Tarag's Forge: Fine Weapons & Armor to save your life

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: Not sure what you need a judge here to do. Anything you negotiate is up to you, as long as when dealing with NPCs you follow the rules (Craft costs and selling rules)

Boddynock

First Post
Bront said:
OOC: Not sure what you need a judge here to do. Anything you negotiate is up to you, as long as when dealing with NPCs you follow the rules (Craft costs and selling rules)
OOC: Oh, OK ... I thought I'd need a judge's approval for any cash transfers. That's what I had in mind, rather than any particular trouble with Richard. :)

Probably should have used a smiley ;) in my last OOC comment.

Boddynock

First Post
Richard Rawen said:
"I've thirty gold, two silver and eight copper, I paid fifty gold each for five potions of cure light wounds because my friend almost died the last time we were out, fighting a land shark. My apologies, a pair of potions and my sweat is all I can offer for my lapse of memory... I'll work off the the balance of the debt as you require."
Richard's bulky frame stands at the ready, the coins are on the bench, he holds two potions of cure light wounds in his hand.
Tarag draws another breath to berate the fellow, then stops. Looking at the young man's earnest face, noting the way he stands straight (if a trifle unsteady), he is impressed despite himself by Richard's sense of honour, and his willingness to make right a problem that he has caused.

The dwarf expels the breath he's just taken in a snort of laughter rather than an expletive.

"Ah, lad - I like you. Your heart's in the right place. It's just that, after all that beer, your head's in a wrong one."

"Keep your potions. Your friend might be in need of them again, and I'll not have it said that Tarag took the breath from a dying comrade. Besides, they can do me no good at this time. I've only just set up this shop, and yours was to be my first big commission. I have no cash on hand, and no ready line of credit yet. Whatever we could get for the potions, were we to sell them, wouldn't cover the cost of the stock for your sword."

Here Tarag pauses as an idea strikes him.

"I don't suppose your friends could loan you the money? Ah well, if not, I'll find a way to persuade the merchant to hold off on making that delivery. It'll not help my reputation with the suppliers, and I'd rather not do it, as I've made a compact with them, but there's no way around it. And I am a damned fine smith, so there'll be plenty of orders in the future!"

Tarag laughs again, and claps Richard on the shoulder. "Don't worry, my friend. There's no harm done. And I've gained a valuable contact, and a loyal customer, eh?"

He nudges Richard in the ribs. "And you - why, you've gained a healthy respect for dwarven ale."

"And who knows - the next time you decide to go off, you might take a cleric with you, too. Keep me in mind. It's not as if I'm making my fortune here at the moment!"

And, roaring with laughter, he indicates to Richard that he should gather up his gear.

Bront

The man with the probe
Boddynock said:
OOC: Oh, OK ... I thought I'd need a judge's approval for any cash transfers. That's what I had in mind, rather than any particular trouble with Richard. :)

Probably should have used a smiley ;) in my last OOC comment.
OOC: I thought that might have been what you ment. Nah, you're fine, and you have a record here of it ;)

Richard Rawen

First Post
Boddynock said:
And, roaring with laughter, he indicates to Richard that he should gather up his gear.

Richards shoulders sag with relief, he indicates he'll check with his friends, then squints "What is the balance after the 33 gold and change?"

Boddynock

First Post
Richard Rawen said:
Richards shoulders sag with relief, he indicates he'll check with his friends, then squints "What is the balance after the 33 gold and change?"
Tarag stands concentrating for a second, doing the calculations.

"Now, you said you have 30 gold, 2 silver and 8 copper. Well, then, that's another 81 gold, 3 silver and 9 coppers you'd need to borrow from your friends. Mind you, that's just for the raw materials."

Here the smith looks at Richard sternly, speaking slowly and with emphasis (just to make sure the befuddled young man remembers).

"Once you've paid that, then we can go ahead and make the sword. It'll be a day's labour for you and me."

"After that, it'll cost you another 122 gold, 8 silver and 3 coppers. Once I have that, then the sword is yours."

Seeing Richard's look of glazed concentration, Tarag asks him, "Look, can you read? Or can your friends? Here, I'll write the figures down and you take it to them. You need to borrow 81 gold, 3 silver, 9 copper for the materials. Then another 122 gold, 8 silver and 3 copper for the finished sword. That's 204 gold, 2 silver and 2 copper altogether."

"Now, your friends may not be able to loan you the whole amount for the sword, so here's what I'll do. If we can make the sword, then I'll hold it for you for three months, at the price we first agreed on. If you're not back in three months, then I'll sell it to whoever wants it - unless you get word to me. Even then, you'll have to pay my normal price. That's another 33 and a half gold."

"Agreed?"

[sblock=OOC] Because time is inherently flexible in an RPG, let's say we're talking real time. That gives you three months to adventure and raise the cash. :) And because PbPs can drag on, sending a message will reserve it for you. ;)

By the way, I've just checked the crafting rules again, and since Richard doesn't have any ranks in the Craft skill, it'll cost him 32 craft points rather than 16. (Inexperienced assistants contribute craft points at half the effective rate that experienced ones do.)

Now, if only Tarag had some other orders, Richard could work off his debt by assisting at the forge rather than in gold. :D [/sblock]

Last edited:

Richard Rawen

First Post
Boddynock said:
Tarag stands concentrating for a second, doing the calculations.

"Now, you said you have 30 gold, 2 silver and 8 copper. Well, then, that's another 81 gold, 3 silver and 9 coppers you'd need to borrow from your friends. Mind you, that's just for the raw materials."

Here the smith looks at Richard sternly, speaking slowly and with emphasis (just to make sure the befuddled young man remembers).

"Once you've paid that, then we can go ahead and make the sword. It'll be a day's labour for you and me."

"After that, it'll cost you another 122 gold, 8 silver and 3 coppers. Once I have that, then the sword is yours."

Seeing Richard's look of glazed concentration, Tarag asks him, "Look, can you read? Or can your friends? Here, I'll write the figures down and you take it to them. You need to borrow 81 gold, 3 silver, 9 copper for the materials. Then another 122 gold, 8 silver and 3 copper for the finished sword. That's 204 gold, 2 silver and 2 copper altogether."

"Now, your friends may not be able to loan you the whole amount for the sword, so here's what I'll do. If we can make the sword, then I'll hold it for you for three months, at the price we first agreed on. If you're not back in three months, then I'll sell it to whoever wants it - unless you get word to me. Even then, you'll have to pay my normal price. That's another 33 and a half gold."

"Agreed?"

[sblock=OOC] Because time is inherently flexible in an RPG, let's say we're talking real time. That gives you three months to adventure and raise the cash. :) And because PbPs can drag on, sending a message will reserve it for you. ;)

By the way, I've just checked the crafting rules again, and since Richard doesn't have any ranks in the Craft skill, it'll cost him 32 craft points rather than 16. (Inexperienced assistants contribute craft points at half the effective rate that experienced ones do.)

Now, if only Tarag had some other orders, Richard could work off his debt by assisting at the forge rather than in gold. :D [/sblock]

Richard is reminded of his brief early childhood with his parents, his Father was a smith, yet the young fighter has no real memory of him, other than you didn't interrupt him when he was speaking.
So it is that Richard allows Tarag to wind down before quietly venturing, "Agreed. I'll see what I can manage, if I can gather the needed coin . . . I'll be right back. Otherwise I shall return when I am able to meet my obligations."
Richard takes up his gear, walking resolutely out of the quiet forge.
[sblock=OOC: ]That sounds fine with me, we'll see what comes next. [/sblock]

Richard Rawen

First Post
About ten minutes later Richard comes back into the store. The relief on his face speaks for him and he strides up to the counter and counts out eighty-two gold pieces.

Boddynock

First Post
Tarag looks up as Richard enters, and smiles as he counts out the coins on the counter.

"You got it? Well done! Those friends of yours came through, eh? Right, here's your change." He puts a little pile of coins totalling 6 silver and 1 copper on the counter and sweeps the gold into a pouch.

"And just in time, too, for here's the wagon."

There follows a hot, dusty hour of unloading stock, after which Tarag hands over the appropriate payment.

"All right, Richard, let's get to work on your sword."

Richard Rawen

First Post
Richard smiles as he wipes his brow. As Tarag had mentioned earlier the manual labor had cleared his head. The young human had already drunk down a bucket of water and was working on another . . . he stepped to Tarag's side and settled in to help work on the blade.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases