DM Prep Work Leading To Burnout: Help?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
What DMs really need is an adventure product that *doesn't* require you to have to read ahead to play it. Wouldn't it be nice as a DM to just pick up the module as you are about to play and start? 0 prep time.

I'm surprised no one has designed such adventures.

JohnnFour

Explorer
Flynn said:
Johnn,

I would like to take a quick moment here to thank you

Thanks Jason.

DaveMage said:
What DMs really need is an adventure product that *doesn't* require you to have to read ahead to play it. Wouldn't it be nice as a DM to just pick up the module as you are about to play and start? 0 prep time.

Agreed. Especially now that publishers are no longer bound by book format (sorry for the pun). PDFs provide lots of design opportunities without being constrained by page counts and printing costs. Internet tools are possible too, though I'm not sure if those would be profitable.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
DaveMage said:

I think the new WoTC "delve" format is a step in that direction. I'm not sure how you'd go to complete "zero prep." Adding info about the purpose and consequences of each encounter might be one way...

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Kid Charlemagne said:
I think the new WoTC "delve" format is a step in that direction. I'm not sure how you'd go to complete "zero prep." Adding info about the purpose and consequences of each encounter might be one way...

Such adventures would probably not be plot-heavy.

I'm thinking more of the so-called "beer & pretzels" type games where you go in with a basic premise (e.g., go into the dungeon and find the "Scepter of Power") and get out.

Dr Simon

Explorer
DaveMage said:

It's an interesting proposition, a 'plug and play' adventure. Hmm....

Ry

Explorer
Dr Simon said:
It's an interesting proposition, a 'plug and play' adventure. Hmm....

If you could do a game with cards... say an E6 game so you could control the power level and the statblocks could be short, you could literally have a game that the GM neither prepped, nor really knew what would happen in advance. It could be a bit board-gamey, but the GM could add any plot they wanted to it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases