E6: The Game Inside D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Explorer
phindar said:
If you were to play a campaign for a couple of years, do you think feat bloat would become a problem?

Well, so far, so good, the highest was 6th+12 IMC. I don't really think feat bloat would become a problem, because it hasn't so far. But I'm on the lookout in my playtesting.

Last edited:

Emryys

Explorer
I'm really liking the look of this... :)

Lately I'm a C&C convert, but since I'd like to run games for a wider audience... ;)

This needs a fancy/shiney pdf!

Ry

Explorer
Welcome Emryys!

I agree this thing needs a fancy / shiny .pdf, but I have little to no talent in that area. I'd really love to see E6 done up that way; perhaps 2 separate .pdfs

1) E6 advancement rules and extra feats
2) Conviction and the Death Flag (and maybe Raising Stakes, which I haven't included yet but which I'll be playtesting soon)

Emryys

Explorer
I'm wondering if the pdf "Buy the numbers" could add flexibility to the costs of buys feats/abilities after 6th Lvl...

I could also make a simple pdf... just need the info listed how you want it in a simple format like word or txt...

green slime

First Post
I was wondering if you had considered making the various class abilities that normally would only come into play after level 6 available as feats?

Consider Druids, for example:
I know there is already an Epic feat "Extra Wildshape" for instance. So in your experience, would you allow a "venom immunity" or "Wild shape:large" feats?

Aegir

First Post
I don't see why you couldn't do that. But without levels (beyond 6th), the difficult part would be setting up requirements.

kensanata

Explorer
I like the PDF somebody posted containing the character stuff up to level 6. What I'd be interested in seeing is the list of non-core feats you found to be useful. I don't have any splat books, and I'm assuming there is a small number of essential feats that make this system work. That would save me the time and effort to write two or three interesting feat chains, I think.

green slime

First Post
Another consideration: How did you arrive at the cost of 5000 xp per feat post 6th level?

Or, to put it another way: considering that it took 5000 xp to get from 5th level, to 6th, I'm assuming the cost should likewise increase per feat to 7000 xp per feat, if you stop at level 8, or 9000 xp per feat at 10th level. In order for the actual cost of the feat to be on par with the actual effort required to collect the xp.

Khuxan

First Post
kensanata said:
I like the PDF somebody posted containing the character stuff up to level 6.

I produced three texts for Ry20:
Ry20 Player's Handbook zip
Ry20 Classes pdf
Ry20 Feats pdf (Incomplete)

For new feats, I think the most pressing issue is for multiclass casters to get more spellcasting.

Improved Spell Knowledge
Prerequisites: Character level 6, access to 1st-level spells.
Benefit: Choose a spontaneous spellcasting class you have levels in. Your spells known improve as if you were one level higher in that class. This feat cannot improve your effective class level to greater than 6.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time, it improves your spells known by one level, or applies to a new spontaneous casting class.

Improved Spells Per Day
Prerequisites: Character level 6, access to 1st-level spells.
Benefit: Choose a spellcasting class you have levels in. Your spells per day improve as if you were one level higher in that class. This feat cannot improve your effective class level to greater than 6.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time, it improves your spells known by one level, or applies to a new spontaneous casting class.

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
green slime said:
Another consideration: How did you arrive at the cost of 5000 xp per feat post 6th level?

Or, to put it another way: considering that it took 5000 xp to get from 5th level, to 6th, I'm assuming the cost should likewise increase per feat to 7000 xp per feat, if you stop at level 8, or 9000 xp per feat at 10th level. In order for the actual cost of the feat to be on par with the actual effort required to collect the xp.

The way it evolved: Originally, I thought to myself, "If I'm going to give them feats instead of level 7, maybe 2 feats per level would work. That way they would have this great feeling of advancement without popping the top off the power level."

But in play, the players found it was too fast, and I agreed. They're pretty crafty fellows, and 3000 xp meant they were getting 2 feats a session sometimes. There just wasn't time in-game for their characters to grow.

I upped it to 4500 xp, and it was still just a little fast. 5000 xp has been "just right" - also, you get the added benefit of looking at characters like this:

15k xp = 6th
20k xp = 6th+1
25k xp = 6th+2
30k xp = 6th+3

and so on.

If I were to stop at 8th, I'd say 7k XP would be a good starting point, but actual play would be the best guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases