E6: The Game Inside D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbojones

First Post
green slime said:
There is a feat which grants 5 skill points. You can take it multiple times. You aren't allowed to break the rank limit in any individual skill of 9 (level +3) if its a class skill, or 4 if its a cross-class skill.

Sounds like that fits the bill very well.

Looking forward to trying this, I must say! I think I'll start writing up a campaign setting for it on the weekend. Something grim and gritty, with ancient serpent people ruling decaying cities in jungles to the south and raiding for slaves amongst the younger human settlements of the plains. With Vikings for added nutritional goodness :D

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Man. This is gold. I have a very tight day to day schedule which really makes it hard for me to fit in rules-heavy games like D&D, so this is just what the doctor ordered :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
P.S. If you want a fancy/shiny PDF, let me know. I just obtained a grip of epic-ish Arthur Rackham artwork (all public domain but still sexy) and I have about 2500 fonts, so I can do quite a bit on that end ;) I'll just need you to email the text that you want converted in a RTF format.

jeffh

Adventurer
A couple of questions about Conviction.

First of all, it says you can spend 1 Conviction to roll an extra d20 on a check. Is that word "check" meant to be taken literally, or can it be applied to attacks and saves as well? (It is clear the reroll for using 2 conviction can.)

Secondly, there is no @ symbol next to the ability to gain an extra standard action. Again, is this deliberate, meaning it can be done out of turn?

joela

First Post
4th and higher level spells

rycanada said:
I like high-magic, high-powered campaigns. Is E6 for me?
Probably not. Just as D&D can’t be all things to all groups, E6 caters to a specific set of tastes.

I do, too.

Here's a possible compromise. An wizard, if they find such spells, can memorize and cast a 4th or higher level spell if 1) they're 6th level and 2) their Int. mod. is at least equal to the spell level. Thus, a wizard must have at least an 18 Intelligence to memorize and cast a 4th level spell (Int. modifier is +4) while a 28 Int. (+9 modifier) is required to memorize and cast a 9th level spell!

Note wizards can only hold a limited number of 4th or higher spells in their minds at once. The maximum number of spell levels is equal to their Int. modifier. The 18 Int. wizard, for example, can only hold in their mind and cast one 4th level spell while one with a 28 Int. could memorize and cast one 4th and one fifth level spell (4 + 5 equals the +9 modifier). A wizard, obviously, doesn't have to use their full modifier (i.e., memorize a 6th spell, leaving +3 alone).

I'd probably require the spell caster to make a Concentration check due to the mindwarping nature of such powerful spells, with d4/spell level points of non-lethal damage if they fail (or worse, temporarily lose 1 Int./spell level!).

Sorcerers, because they "create" their spells, would "develop" such higher spells probably with feats of some sort. The above restriction, though, still applies.

The advantage of the above system is that it allows players to have arcane PCs with (possible) access to phenomenal spells (and one explanation to those +4 swords or scroll of cloudkill!) without unbalancing the low magic nature of E6.

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
joela said:
I do, too.

Here's a possible compromise. An wizard, if they find such spells, can memorize and cast a 4th or higher level spell if 1) they're 6th level and 2) their Int. mod. is at least equal to the spell level. Thus, a wizard must have at least an 18 Intelligence to memorize and cast a 4th level spell (Int. modifier is +4) while a 28 Int. (+9 modifier) is required to memorize and cast a 9th level spell!

Note they can only hold a limited number of 4th or higher spells. The maximum number of spell levels is equal to the Int. modifier. A 18 Int. wizard, for example, can only hold and cast one 4th level spell while one with a 28 Int. could memorize one 4th and one fifth level spells (4 + 5 equals the +9 modifier). A wizard, obviously, doesn't have to use their full modifier (i.e., memorize a 6th spell, leaving 3 modifiers alone).

I'd probably require the spell caster to make a Concentration check due to the mindwarping nature of such powerful spells, with d4/spell level points of non-lethal damage (or worse, temporarily lose 1 Int./spell level!) if they fail.

Sorcerers, because they develop their spells almost like abilities, would "develop" such spells probably with feats of some sort. The above restriction, though, still applies.

While you are free to introduce such things to your game, for me what makes this subset of the rules interesting for me is the lack of higher level spells!

Firstly what you are suggesting breaks the very idea behind the concept (nicely balanced classes, limited to 6th level abilities), and will once again cause the power curve to land squarely in the court of the spellcaster.

Secondly, it is introducing a new mechanic, which rycanada was quite specific about trying to avoid.

Emryys

Explorer
jdrakeh said:
P.S. If you want a fancy/shiny PDF, let me know. I just obtained a grip of epic-ish Arthur Rackham artwork (all public domain but still sexy) and I have about 2500 fonts, so I can do quite a bit on that end ;) I'll just need you to email the text that you want converted in a RTF format.

Love to see it... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases