Ode To Dessy Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imreis

First Post
So call me a stickler for fluidity but I read lots of descriptions out there every time I come into chat and many of you are great writers in training who could just use a few pointers. Now don't change on account of me but I thought I would like to share my pointers with you all since lately I've been getting plenty of requests to help write something up for other players.

1. Try to avoid possessive words like: He/She, His/Hers to start of all your sentences. It's alright to use every so often but it just gets redundant and it ends up not portraying a clear mental image. Try using a thesaurus to help you along which great ones can be found online.

2. Punctuation. Periods are your friends as are Comma's but they do not have to be used like they are going out of fashion! The biggest thing to remember is when writing: a period is a pause to breath, a comma is a half pause, and the semi colon is used when referencing a similar area of something but starting a new topic.

3. I can not stress enough to reread what you wrote out loud to yourself a few times before finalizing it. When reading it to yourself over stress punctuation, this will help point out in your mind where something should or should not be.

4. Make it flow especially when talking about the clothing or armour or what ever they may be wearing. Big tip here that I use. Try to think about how you look at someone when you first meet them.

a: Starting at their boots.
Boots, Pants/greaves, belt/sash, shirt/vest, coat, neckwear.

b. Starting at head.
Head gear, neckwear, coat, shirt/vest, belt/sash, pants/greaves, boots.

If they are wearing full armouring still follow a similar layout. This allows the readers eye to more accurately follow a picture forming in their head of what this individual will look like.

5. Spell checking. Can't stress this one enough; everyone does it occasionally and it can't be helped but that is what rereading is for. If your not sure on the spelling of something some great sites to check out are online dictionaries which will offer you an alternate for what you could have meant, and if you have Word or Works those come with built in spell checkers.

6. Lastly, never be ashamed of having someone else look it over for you to double check spelling errors, punctuation, and redundancy.

7. Please do not add in anything to your dessy like; your profession, that you are on the run, that you steal...nothing like that tells me what you look like. Next, please please please dont tell me your personality, id rather watch and find out then read it and rell myself not to interact with you if i already know your antisocial. Unless its telling people what they can physically see by eye or smell on you then do not list it.

Last edited:

Magi_Apolline

ISRP Moderator
Remember folks, this is a game. Lets not turn description writing into a popularity contest.

But some very good points have been made!

Last edited:

Akea

First Post
*snickers*

Here's another good one. When typing out the word 'your', be sure to clarify that in the sentence it is used properly. I just have to pick on Immy for this one, not pointing any fingers at where the error was. When stating something that would normally be said as 'you are', type 'you're' - not your. Grammar errors, nyar.

I wuv u Immy. ^_^

Ruthia

First Post
Personally I like this...gives me something to use as a referance. Thanks Immy.

But yeah..Immy and common don't mix. Specially grammer.

Imreis

First Post
*coughs* I never claimed to know what i was talking about when it comes to grammer...hence why i pointed it out?

Khaira

First Post
As many-a-English professor has told me, "KISS: Keep it simple (short), stupid!"

It might be a good service to those who find these sort of tutorials useful to sticky this, too. *Shrugs*

Mission_Poster

First Post
Here's one for you.. descriptions should be written like one from a real book right? So what's with all the parenthesis?? I haven't read a book where it says something like 'green hair is short (and very bright) and tied up...' And I don't mean things like (( Is immune to telepathy )) at the bottom, those are necessary. Mostly. Kudos on the info Immy!

Edit: Another thing, how come everyone always looks their age? Don't plenty of people in real life look young, but are really 5 years older? Maybe not, but you know what I mean... and if you don't I'll tell you. Why put your for sure age in your description?? I can understand it saying 'Summer appears to have seen 17 years...' rather than 'Summer is 17.'

Last edited:

Kalreil

First Post
Ehh, looks can be tricky, true, the looks to be___ years old tends to work.#7 is a good one.Personallity can show through though, like if a person is cheerfull and smiling, or twitchy and angry looking.Those tend to be situational though.

Ruthia

First Post
Ruthia doesn't look her age. She looks in her twenties...but she's really fifty. And yeah I agree with number 7 too. I mean if you add all that to your dessy then you take all the fun out of discovering it myself. Now thats not saying you can nor do something like "Appears nervous and twitchy, prehaps pointing to something having happened in her past" or something physical about their work like "Always seems to have a few animal hides on him" Just don't tell me exactly whats it is..I wanna figure it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases