Tact-Tiles

Catavarie

First Post
I've heard the wonders of Tact-tiles and read many reviews of them, unfortunately they are not in production as many of you know; although even if they were I can't afford them. But I do want at least a close approximation of the tact tiles so I figured why not create my own. But I've never seen them up close and personal, I have no idea what type of material they are made out of or how the surface feels to use them.

So I come you to EnWorlders and ask your help. If you have a set of these Tact Tiles I would like to know some basics about them.

What type of material do they use? Wood? Plastic? Foam Board?

What kind of finish does it have? Laminate? Enamel coating?

Are they rigid or flexible?

I know that the dimensions are 10" x 10" already so that at least gives me a starting point. I juse need to figure out the materials that seem to work best.

Agamon

Adventurer
They're plastic and rigid. Not absolutely sure of the finish, but it looks to be the same finish used on dry erase boards.

Mercule

Adventurer
Agamon said:
They're plastic and rigid. Not absolutely sure of the finish, but it looks to be the same finish used on dry erase boards.

Definitely not whiteboard finish. It's a very smooth, solid plastic about 1/8" thick. The grids are etched in, but still smooth. You could probably achieve something similar with an opaque plexiglass (which may be what it's made of).

When you get right down to it, I'm happy with my purchase. I'd even think about getting another three squares, if they were available.

Garnfellow

Explorer
As an aside, can anyone point me to a press release or something about tact-tiles halting production? It's too bad that one of the most useful gaming items I've ever bought is no longer being made.

If you go to their order page, there is an overlay in bright colors explaining that one of the key suppliers is no longer viable, and they haven't found a replacement yet. Too bad, as they are a terrific product. I still want a transparent set, though :) I like the newer line style, as well.

JRR_Talking

First Post
you could try printing your grid on thickish card and then using a laminator

if u have the skill u can then cut an interlocking shape into them

this is wot i have been playing with / attempting thus far

Mercule

Adventurer
JRR_Talking said:
you could try printing your grid on thickish card and then using a laminator

if u have the skill u can then cut an interlocking shape into them

this is wot i have been playing with / attempting thus far

You, sir, have obviously never used Tact Tiles. ;)

It isn't even a fair comparison -- more like saying, "Well, you could always use little scraps of torn paper instead of minis.

der_kluge

Adventurer
They are about 1' square, and shaped sort of like a puzzle piece. So they all interconnect.

They are about 1/4 inch thick, made of hard gray plastic. They have little brown lines on the surface marking off 1" grid.

It seems like a 1/4" thick piece of plexiglass would probably work. I would approach a signing shop to see if they could make you something similar.

Remove ads