Good counter for Solid Fog?

Erywin

First Post
I agree with frank, if the BBEG knows that the party is most likely coming back then he should fortify his stronghold. Since he can cast 6th lvl cleric spells I highly suggest that he finds the cash to cast forbiddance to cover his sanctum, leaving a 10' square so that he can summon in the Mephits :D

Hope that helps, keep us posted on how the encounter goes :D

Cheers,
E

Thurbane

First Post
He's in an isolated stronghold in the badlands, and has no item creation feats, so whipping up a batch of humanbane weapons isn't an option (and only 1 of the party is human anyway). :) My game isn't strictly RAW - item creation is a very rare occurrence at the best of times.

The cleric is keeping to himself trying to assemble pieces from an ancient artifact, of which the party had one but he (his minions) stole.

I'll let you know how the battle goes. ;)

Darklone

Sooo... the typical party rushing in and out to rest for days?

If I were the BBEG, I'd have a nice welcome party prepared. With mercenaries, planar allies and other fun.

thorian

Explorer
Thurbane said:
but his minions were effectively trapped in a room, moving at only 5 feet per round (no SR, no save).
Their speed is reduced to 5', not their entire movement for the round, so they can double move 10'.

Thurbane

First Post
thorian said:
Their speed is reduced to 5', not their entire movement for the round, so they can double move 10'.
Are you sure? The wording seems to imply a total of 5 feet per round:

Solid Fog

Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 4 Components: V, S, M Duration: 1 min./level Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions like fog cloud, but in addition to obscuring sight, the solid fog is so thick that any creature attempting to move through it progresses at a speed of 5 feet, regardless of its normal speed, and it takes a –2 penalty on all melee attack and melee damage rolls. The vapors prevent effective ranged weapon attacks (except for magic rays and the like). A creature or object that falls into solid fog is slowed, so that each 10 feet of vapor that it passes through reduces falling damage by 1d6. A creature can’t take a 5-foot step while in solid fog.

However, unlike normal fog, only a severe wind (31+ mph) disperses these vapors, and it does so in 1 round.

Solid fog can be made permanent with a permanency spell. A permanent solid fog dispersed by wind reforms in 10 minutes.

Material Component: A pinch of dried, powdered peas combined with powdered animal hoof.
Actually, re-reading it, I believe you are right...

Thurbane

First Post
Darklone said:
Sooo... the typical party rushing in and out to rest for days?

If I were the BBEG, I'd have a nice welcome party prepared. With mercenaries, planar allies and other fun.
He's been summoning up more (minor) devils, and leaving Glyphs about...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Although it is a technicality, he probably won't want to be summoning many things (because they don't last long and can't do permanent stuff for him), but he may well be wanting to use the Planar Ally series of spells to call allies to come and help him - some of them could cast longer lasting spells on his behalf, he can promise them his daughters hand in marriage and the souls of the adventurers etc.

If he is LE he could get a Barbed devil (excellent bodyguard with its improved grab and barbed grapple), Bone Devil (wall of ice at will? most excellent for splitting up parties and controlling the battlefield.) Advanced Erinyes (DC19 charm monster at will, automatic true seeing too). The former too also get unlimited major image, which could easily lead to opponents chasing shadows in the fog.

For his defensive purposes, I can't recommend too highly the under-utilised Anti-Life shell. The cleric can sit safely in there, melee guys can't touch him (and if there is solid fog around nobody is going to be shooting at him), plus his devil allies can move in and out of it at any time, since they are not effected.

Cheers

Thurbane

First Post
By summoning, I mean permanently bringing to the plane through rituals and a portal, not as in Summon Monster....should have made that clear I guess.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I kinda guessed that was what you were saying, just mentioned it for completeness :)

Back in 3.0e some of the callable devils were much more useful... I had an adventure in my campaign which was predicated on the 3.0 bearded devils to Animate Dead at will. the evil wizard called the devil, made a deal with him and went around ransacking villages and getting the fiend to animate them and march them off to his holding cave. He had got 300-400 zombies in the cave by the time the adventurers caught up with him, and he was ready to unleash uncontrolled armageddon on those who had slighted him.

Turn undead turns out to be fairly useless against an overwhelming number of zombies, as it hardly dents their numbers. The party ended up using up an entire wand of lightning bolts that day :)

Sadly for evil DMs, the 3.5 bearded devil lost many of his neat magical powers (shame!)

Cheers

Darklone

Fiendish Medusa archers for battlefield control. Luve them.

Sadly you need Planar Ally for that, Lesser PA doesn't work thanks to LA.

One day per caster level... Assuming he has enough money, this is the way to go.

And if I were him, I'd waste the players loot!

Remove ads