Doctor Who to get extra companion.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6260374.stm

Doctor Who is to have a new companion when the drama returns - but there will still be room for his current co-star.
Actress Freema Agyeman is to play Martha Jones in three episodes of spin-off show Torchwood. She said it was a chance to "expand" her character.

She will miss the first half of the fourth series of Doctor Who, but will then return to the BBC One programme.

The new companion will be revealed soon and will appear in the entire 13-week run, which begins filming this month.

Former Crossroads actress Agyeman, 28, impressed producers with a brief appearance in the minor role of alien expert Adeola.

They invited her to try for the part of David Tennant's sidekick when Billie Piper left at the end of the second series. The show is in its fourth series since its revival in 2005, having ended previously in 1989 after 26 years.

The third series of Doctor Who, which concluded in the UK on Saturday, had gained "outstanding reviews", according to Russell T Davies, its executive producer and head writer.

"Freema has been a huge part of that success, gaining rave notices for her portrayal of Martha," he added.

"Now we are taking the character of Martha into brand new territory with a starring role in Torchwood."

In May, Agyeman told BBC News how overwhelming it felt to be constantly recognised in public.

"Everyone's calling my name so it feels surreal," she said, as she walked up the red carpet at the Bafta TV Awards.

Well, that answers the question of how soon Martha will be returning to the TARDIS. I wonder what the new companion will be like? Another woman? Or will we get an Adric, Turlough, Jamie or the like? Or some weird alien? I'd reckon a human is pretty likely, as an easy buy-in for the viewer. Interesting...

horacethegrey

First Post
Oh dear lord... :(

Actress Freema Agyeman is to play Martha Jones in three episodes of spin-off show Torchwood. She said it was a chance to "expand" her character.
Please, by all that's decent. I loved Martha. I thought she was a great replacement for Rose. Don't taint her by having her appear in Torchwood, where she's sure to go all emo and adult (note the sarcasm) like the rest of the characters. The last thing I need is to see her getting in a threesome with Jack and Gwen. :\

On to good news though, love the news about a new companion. I'm hoping it's a guy this time. Having the Doctor travel with a woman is starting to feel a bit stale. A change would be welcome. :)

delericho

Legend
Adding a second (perhaps even a third) regular companion is almost certainly a good idea. If I were running the show I would also be looking to try to lock in a relatively fixed cast for a few years. The format of Doctor Who does allow for cast members to move on... but you still don't want to do it too often.

Moving Martha to Torchwood for three episodes is almost certainly a really bad idea. I doubt it will be good for either the character or the series.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Heh. I really like Torchwood and was very happy to see Jack head back to his team at the end of Last of the Timelords. The idea of Martha appearing in some Torchwood episodes is a great move as far as I am concerned. A threesome with Jack and Gwen would just be a bonus!

Huw

First Post
horacethegrey said:
On to good news though, love the news about a new companion. I'm hoping it's a guy this time. Having the Doctor travel with a woman is starting to feel a bit stale. A change would be welcome. :)

In the new series he's had just as many male companions (Adam, Jack, Micky) as female (Rose, Donna, Martha). He just hasn't had a male companion on his own.

Trivia question: Which three classic series stories does the Doctor not have a female companion?

Answers:
1. The Massacre (Dodo joins after the story)
2. The Deadly Assassin (No companion at all)
3. The Keeper of Traken (Nyssa does not join until the following story)

horacethegrey

First Post
delericho said:
Moving Martha to Torchwood for three episodes is almost certainly a really bad idea. I doubt it will be good for either the character or the series.
I'm willing to give it a chance. After all, she's only appearing in 3 episodes. But the minute they start pissing on her character and she stops acting like the Martha we know, I'm swearing off Torchwood altogether.

Huw said:
In the new series he's had just as many male companions (Adam, Jack, Micky) as female (Rose, Donna, Martha). He just hasn't had a male companion on his own.[/SPOILER]
They were hardly companions. They've never stuck around long enough or formed a lasting a connection with the Doctor like the women have. Adam betrayed the Doctor and was punished as a result. Micky was alright, but he knew from the start that the Doctor would always look out for Rose first and foremost, which is why leaving was easy for him. The closest to being a real companion was Jack, but it's obvious the creative team wants him to forge in his own direction, hence Torchwood.

For one, I'm hoping the new companion, if it's a guy, turns to be like Jamie.

sniffles

First Post
Mark Hope said:
Heh. I really like Torchwood and was very happy to see Jack head back to his team at the end of Last of the Timelords. The idea of Martha appearing in some Torchwood episodes is a great move as far as I am concerned. A threesome with Jack and Gwen would just be a bonus!
I agree. I think it will be interesting to see what happens there, as she and Jack have now forged a bond through their shared experience. I'm expecting some jealousy from the rest of the Torchwood crew. And I'll be looking forward to seeing if Jack gets some of his morality back after what just happened to him. Martha could act as a bit of a conscience for him so he doesn't slip back into old habits once he's reunited with his team.

Anyway, I'm not surprised by this development and am looking forward to it. I'll be eager to see Martha rejoin the Doctor, but one of the things I've really liked about the new Doctor Who series is that they acknowledge things like the emotional relationships between the Doctor and his companions, and what happens to the companions when they leave the TARDIS for good. I expect what happens in Torchwood will help Martha decide to go back to the Doctor permanently.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Maybe it is just me, but the relationship between the programs of Doctor Who and Torchwood feels more than a bit like the relationship between the programs Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

The Grumpy Celt said:
Maybe it is just me, but the relationship between the programs of Doctor Who and Torchwood feels more than a bit like the relationship between the programs Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

Except that I liked both Buffy and Angel. Whereas, while I like Dr. Who, I watched the first half of the first season of Torchwood and gave up in disgust at the sheer stupidity of the characters. :mad:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases