Doctor Who to get extra companion.

Huw

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Except that I liked both Buffy and Angel. Whereas, while I like Dr. Who, I watched the first half of the first season of Torchwood and gave up in disgust at the sheer stupidity of the characters. :mad:

Torchwood blew hot and cold, due to the writers not quite knowing the characters. That's why they seemed to change every single week. I've high hopes for season 2 - should be a lor more consistent.

The better stories are all found in the second half, so give it another go. Out of Time is wonderful, and Random Shoes and Captain Jack Harkness are both pretty good.

Grog

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
Maybe it is just me, but the relationship between the programs of Doctor Who and Torchwood feels more than a bit like the relationship between the programs Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

I don't know. Angel wasn't very good at the beginning, but it didn't take long for it to surpass Buffy in terms of quality. While Torchwood started out strong, but faltered as it went on and never really realized its potential. I'd say that Doctor Who has remained the superior show (though it certainly had its own share of problems this past season).

Some of the eps I saw were from the latter half of the season. (I shouldn't have said "first half." It was closer to first 3/4--about 8 or 9 of the 13 eps.)

I didn't really see any improvement. I just had a real problem with almost every character on the show. :( Not trying to convince anyone else, just saying that it wasn't for me.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Mouseferatu said:
I didn't really see any improvement. I just had a real problem with almost every character on the show. :( Not trying to convince anyone else, just saying that it wasn't for me.

I know what you mean - I couldn't connect with any of the characters, and found the plots pretty dire. In every episode that I actually watched the Torchwood team weren't able to actually make any positive difference in anyones lives!

(The only episode that I liked was the one with the dead guy following the woman around... and possible the one with the device that showed a snippet of the past in a location)

Grog

First Post
For me, I thought that Torchwood had one of the best series pilots I've ever seen, but it never really lived up to the potential that was displayed there. The only other really standout episode was They Keep Killing Suzie - everything else was of middling quality at best.

And actually, I think part of the problem is Captain Jack. I just don't know if he belongs on the kind of show that RTD obviously wants Torchwood to be. Jack is at his best when he's off on an adventure, having fun, and flirting with everything in sight. I just don't think he's a good choice for the role of brooding, tortured soul.

Jack was much more fun to watch on Doctor Who this year than he was on Torchwood.

But, I'll give it another chance next season. I hope things improve.

Fast Learner

First Post
In retrospect, I realize that what I meant to type was "got stronger," not "got strong." I certainly agree that the best of Torchwood was pretty close to the worst of this season's Dr. Who. Watchable, mostly, but nothing to write home about.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
...the sheer stupidity of the characters. :mad:
Funnily enough, this was one of the things that I liked about the show. I really dug the fact that the characters were these really selfish, stupid, short-sighted little humans, continually screwing things up and not making much of a difference in the larger picture at all. Dunno why - it just hit a button for me :).

Remove ads