[IC] Underdogs [a core dnd game]




+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 226
  1. #1

    [IC] Underdogs [a core dnd game]

    Winter is receding, releasing her cold grasp on the land. The days are getting longer. The sun has recovered a little of her warmth. Slowly the snow is beginning to melt, filling the streams and creeks, turning them into tiny torrents that will continue to grow through the spring. Finally the animals can be let out of the halls where they have resided for the winter season. But only for short periods during the day, for the snow still covers much of the ground and there is still little for them to graze on. So mucking out each day remains on the list of daily chores for the time being.

    The Falls are a mix of spaces, from large halls big enough to play bulldog in, to small niches hidden out of sight where one can retreat to get a little peace. Its always possible to get away from someone, or everyone. But only for a while. After two months of being largely trapped inside, its good to be able to get outside.

    But not everything is good. There have been several raids on early season caravans passing through the region. The goblins seem to have come down from the mountains for some reason. There have been three funerals in Horak-krel already. Numerous grell sport fresh scars and serious faces. Also, a few days ago the old hunter Hussik left to go hunting for the day. He hasn't returned. So no one travels far from the Fall alone these days. And almost everyone keeps a weapon tucked in their belt.

    * * *

    The winter meadow, as it is known, lies about half a mile from the Bardican fall up a little track. The meadow is usually one of the first to thaw and have feed. It is located on a south facing slope and there is a small cliff at the bottom, allowing the sun's light to reach the ground even this early in the season. This morning, the sun is almost warm, although the wind still has a chilly touch. Fortunately, it is coming from the west, meaning sunny sheltered spots can be found along the tree-line. The snow is still cold.

    Mongro is there, because the goats belong to his fall. Assaq is the also. He spends so much time at Mongo's fall, they have taken to putting him to work. Mongro's sister is there also, along with her dog, Borsta.

    After several hours the goats have almost finished eating out the pasture. As you contemplate heading home and a bowl of hot stew for lunch, a swirl of cold wind from the north whispers across the meadow, sneaking its cold fingers into your sheltered spot. A ripple of movement passes through the herd. Noses and ears go up, heads turn to the north. A billy paws the ground and tosses its head. Borsta, still young, surges to her feet. Her hackles are up and low throaty growl rumbles up from deep inside. She launches herself across the meadow kicking up muddy snow with each great stride, barking furiously. The goats scatter in every direction except northward.

    OOC
    Place yourself wherever you wish. The meadow, for simplicity's sake, is about 300 x 300 feet. Trees line the north, east and west edges. The characters can see about 30 to 40 feet into the forest. There is a cliff along the south edge. Common sense, especially with recent events, would mean everyone has a weapon or two with them. As for armour, its up to you whether your character would choose to wear it to watch goats. For this round I will say you are surprised, although its not really a surprise round as such. Characters may take one standard action, I'll take them in the order of posting. Roll initiative for the next round. Invisible Castle is good.

    Some thoughts on posts and posting

    "Talking marks" for anything spoken aloud.
    Italics for thoughts.
    Please don't use coloured text.

    OOC notes can be added to the bottom of IC posts, but should be SBLOCKED. OOC comments without any IC text should go in the OOC thread.

    It is a good idea to remind me of any modifiers, feats or special abilities that you think might come into play. You can also use Invisible Castle to make any rolls you know your character will need.

    During combat, I'll do a single summary for each round. Ideally, I like to turn over a round every 24 hours. If you haven't posted, I'll do a little ghost-hacking. If I can't decide what your character would do, they may just freeze - caught in two minds, frozen by indecision, paralysed by fear, whatever. It happens to all of us now and then. So may I recommend posting your character's goals as well as actions.

    doghead
    aka thotd
    Last edited by doghead; Friday, 23rd November, 2007 at 12:55 PM.
    (-_-)


    [LEW] Jaan Saaresar of Orsilia, servant of the Greenman, is currently in - Limbo -

 

  • #2
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    Assaq's head snaps up at the noise. He springs to his feet and quickly strings his bow and nocks an arrow, eyes scanning the northern forest for movement. He sniffs the north wind, hoping for a hint of what frightened the herd.

    ooc

    initiative: 1d20+2=21
    perception check if you need it: 1d20+7=23

    Assaq will definitely be wearing armor, pretty much always unless he's resting for the evening somewhere safe, e.g. his own fell. As for placement, I guess it really depends on where our sheltered spot is. I'm guessing it will be fairly near the woods to the north, but in the sun.

    In combat, Assaq will try to use his bow as much as possible. He'll try to let Mongo do the front line work, and will maneuver as necessary to get good shots, preferring 5' steps to be able to do a full attack (with rapid shot) whenever possible. He won't draw sword and shield unless it's impossible or impractical to maneuver for a shot.
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • #3
    Borsta continues across the meadow and disappears into the trees.

    Assaq is able to follow her progress through the trees for about 30 feet before all he can really make out is movement here and there against the white and grey background of the snow covered forest. The deep banks and drifts of snow slow the dog considerably, but even so, she has gone at least 40 feet into the trees.

    Mongro's sister shouts at Borsta, telling her to come back. Borsta pays no attention, and Mongro's sister stamps her foot in annoyance.

    Mongro, meanwhile, climbs to his feet. Seeing Assaq prepare his bow, Mongro draws his own weapon.

    The dog's barking becomes an angry snarl. There is an angry, fiendish shriek. Borsta snarling becomes that of a dog fighting. Another unearthly shriek. All accompanied by the sound of something crashing around in the undergrowth.

    The goats scatter across the meadow.

    Assaq still can't make anything out clearly through the trees. But he can see something in there with the dog. And it is large.

    "What is it, Assaq?" hiss Mongro.

    Knowledge Nature DC 10
    Whatever Borsta has run across, its not a 'normal' animal.

    Knowledge Nature DC 15
    Stories tell of a creature with a terrible shriek something like that just heard. The Owlbear. An unnatural magical merging of two creatures, it is permanently angry and exceptionally dangerous. Fortunately, it is also rather stupid.


    OOC
    I'm going to assume everyone is reasonably close together, about half way along the western side of the meadow where it is a little more sheltered from the wind. That puts the characters about say 200 feet from where the dog entered the trees along the northern side of the meadow. The track back to the Fall is located at the southern end of the eastern side of the meadow.

    Chopping wood and mucking out halls in armour won't be much fun

    Does Assaq's animal companion have a name? Is it with him now?
    (-_-)


    [LEW] Jaan Saaresar of Orsilia, servant of the Greenman, is currently in - Limbo -

  • #4
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    "Sounds like an owlbear. Large and fierce, but stupid." Assaq says, not bothering to hide his voice under the din of the frightened goats and the unearthly shrieking. "Borsta! Here!" he shouts.

    ooc

    Kn(nature): 1d20+7=23
    Handle Animal to call the dog back: 1d20+4=10

    Assaq probably isn't the type to give his wolf a name, and bringing it along while herding goats is probably not a great idea. The wolf might behave, but the goats... Possibly we could say that it's within call, but will take a few minutes to arrive?
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • #5
    ic - Underdogs

    Round 1

    If Borsta heard Assaq's command, there is no indication of it. Snarls, shrieks and the sound of crashing around continues.

    "Assaq, do something!" shouts Mongro's sister*. Assaq can't tell if its a demand or a plea. Mongro's sister scoops up the light crossbow she has brought with her and with shaking hands, levers it into the firing position and drops in a bolt.

    Mongro nods in response to Assaq's reply. But he's not really sure what that means they should do. Mongro's pretty sure they should do something.

    "So we kill it."

    "If you don't I will," Mongro's sister states. Bringing the crossbow up to her waist, she takes a determined step forward.

    Mongro matches his sister's motion, keeping level with her. His gaze flickers between Assaq, to his sister and forest.

    OOC
    * If the last OotS (#472) is anything to go by, Mongro's sister is not long for this world. Perhaps someone will save her.

    Assaq's wolf companion can be where he wants it.
    (-_-)


    [LEW] Jaan Saaresar of Orsilia, servant of the Greenman, is currently in - Limbo -

  • #6
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    Quote Originally Posted by doghead
    "So we kill it."
    "Yes," Assaq grunts. "Come."

    He advances toward the forest, bow half-drawn in case the creature charges.
    OOC

    Move 30' towards the sounds, ready action to attack if I can see the owlbear.

    LOL at the OotS reference. I guess Mungro better show up; I don't know what his sister's name is.

    Let's put the wolf about 300' into the forest. Close enough to get here in a couple of rounds when called, but not close enough to alert the owlbear.
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • #7
    ic - Underdogs

    Assaq, with Mongro a few steps to one side, and his sister a few steps behind him, move across the meadow towards the sounds of battle.

    They have not gone far when the dogs snarling is punctuated by a surprised yelp, itself shredded by a howl of pain. Then silence. Then that unearthly shriek again. Through the trees the three companions spot movement - a dark shape crashing through the trees, knocking snow from the branches as it goes. The owl-bear emerges into sight. It stands some 7 feet tall and weighs in at well over 1000 pounds. A dusting of snow covers its grey-brown coat. It peers around the meadow. Even at this distance the three young grell can make out the glint of madness in its red rimmed eyes.

    Assaq's shot streaks across the clearing and hits the approaching creature with a solid thump. The owl-bear barely seems to notice.

    A moment later Mongro's sister releases her bolt. It too buries itself in the creature, and once again the creature seems little more than annoyed. Well, even more annoyed.

    "I need to get closer," Mongro's sister mutters quietly.

    OOC
    The owl-bear is about 10 feet out of the trees, about 160 feet from the characters.

    For this combat I am going to give a mechanical breakdown of the rounds so people can see how GnG works.

    Assaq Bow (12+7-2) 17 vs Owl-bear Def (8+5) 13 = Hit +4 overkill.
    * Dam (6+2+4) 12 - Soak (5+5+4) 14 = 0 wounds.

    Mongro's Sister Crossbow (15+3-2) 16 vs Owlbear Def (6+5) 11 = Hit +5 overkill.
    * Dam (7+4) 9 - Soak 14 + 0 wounds.
    (-_-)


    [LEW] Jaan Saaresar of Orsilia, servant of the Greenman, is currently in - Limbo -

  • #8
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    "Split up. Mungro, hit it hard. Sis, run if it gets too close. Go." Assaq pauses for a moment, throws back his head and lets loose an ear-splitting howl, then moves to one side, firing as he goes.

    ooc

    Howl to call the wolf. Move 30' to the side and shoot again.

    A couple of minor quibbles with your math, none of which affect the outcome of the round at all. My bow should be at 1d8+3 damage (+2 str, +1 enh) instead of +2, which is hardly your fault, since my character sheet has it wrong. I've fixed that. Also, I don't understand M's sister's xbow damage calculation at all. I'd have put it at 7+5 = 12, assuming 7 is the roll. Again, neither of these change the results.

    Some musings on mechanics. With its 14 soak, on an average damage roll from me (4+3=7), I have to beat his defense by 8 to do one point of wounding. His average defense is 15, so I have to hit 23, which is a roll of 16 on a single attack, 18 on a rapid shot attack. Daunting. M's sister is worse off; against an average defense roll she has to roll at least 7 on her damage to wound even on a natural 20 attack roll. On an average damage roll, she can't wound at all. So, I guess soak really is king. We'll have to get lucky on the rolls a few times to have much of an impact at all on this fight. Mungro might do better if he's got a two-hander, though him being in melee will essentially prevent either of the ranged attackers from helping at all. I don't have precise shot (yet) and -4 on attack rolls basically puts it beyond reach for us. So I might be better off pulling out the longsword and flanking.

    Got to run off now, possibly more thinking later.
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • #9
    ic - Underdogs

    Round 3

    The owl-bear starts forward again, an ungainly shambling run, scattering snow before it as barrels across the meadow towards the characters.

    Mongro grunts an acknowledgement of sorts, and proceeds to move forwards. The creature is still to far away to charge. Besides, charging in may give him a momentary advantage in attack, but would expose him dangerously.

    "Mongro will keep it busy. Don't shoot Mongro. Watch for openings."

    Mongro yells insults at the creature and flashes his sword in the air as he moves, hoping to draw its attentions.

    Mongro's sister pauses momentarily to reload, then proceeds to circle around, keeping herself further from the creature than Mongro is. She waits, and waits, and waits until the creature is almost on top of her brother. Then she releases.

    Likewise, Assaq follows suit, circling around in the opposite direction. Once more he draws and releases, again striking the owl-bear. This time it shrieks and tears at the wound. But it doesn't stop.

    As the owl-bear approaches Mongro it slows slightly, switching stride in preparation to charge.

    ooc
    Owl-bear: runs (x4) towards the characters. It closes the gap by 110 feet.
    Mongro: moves 40 feet (double move) towards the owl-bear.
    Mongro's sister: Reload (move action), moves 30 feet.

    Assaq Longbow (12+7) 19 vs Owl-bear Def (8+4) 12 = Hit, +7 overkill.
    * Damage (7+6+3) - Soak (14) = 2 wounds.

    The owlbear is now 10 feet from Mongro. If Mongro is the center of a clock, his sister is less than 30 feet away at 8 about o'clock, assaq less than 30 feet away at about 4 o'clock. The owlbear is at 12 o'clock.
    (-_-)


    [LEW] Jaan Saaresar of Orsilia, servant of the Greenman, is currently in - Limbo -

  • #10
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    covaithe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    4,971

    Ignore covaithe
    Assaq circles the owlbear, firing another arrow at its side.

    ooc

    move counter-clockwise-ish and shoot. The goal is to put myself in position, next round, to drop my bow, draw sword and shield, and flank it with Mungro.
    My games

    Check out Living 4th Edition, a community-run 4e D&D living world open to all. Now open for character and adventure submissions!

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. [OOC] Underdogs [a core dnd game][4/4]
      By doghead in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 136
      Last Post: Sunday, 13th January, 2008, 12:31 PM
    2. [RG] Doghead's Underdogs [a simple DnD game]
      By doghead in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: Monday, 19th November, 2007, 10:38 PM
    3. If you had to cut two core races from your game....
      By Emirikol in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 96
      Last Post: Monday, 5th March, 2007, 05:56 AM
    4. New Game. New Players. Core only?
      By Wormwood in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: Saturday, 4th October, 2003, 01:27 PM
    5. [Recruitment] ECL 9 (Demunched)FR Underdogs Campaign
      By DM_Matt in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 240
      Last Post: Saturday, 21st September, 2002, 05:50 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •