Tower-Blade Adept

EternalSword

First Post
Some psychic warriors stumble upon a method of enhancing their melee skills by merging their psicrystals with a weapon. The crystal channels the forces of the Tower of Earth into the weapon. This is believed by most Adepts to simply focus the adepts power by creating an artifical focus for the tower of Earth, though the adherents of the Tower of the Mind theory believe it taints the Tower with excessive Earth and so distrust the method. That is given some credence by the inferior manifesting skills of the Adepts.

The discipline was developed by the guardians of a psionic enclave, in the Stonespike Mountains approximately 400 years ago. The enclave still exists, but the masters no longer train anyone in the art. How it is that there are still guardians is unknown. The secrets of the art have long since entered the world, and can be found in any center of learning.

Tower-Blade Adept
Pre-Requisites
BAB: +4
Knowledge: Psionics: 9 ranks
Psicraft: 4 ranks
Craft: Weaponsmithing 6 ranks
Feats: Weapon Focus (any melee), Psionic Weapon, Psicrystal Affinity, Craft Psionic Arms and Armor
Psionics: Ability to manifest 2nd-level powers
Code:
Tower-Blade Adept (d10 HD)
[b] lvl  BAB Fort Ref Will Special
 1st:[/b]  +0  +2   +0  +0  Forge Tower-Blade, Tower-Blade Mastery +1, bonus feat
 [b]2nd:[/b]  +1  +3   +0  +0  +1 manifester level
 [B]3rd:[/B]  +2  +3   +1  +1  bonus feat
 [b]4th:[/b]  +3  +4   +1  +1  +1 manifester level
 [b]5th:[/b]  +3  +4   +1  +1  bonus feat, Tower-Blade Mastery +2
 [b]6th:[/b]  +4  +5   +2  +2  +1 manifester level
 [b]7th:[/b]  +5  +5   +2  +2  bonus feat
 [b]8th:[/b]  +6  +6   +2  +2  +1 manifester level
 [b]9th:[/b]  +6  +6   +3  +3  bonus feat, Tower-blade Mastery +3
[b]10th:[/b] +7  +7   +3  +3  +1 manifester level

Forge Tower-blade: The Tower-Blade adept conducts a one-day ritual to create a tower-blade out of an existing non-magical, masterwork weapon of the type they took Weapon Focus with to enter the class. At the end of the ritual, the Adepts psycrystal merges with the weapon, encasing the non-striking portion in fluid crystal that makes the weapon a perfect fit for the adept. The Tower-Blade may be enhanced by the adept only, at half normal XP, gold, and Craft Point costs as if he had any psion or psychic warrior power of a level he can normally manifest. For the purposes of meeting caster level requirements of special abilities and enhancement bonuses of the Tower-Blade, this class grants full manifesting progression. This cannot take the adepts effective manifester level above his character level. For users other than the adept, the Tower-Blade acts a ordinary masterwork weapon.

Tower-Blade Mastery: A Tower-Blade Adept is extremely skilled with their Tower-blade. They gain the listed bonus to attack rolls with the Tower-Blade. This bonus is treated as base attack bonus when determining iterative attacks.

Bonus Feats: At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th level level a Tower-Blade Adept gets a bonus feat drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats or psionic feats. He cannot choose feats that specifically require levels in the fighter class unless he has the requisite levels in the fighter class. Melee weapon specific feats must be applied to the Tower-Blade.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Interesting idea, though I do want to know what flavor you have for the "Tower Adept" concept.

#1: Why would anyone ever take a fighter when they could take this, which is superior in every way (Fighter feats, AND half-manifestor, with cool extras).

#2: Weapon Specialization is Fighter ONLY. Even the Soulknife, who gets Greater Focus, doesn't get it. Any other class that can qualify for it needs to have that removed.

#3: HD and/or BAB should be reduced. Psy-War is a full manifesting 3/4 with 1d8, and bonus feats every 3rd-4th level. This is better other than for the manifesting, and even then it's pretty good.

#4: Why isn't Craft: Weaponsmith a required skill?

Here's a thought. Instead of full BAB, make them 3/4, and instead at levels 1, 5, and 9, they get a +1 to hit with their Tower Blade, and the tower blade is treated as if their BAB is higher by that bonus for figuring itterative attacks? That focuses them a bit and solves your BAB problem. Do that, address #4 and #2, and you're in good shape.

Here's another problem though. Psychic Warriors are unlikely to have the psionic powers needed to craft any of the special abilities of a psionic weapon, so it will forever only be a +X weapon, unless it is then enchanted by somoene else and someone else puts the enchantments on it.

So, what happens if someone does that?

Bront

The man with the probe
Much better.

One final though. You might want to drop the KN: Psionics to 8 to allow 6th level entry if you multi-class fighter/psi-war, which this kind of is.

Otherwise, looks good from a mechanical stand point. I'll let you flesh out some fluff for it :)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Yeah, I'm waiting for the fluff before I comment. I'm very curious to see how this relates to the Towers...

I didn't even see the bit at the beginning. =P Mmm... I don't know, I'll have to think about this.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Solange said:
I thought the Towers were magic and psionics was separate?
Nobody knows except the deities. =P Someone wrote this on the origin of psionics. The part before the feats (The history part) is already canon, I think. So take a look at that.

SlagMortar

First Post
Bront said:
One final though. You might want to drop the KN: Psionics to 8 to allow 6th level entry if you multi-class fighter/psi-war, which this kind of is.
Craft Psionic Arms and Armor requires manifester level 5 to take. Thus you need at least 5 levels of psychic warrior or psion to get into the class. I actually like that because it means you must lose at least 2 BAB to take the Tower-blade adept, which I think is more fair than making it in while losing only one.

Solange said:
I thought the Towers were magic and psionics was separate?
Even if they are separate, I think it is fair to say that someone figured out how to tap into both. As Eternal Sword's flavor indicates, perhaps that's why Tower-blade adepts lag behind in manifesting.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Nobody knows except the deities. =P Someone wrote this on the origin of psionics. The part before the feats (The history part) is already canon, I think. So take a look at that.
I believe it has been established that they are indeed magical in nature, as well as being tied to the elements. Look at lore, and current PrCs.

I missed the part about Craft Psi Arms and Armor being ML5 or higher, so that's understandable. As written, you can't get in till 7th anyway then, since you can't take craft feats for your bonus feat for a psi-war. That's not a big problem though. However, the option of going fighter/Psi-war wasn't a bad though since you lose another manifestor level, which is a big deal.

Remove ads