Ranger/Scout build

AnonymousOne

First Post
Okay, so with our new campaign starting up next semester, I thought that maybe I would ask one of my friends at college to play, he seemed up for the idea but seemed really overwhelmed on where to start. He wants to play a rangeresque character as he's a hunter and outdoorsy kinda guy and also a military and weapons buff. I figured that a solid Ranger/Scout build would be ideal for his ... demeanor and he said he'd be happy to look at what I put together and then try and tweak his character.

Now, Where do I start?
We're looking at a 6th level character (with future progression)

on a side note .. Where is the feat that lets you stack Ranger and Scout Levels, I've torn through books trying to find it and I've either overlooked it or am looking in the wrong place.

Help?

Quez The Lame

First Post
AnonymousOne said:
on a side note .. Where is the feat that lets you stack Ranger and Scout Levels, I've torn through books trying to find it and I've either overlooked it or am looking in the wrong place.
Complete Scoundrel.

Improved Skirmish from the same book may be a good choice too.

Felix

Explorer
I'd say Human Scout 4 / Ranger 2.

That nets you:
3 level feats
1 human feat
1 scout bonus feat
Track
Fast Movement +10
Trackless Step
Rapid Shot/TWF
Favored Enemy +2
Skirmish (+1d6, +1 AC)
+5 BAB
Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +1
Whole lotta skill points
Martial Weapon proficiencies

For your feats with a melee focus, I'd say:
Human: Dodge
1st level: Mobility
3rd level: Weapon Focus (Something)
6th level: Spring Attack
Scout Bonus feat: Improved Initiative

If you want to use your off-hand for TWF, wear a shield and bash with it, and substitute Improved Shield Bash for Weapon Focus. You could also substitute Iron Will in there, since your base Will save is pretty dismal.

---

If you want to go ranged, I suggest:

Human: Point Blank Shot
1st level: Precise Shot
3rd level: Dodge
6th level: Shot on the Run
Scout bonus: Mobility

Use a longbow and take advantage of Shot on the Run. Save your hit points by not allowing yourself to be targeted. Also: Iron Will, but here the substitution is much costlier; you'd have to delay SotR until 9th level. You can also take Spring Attack later on in the event you find yourself in melee.

---

Re: Ranger & Scout combo feat

I believe it's in either Complete Adventurer, the PHB II, or Complete Scoundrel, but my first guess is in Complete Adventurer.

AnonymousOne

First Post
It's in complete scoundrel and for some reason I just overlooked it.... duh.

FYI this will be a ranged character and will probably be looking at a composite Long Bow as a primary weapon.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I just made one of these guys up the other week - they rock hardcore! Here's how you do it:

Human Ranger 1: Rapid Reload, Weapon Focus(light crossbow)
Ranger 1/Scout 2: Crossbow Sniper (PHB2 77)
Ranger 1/Scout 4: Swift Hunter (CSc 81)
Ranger 2/Scout 4: Improved Skirmish (CSc 78)

You'll end up with 4d6 skirmish damage at targets within 60 feet(!), 1/2 Dex to damage, and two favored enemies that you can skirmish regardless of type and immunities to critical hits(!). Constructs and undead make excellent choices for favored enemies.

Magic items you'll want for sure:
Foefinding Goggles allow you to ignore cover bonuses to AC. (MIC 108, 2500 gp)
+1 Bolts of Seeking (just 5 or 6 in case of emergency) allow you to ignore any % miss chances. (DMG 225, +2 total bonus)
Skirmisher Boots give +2 damage to skirmish attacks, and 2/day extra attack if you move >= 10 ft. (MIC 136, 3200 gp)

Enjoy!
-blarg

Last edited:

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Cool! Glad to be of service. :)
-blarg

ps - For added mileage, use the non-spellcasting ranger variant in Complete Champion (p50) to get access to bonus feats like Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot.

AnonymousOne

First Post
blargney the second said:
Cool! Glad to be of service. :)
-blarg

ps - For added mileage, use the non-spellcasting ranger variant in Complete Champion (p50) to get access to bonus feats like Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot.

Complete Champion? ARG of all the books I don't have access to.

Here's a question:

The Full BAB progression from the Ranger is REALLY sweet, but the Scout has some REALLY nice bonuses too (things like flawless stride, Camo, and a stack of bonus feats)

Is it better (from a shear power build aspect) to go solid Ranger after this, or should you sprinkle in more levels of scout for some goodies.... also, did wizards happen to put up a free version of the non-spellcasting Ranger? I'm quite interested in how it looks.

EDIT: WOuld you also recommend the Distracting attack alternative from PHBII? Ditch the Animal Companion in favor of the flanking bonus? (Given the fact that we have Swash/Rogue and a Goliath Warblade I think this might be just what the Doc ordered.)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases