Thieves World RPG

Banshee16

First Post
So...what's the Thieves World setting by Green Ronin like? Any good? Is there much that can be cannibalized for other settings?

Banshee

rgard

Adventurer
Banshee16 said:
So...what's the Thieves World setting by Green Ronin like? Any good? Is there much that can be cannibalized for other settings?

Banshee

My copy is buried in a box some place. I remember really liking it. The magic system is similar to what they did with the Sovereign Stone game, where you keep making caster checks and eventually your spell goes off.

If you haven't, read the books associated with it, though some have adult themes.

Thanks,
Rich

Certainly one of the best d20 adaptation extant, and very nearly completely compatible. The game uses a background system since it id human only That you might want to drop if you have other races, but that's it.

I can't recommend it enough if you're looking for something a bit more dangerous and gritty than standard DnD.

GlassJaw

Hero
I'm a big fan of Green Ronin.
I'm a big fan of the Thieves' World stories.
I didn't like the RPG.

The biggest mistake was tying it to core D&D and not making a new ruleset. It didn't feel anything like TW to me. If I want the TW style, Grim Tales is a much better fit IMO.

Crothian

First Post
Thieves World is a set of short stories that started in the 80's. The setting is very grim and gritty with much death and evil. It all mostly takes place in the city of Sanctuary. A place so bad one person is actually known as the only honest ma in the place.

The RPG books are fantastic. I've done reviews on most of them so you can read those for a bit more indepth look at them. The feel, like with anything, comes more from the DM and the players then the books.

Tharen the Damned

First Post
The Books are lovingly done. The designers are all TW fans themselves and Lynn Abbey had her say in every part of the story design.
And GR are known for their great Book adaption of the Black Company by Glen Cook.
Now even GRR Martin trusts them to adapt a RPG to his Song of Ice and Fire Series.

Banshee16

First Post
Crothian said:
Thieves World is a set of short stories that started in the 80's. The setting is very grim and gritty with much death and evil. It all mostly takes place in the city of Sanctuary. A place so bad one person is actually known as the only honest ma in the place.

The RPG books are fantastic. I've done reviews on most of them so you can read those for a bit more indepth look at them. The feel, like with anything, comes more from the DM and the players then the books.

Hi Crothian, I was looking for your reviews, but I think the only one I could find was on EN World, and it's for the Player Manual....couldn't even find product listings for the others on this site, let alone reviews..

Banshee

Banshee16

First Post
Tharen the Damned said:
The Books are lovingly done. The designers are all TW fans themselves and Lynn Abbey had her say in every part of the story design.
And GR are known for their great Book adaption of the Black Company by Glen Cook.
Now even GRR Martin trusts them to adapt a RPG to his Song of Ice and Fire Series.

I like dark and gritty. I loved the Black Company RPG book, and it spurred me to start reading the novels. Haven't read any Thieves World....though I've known of it for years....it's just never a series I tried.

Is the RPG just a retread of the rules they came up with for Black Company, or is there new stuff there? I like the idea of rules for infections etc. Black Company had rules for real world diseases, which was kind of cool.

Banshee

Remove ads