New feats (considered for E6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Explorer
Submitted for your consideration:

Extra Sorcery
Prerequisites: Character level 6, spontaneous caster
Benefit: You gain a spell slot and a new spell known for any levels you can already cast. For both new spells and spells known, you must choose this slot such that you have more 0th level spells than 1st, more 1st than 2nd, and more 2nd than 3rd.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times.

Extra Wizardry
Prerequisite: Character level 6, prepared caster
Benefit: You gain one spell slot of any level you can already cast. You must choose this slot such that you have more 0th level spells than 1st, more 1st than 2nd, and more 2nd than 3rd.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times.

Restoration
Prerequisites: 6th level, ability to cast 3rd-level divine spells, Wisdom 18.
Benefit: You can use Restoration, as the spell (paying the material component), with a casting time of 1 day.

Stone to Flesh
Benefit: You can use stone to flesh, as the spell (paying the material component), with a casting time of 1 day.

szilard

First Post
How about:

Miracle
Prerequisites:6th level, ability to cast 3rd-level divine spells, Wisdom 18.
Benefit: You can duplicate the effect of any cleric spell of 8th level or lower. The casting time for this is 1 day, and you must spend experience points equal to 1,000 x (the level of the spell duplicated - 3).

-Stuart

Aegir

First Post
rycanada said:
Restoration
Benefit: You can use Restoration, as the spell (paying the material component), with a casting time of 1 day.

Stone to Flesh
Benefit: You can use stone to flesh, as the spell (paying the material component), with a casting time of 1 day.

Those seem like some pretty extreme casting times. Unless you play a crafting-heavy game ("I craft me a new suit of armor while Mr. Wizard McCastyPants mutters for the next 24 hours!"), I think I'd make the casting time 1 hour, but require an 8-hour rest for the effects to kick in. Same effect, but not nearly as disruptive.

If not, maybe make a second feat for both, which increases the uses/day to 2, and lowers the casting time to 1 hour + 8 hours rest.

Aegir

First Post
szilard said:
Miracle
Benefit: You can duplicate the effect of any cleric spell of 8th level or lower. The casting time for this is 1 day, and you must spend experience points equal to 1,000 x (the level of the spell duplicated - 3).

Miracle in *any* form (short of special reward from deity/demipower/etc) in an E6 game seems pretty extreme.

joela

First Post
Feat for using Weapons of Legacy?

Is there a feat that could be taken that increases a PC's level to determine what abilities their legacy weapon would have; i.e., if the legacy weapon's +5 to hit/damage can only be activated by a 9th level character, the E6 PC would take take this (obviously stackable) feat three times to use the ability. Otherwise, they're still a 6th level PC in terms of BAB, hit points, spell-casting, etc.

joela

First Post
Miracle and Wish

Aegir said:
Miracle in *any* form (short of special reward from deity/demipower/etc) in an E6 game seems pretty extreme.

I have to agree (and I love high-powered E6!). Miracle, and its arcane counterpart "Wish", are a bit much especially if obtained via a single feat.

Maybe it'll work if there are similar extreme consequences (i.e., "Once the effect has taken place, the caster is immediately taken by their deity (if Miracle)/merged into the magic fields (if Wish).")

Quartz

Hero
rycanada said:
Restoration

This needs to have a shorter casting time as negative levels force a saving throw after 1 day. Make it a casting time of 1 hour.

Actually, would Restoration be unbalancing if it were simply a 3rd level spell?

Dragonblade275

First Post
Ry,

I like the ones that you presented. I, also, like Silard's Miracle Feat.
szilard said:
Miracle
The only thing that I'd change to the Miracle feat, though is this: I'd make the feat cost the XP and the character would also sacrifice the feat. In other words, a character uses the Miracle feat to cast an 8th level spell would lose the feat plus 5,000 XP. So, the character would lose the feat and be 5,000 XP away from earning another feat.

DogBackward

First Post
You could use a sort of Ritual casting effect with heavy material, xp and spell slot costs. I originally designed this for a normal PrC that didnt get full casting, so they could still cast higher-level spells. You could make a feat that allows you to perform 4th level Rituals, then 5th level Rituals, then 6th level Rituals, and so on until you get to teh maximum spell level you want in your game. Obviously, the DM would have final say as to what can be ritualized and what can't.

- Rituals have material component costs of 100g per spell level, plus any material components required to cast the spell.

- Rituals require a focus dedicated to the specific spell chosen equal to 1000g, +500g per spell level.

- Rituals require the expenditure of 10xp per level of the spell.

- To perform a Ritual, you must make a Complex spellcraft check, DC 10 +Spell level +Caster level. Ritual spells are always cast at the minimum caster level. You may attempt two rolls per rank in Spellcraft, and you require one success per level of the spell befor ethe spell is cast. Each spellcraft check takes one minute, or the original casting time of the spell, whichever is higher. Each check you fail imposes a -1 penalty on all future checks, and if you fail three checks in a row, the spell fails, and all materials and xp are expended uselessly, though the focus remains intact.

- Finally, once you successfully complete the Ritual, you must expend a number of spell slots equal to the level of the spell x2.

This makes invoking a higher-level spell a complicated and expensive affair, but doesn't remove it entirely from the characters' capabilities. You still have to be able to cast spells to perform a ritual, since you have to expend spell slots. It's worked alright with the PrC I created it for, but it may need some tweaking for an E6 game.

By the way, I really like the E6 stuff... too bad I could never convince anybody to try it.

Khuxan

First Post
The more I think about this, the more I want the feats that grant extra spells to only grant extra spells once. We want feats to involve a slight increase in power and a substantial increase in versatility, whereas extra spells grants a substantial increase in both. Now, the only reason, in my opinion, that we need extra spell feats at all is for multiclass casters - a sorcerer that multiclasses never gets 3rd-level feats. So I propose the following feats:

CASTER TRAINING (General)
You become a more accomplished spellcaster.
Requirements: Character level 6, caster level 1.
Benefit: Your caster level in one spellcasting class becomes 6.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time, it applies to a different casting class.

EXTRA SPELL SLOT (General)
You gain a new spell slot.
Requirements: Character level 6, caster level 6.
Benefit: The first time you take this feat, you gain a spell slot of one level higher than the usual spells you can cast. This feat cannot grant a spell slot of higher than 3rd level. Each time you take this feat after the first, you gain a 2nd-level spell slot. If you are a ranger or paladin, draw your 2nd-level spells from the druid or cleric spell lists, respectively. If you are a bard, draw your 3rd-level spells from the wizard spell list.

EXTRA SPELL KNOWN (General)
You gain a new spell known.
Requirements: Character level 6, caster level 6.
Benefit: The first time you take this feat, you gain a spell known of one level higher than the usual spells you know. This feat cannot grant a spell known of higher than 3rd level. Each time you take this feat after the first, you gain a 2nd-level spell known. If you are a ranger or paladin, draw your 2nd-level spells from the druid or cleric spell lists, respectively. If you are a bard, draw your 3rd-level spells from the wizard spell list.

I think these are a nice compromise. They give cleric/wizard/druid 5-6 and sorcerer 6 another 3rd-level spell, the cwsd multiclass and the bard 4-6 their first 3rd-level spell, and ranger/paladins their only 2nd-level spell (r/p can get more by taking the feat multiple times, like anyone else)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases