Constables of the 14th Ward


What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 85 123456789101151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1699
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Scotley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    17,022
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Scotley
    My communities:

    Constables of the 14th Ward

    A warm summer afternoon in the city of Lauralie Summerhome...

    Sensing the danger before anyone else, Thea reacts quickly. She begins to make subtle magical gestures and incant softly as she starts to move. By the time she reaches the wall there is a pale glow at her feet she. She moves up the wall as if it were flat ground and is soon perched 10' above the street on a narrow window ledge. The window is barred.

    Jonas, recognizing the flying creatures coming at him as stirges readies his dual truncheons. As the first stirge approaches he swings, but only manages one good solid blow (6 points to stirge 3). Fortunately, this is enough to cause the creature to spiral to the ground.

    Moru Sen also calls upon his magic taking aim at a stirge he blasts it with darts of force (12 points to stirge 4). The magic downs one creature easily.

    Andrew draws steel and slices into the onrushing mass of vermin, rats, dogs, and cats that come pouring out of a nearby sewer grate and floods into the alley. He blade does some damage (3 points to the swarm), but proves largely ineffective against the surge of creatures.

    With a great meowing, barking, clicking and hiss a large number of spiders, centipedes, roaches, rats, stray dogs and feral cats fill the alley. They swarm over Raul and Andrew covering them to the knee with more than 300 creatures in the space. The creatures bite and scratch at the two men (Andrew takes 9 and Raul 10 points of damage). The overwhelming nature of the attack leaves both men nauseated. The distraction is such that both men are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention.

    Darius' bastard sword practically leaps from his scabbard as he swings a powerful blow at an oncoming Stirge. The Stirge is split in half by the great blade and pieces of it tumble past Darius to be consumed by the swarm. (18 points of damage including +4 power attack)

    Rahvin hurls a dart at an oncoming Stirge, but it grazes the wall and clatters uselessly down the alley.

    Five of the biggest ugliest hairiest rats you've ever scene come rushing up out of the manhole where Thaddeous Thornapple so recently vanished. They make an unpleasant high pitched chittering sound that grates on your nerves and makes you feel weak in the knees. While most shrug off the unpleasant sound, Rahvin finds it particularly unnerving (Shaken -2 to all attacks, saves, skill checks and ability checks for 5 rounds).

    Andrew, Alarion, Jonas and Soulfetter
    You recognize these rats as Vorbar Mountains Rats. The mountains around Lauralie Summerhome are known as the Vorbars. These particular rats are as big as dogs, mean, bloodthirsty and cruel. They have a sonic attack that causes fear, spread disease and often use their tails for trip attacks.

    The first rat skids up in front of Darius and suddenly whirls around its tail lashing out to sweep the legs from under the young fighter. Darius goes down in a clattering heap, as he struggles to his feet the rat leaps forward to bite Darius' arm (for 2 points of damage, successful save vs. Filth Fever). The second rat tries the same trick on Alarion and finds that Knights tumble as easily as Fighters. The only difference is that the Knight gets bitten on the leg rather than the arm when he rises. (Alarion takes 2 damage, successful save vs. filth fever). Alarion tries to strike the rat before him, but his blow misses. The third rat opts for a more conventional attack and lands a bite and a claw on Jonas (for a total of 5 points of damage).

    Stirges attack Thea, Raul, Moru, Soulfetter, and Rahvin, but only the Rogue is hit. The stirge's pincers latch onto Rahvin's body as it prepares to drink his blood.

    Raul manages with some difficulty to climb clear of the swarm about his feet and hang onto the wall some 5' off the ground.

    The big Urgant finally brings his big truncheon into play, but his aim is so far off it is unclear if he was trying to hit a stirge or the swarm.

    The swarm is spreading toward the street and will soon flow out of the alley among the people bustling on the street. A pack of dogs pulling a cart can be heard barking nervously as they pass the alley. A little girl of perhaps 6 winters in a summer dress and hat stares down the alley in horror as her mother holds her hand at the side of the road while they wait for the cart to pass. As yet her mother is unaware of the dangerous swarm moving toward them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Scotley; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 04:32 AM.

 

  • #2
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Scotley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    17,022
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Scotley
    My communities:

    This ends the round. The special squad is in a nameless alley in the 14th Ward of Lauralie Summerhome. They were ambushed. The alley is roughly 65' long and 15' wide. The surrounding buildings vary from 10 to 20 feet tall. The rear doors of businesses open onto the alley, one at the top of a short staircase. Some grimy barred windows overlook the alley. A broad sewer grate and a manhole cover near the back of the alley are the only other features of note. A vague smell of sour rotting grain permeates the alley.

    Initiative order:
    Thea 22
    Jonas 20
    Moru 18
    Andrew 16
    Swarm 15
    Darius and Rahvin 14
    Rats 13
    Stirges 11
    Raul 10
    Alarion 7
    Soulfetter 5

    Actions for round 2 please?

    Thea and Moru
    I made the asumption that you would have cast mage armor at some point during the day and that it is still active.
    Last edited by Scotley; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 04:33 AM.

  • #3
    Na Bith Mo Riocht T! COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Mowgli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR
    Posts
    12,322
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Mowgli
    My communities:

    SoulFetter

    Heedless of his own safety, SoulFetter barges through to the end of the alley, placing himself between mother/child and the nearest stirges. He will attack stirge 10.

    To Hit: 29 (Damage: 14) http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137395 & http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137406
    Crit Check: 11 (Crit Damage if Applicable: 16) http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137399 & http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137412

    OOC:

    I'll be out of town from early tomorrow until sometime Sunday. Feel free to take care of SoulFetter for me, Scott/Leif!

    IC Rolls will look really confusing on this one - having trouble gettin' my head on straight!
    Last edited by Mowgli; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 05:38 AM.

  • #4
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    105
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Maeglin
    Ralishazs luck! Rahvin curses, drawing his truncheon of Barcarus. The hideous stirge crawls up his left arm, seeking a soft spot beneath his russet leather gambeson. Trying to ward off his panic, Rahvin swats at the bat-like thing with shaking hands.

    OOC:
    Spoiler:
    Move action to draw the truncheon. Attacks the stirge at -2 penalty for a total to hit of 1d20 +5 -2 = 12 (Drat!). But I think it hits!
    Damage roll, just in case 1d4 + 2 = 5

    Great start, guys ! In media res Rahvin like!!

    BTW which stirge is attacking Rahvin? #6? #9?
    Last edited by Maeglin; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 05:39 AM. Reason: grammar
    Currently playing and DM'ing
    Tabletop:

    Kelsar Sularios, weaponmaster 8 in Tales of Kalidon Iron Heroes campaign.

    PBEM:

    Alexander Cross in TCurbo's In Awe and Understanding of Our Elders Amber DRPG campaign

    PBP:

    DM'ing The Return of the Sith Star Wars Saga , as DM Will of the Force

    Rahvin Stormcrow, rogue 5 in Scotley and Leif's Constables of the 14th Ward DnD 3.5 PbP


  • #5
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Scotley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    17,022
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Scotley
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli
    Heedless of his own safety, SoulFetter barges through to the end of the alley, placing himself between mother/child and the nearest stirges. He will attack stirge 10.

    OOC: I'll be out of town from early tomorrow until sometime Sunday. Feel free to take care of SoulFetter for me, Scott/Leif!
    OOC: You can roll the attack yourself.

  • #6
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Helfdan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Juan, PR
    Posts
    1,778
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Gygax Memorial FundGreyhawk

    Ignore Helfdan
    My communities:

    Alarion hears the screaming behind him, but can barely see anything given the horde of animals behind him, and the huge rats in front. He growls in supressed rage as he lifts his sword in both hands and fiercely slashes at the beast in front of him.

    Spoiler:
    Attacks two handed with power attack of 3: 1d20+7 = 25http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137358

    Damage 1d8+11=19 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137361

    In case it falls, Cleave the nearest one: 1d20+7=9 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137374

    I suppose I missed , but just in case damage = 12

    Just in case, the three rats in front of Alarion and the swarm behind him are all in difficult terrain, given his Bulwark of defense ability
    Last edited by Helfdan; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 05:19 AM.

  • #7
    Na Bith Mo Riocht T! COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Mowgli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR
    Posts
    12,322
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Mowgli
    My communities:

    Done

    OOC: Previous post amended with attack/damage rolls.

  • #8
    Member SILVER DEFENDER
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Lou's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    cypress tx usa
    Posts
    2,201
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!I Defended The Walls!The Perturbed Dragon

    Ignore Lou

    Raul - round 2

    Hanging onto the wall, Raul takes a deep breath, glancing over his left should at the rats and over his right shoulder at the civilians at the end of the alleyway...and jumps off the wall into the swarm between Andrew and Rahvin, making two sweeping martial art attacks into the swarm.

    Spoiler:

    First unarmed ki strike: 1d20+5-> [15,5] = (20)
    Second unarmed ki strike 1d20+5-> [5,5] = (10) http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137555

    Damage to the swarm from the first attack, if it hits, is 1d8-> [2] = (2) http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137562

    If the second attack hits, damage is 1d8-> [7] = (7), http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137564


    Raul positions himself sort-of between where Andrew and Rahvin were, as much as possible, to engage/delay the swarm so as to allow his comrades to fight the rats and stirges.


    OOC: What a way to start the day!
    Last edited by Lou; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 07:44 AM.

  • #9
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Scotley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    17,022
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Scotley
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeglin
    [COLOR=Red]

    Great start, guys ! In media res Rahvin like!!

    BTW which stirge is attacking Rahvin? #6? #9?
    OOC: Thanks! #9 is attacking Rahvin.

  • #10
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    xedr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    304
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore xedr
    best rules guess
    I'm new to these rules so forgive me if I screw it up. It appears that with my base attack bonus, I can actually do two attacks in a round with (I guess) -4 and -8 to hit. Also, I plan to do each roll 4 die at a time hit/dam/critcheck/critdam and just ignore the last two in the absence of a critical hit.
    Irritated at having been dumped on his ass, Darius growls "You want to dance, Mickey? Let's dance." Going into full-attack mode, Darius wields his broadsword with lightning speed, swinging at Rat#1(Mickey), with a plan to go after Rat#2(Minnie) as soon as Mickey is taken care of. On his attack swing, Darius rolls hit/dam/crt/cdam - swing #1 (1d20+6=15, 1d10+5=8, 1d20+6=9, 1d10+5=13), and on his second attack Darius rolls hit/dam/crt/cdam - swing #2 (1d20+2=4, 1d10+5=6, 1d20+2=19, 1d10+5=7) (using same die roll, but with +2PwrA two-handed) 1d20+10-2-1=16, 1d10+5+4+1.5=13.5 (round down?)
    Last edited by xedr; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 07:25 PM.

  • #11
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    J. Alexander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,532
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore J. Alexander
    My communities:

    Andrew Dresden _ Rats

    http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137989


    Identifing the rats, Andrew calls out to his companions...."They are weakest in the chest area, strike there"..... Then he goes on full defensive.

    OCC: Everyone gets a +2 to hit the large rat


    For our benovelent DM's
    I think i figured the dark knowledge accurately..but you may wish ot recheck it.

  • #12
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Scotley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    17,022
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Scotley
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by xedr
    best rules guess
    I'm new to these rules so forgive me if I screw it up. It appears that with my base attack bonus, I can actually do two attacks in a round with (I guess) -4 and -8 to hit. Also, I plan to do each roll 4 die at a time hit/dam/critcheck/critdam and just ignore the last two in the absence of a critical hit.
    For xedr
    No problem. You seem to be confusing two weapon fighting with iterative attacks. You may be getting your total bonus confused with Base Attack bonus as well. We'll start with that. Normally, you get one swing in combat. If your Base Attack Bonus (before modifiers for magic, strenght etc. Is 6 or higher then you get an iterative attack in addition to you normal one attack. The normal attack is rolled base attack bonus + modifiers. Then you take the 2nd Iterative attack at a -5. So that's base attack bonus -5+ the usual modifiers. At 5th level a fighter gets a base attack bonus of +5, which is not good enough for an interative attack. At 11th level you get a second iterative attack for a total of three swings, one at normal base attack bonus of +11, One at -5 (so +6 net) and one at -10 (so at +1 net) then you add in all the other modifiers for strength, magic, feats, etc. Now, the rules you seemed to be trying to use are for fighting with a weapon in each hand. You get your normal attacks with the primary weapon at a penalty (If you base attack bonus were +6 or higher you'd still get iterative attacks with the primary weapon.) You also get an extra single attack with the weapon in your off hand. (Even if your base attack bonus were higher than +6 you still only get one swing with the off hand). Unless you take the proper feats (two-weapon fighting) and use a light weapon in the off hand (such as a dagger) then the penalties are really too high to make this style of fighting a good choice. You can also use a shield as a weapon to bash with instead of using it for defense, but again you face significant penalties. The upshot of all this is that Darius only gets the one swing per round. Most people don't bother to roll their crit check until after they actually score a 19 or 20 on the die. Remember that crits are based on the unmodified die roll, the type of creature you are fighting (many creatures are not subject to critial hits) and the weapon type. You don't get a crit for a modified 20. Only if the actual roll is a 20 (or 19 with the bastard sword). Hope that helps. Feel free to send me an email if you have additional questions about this.

  • #13
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Scotley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    17,022
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Scotley
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by J. Alexander
    http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137989


    Identifying the rats, Andrew calls out to his companions...."They are weakest in the chest area, strike there"..... Then he goes on full defensive.

    OCC: Everyone gets a +2 to hit the large rat


    For our benevolent DM's
    I think i figured the dark knowledge accurately..but you may wish to recheck it.
    OOC: Us benevolent? I think you've wandered into the wrong game. Note that Andrew is currently nauseated by the presence of so many bugs and creatures crawling on and around him. As posted above he is unable to "attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention." I'm afraid that includes calling on his dark knowledge. A move action to get out of the swarm is the only reasonable action at this point.

  • #14
    Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

    Leif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR, USA
    Posts
    22,214
    Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    6
    OSRICI Defended The Walls!Gygax Memorial Fund

    Ignore Leif
    My communities:

    Flashback To This Morning's First Briefing With Ignatious Ironshirt

    You Remember what Iggy said to you this morning ......

    All right, me lads, here's what's on the agenda for today: Make your usual mornin' patrol around the Ward first thing, and then get to work on that matter I told ye yesterday about finding that missing halfling mapmaker, Krado Lyman. You remember, it's that thing we talked about where I want ye to help out the 2nd Ward constables with their investigation. The Magistrate of the Second, Charley Festus, is a good friend to the 14th, and his constables are spread pretty thin, what with that little strike by the Shiv in the 2nd, and everything. Anyway, Charley has asked me to send you boys over there to help them out with this, since he's got his Alphas pulling picket line duty along with every other constable he can lay his hands on. So I want you boys to get right on over to the 2nd Ward today and give them a hand!

    ****
    Next round of attacks against the rats, etc. Thea, I believe it's your swing?
    Last edited by Leif; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 07:31 PM.
    Vincit Omnia Veritas

  • #15
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,971
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore jkason
    My communities:

    Moru Sen, human conjurer

    Realizing he probably shouldn't have pumped all his missles into a single stirge, Moru gulps, reaching into his spell component pouch and pulling out a pork rind.

    "Try to latch onto this," he taunts, crushing the rind against his uniform. He switches into the gibbering you've come to associate with his spellcasting, and the point of contact from the rind seems to grow wet-looking, the glistening effect spreading all across the uniform even as the rind seems to shrivel to nothing.

    Putting his back against the wall and drawing his truncheon, Moru cringes as he looks to the swarm. "If my friends weren't in the middle of you, I'd show you critters from nauseated." Instead, he lashes out with his police-issue weapon when the creatures begin to overtake him.

    OOC
    Ugh. That'll teach me to have Moru memorize so many area affect spells. Anyway, Moru's casting Grease on his clothing. +10 bonus in his checks to resist or escape a grapple / pin.

    He'll draw his truncheon as his move action. Since I'm hoping Grease makes the stirges much less of a threat, he'll save his AoO for if / when the swarm moves into his square:

    Attack of Opportunity: 21, damage 5

  • #16
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Scotley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    17,022
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Scotley
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by xedr
    (round down?)
    OOC: Yes round down.

  • #17
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Windsor, CT
    Posts
    3,146
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore pathfinderq1
    My communities:

    'And the day started off so well," Thea thought wearily, as she perched partway up the wall and tried to make some sense of the situation. Even without Ironshirt's briefing, she would have been glad to be of assistance to the 2nd ward constables- she still had friends there (and just maybe, she wanted to preen a bit because of the elite team she was on now). But details like that would have to wait- the ambush had started badly, and it looked to get worse. She cast one single aching glance towards the innocents at the mouth of the alley- but before she could help them out, she would have to take care of a more immediate threat.

    Almost reflexively, she reached out with one black-gloved hand and gestured, exhaling a few syllables of Slyvanoptera to direct a burst of focused mental static at the nearest stirge.

    OOC:
    Spoiler:
    Casting Whelm at Stirge#2. Casting defensively, Concentration roll 29 (1d20+9, TN 16, roll http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1138615), Whelm causes 3d6 nonlethal damage, Will negates, DC 15
    Last edited by pathfinderq1; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 10:25 PM.

  • #18
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Scotley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    17,022
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Scotley
    My communities:

    OOC: I need DC: 18 Fortitude saves from Moru Sen, Soulfetter and Rahvin. Soulfetter and Rahvin also have attacks of opportunity coming against the swarm. (Moru having already rolled his.)
    Last edited by Scotley; Saturday, 7th July, 2007 at 06:18 AM.

  • #19
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Fenris's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    5,381
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Fenris
    My communities:

    Jonas swings his truncheon at the large rat next to him, but has poor aim.


  • #20
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    105
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Maeglin
    OOC:
    Spoiler:
    Rahvins fort save at -2 penalty = 11 , so I guess he is nauseated.

    However, the attack of opportunity should go off before the save is needed, therefore attack = 14 .

    Damage is (1d4 +2=4)

    BTW in case my original attack against the stirge goes off (I dont know, but Rahvin may be nauseated and unable to attack) , sneak attack bonus damage should apply as the stirge is flatfooted. Sneak attack damage against stirge, if not nauseated (3d6=9) , plus the original 4 hp damage, for a total of 13 if it happens.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 85 123456789101151 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 1263
      Last Post: Saturday, 8th November, 2014, 06:57 PM
    2. Replies: 938
      Last Post: Thursday, 11th September, 2014, 08:51 PM
    3. Constables of the 14th Ward Part 3
      By Leif in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 1022
      Last Post: Thursday, 26th August, 2010, 06:06 AM
    4. Constables of the 14th Ward Part 2
      By Scotley in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 995
      Last Post: Sunday, 15th February, 2009, 09:43 AM
    5. [OOC] Constables of the 14th Ward
      By Scotley in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 1004
      Last Post: Thursday, 5th February, 2009, 05:08 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •