Constables of the 14th Ward




+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 170 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1699
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Scotley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    16,505
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Scotley

    Constables of the 14th Ward

    A warm summer afternoon in the city of Lauralie Summerhome...

    Sensing the danger before anyone else, Thea reacts quickly. She begins to make subtle magical gestures and incant softly as she starts to move. By the time she reaches the wall there is a pale glow at her feet she. She moves up the wall as if it were flat ground and is soon perched 10' above the street on a narrow window ledge. The window is barred.

    Jonas, recognizing the flying creatures coming at him as stirges readies his dual truncheons. As the first stirge approaches he swings, but only manages one good solid blow (6 points to stirge 3). Fortunately, this is enough to cause the creature to spiral to the ground.

    Moru Sen also calls upon his magic taking aim at a stirge he blasts it with darts of force (12 points to stirge 4). The magic downs one creature easily.

    Andrew draws steel and slices into the onrushing mass of vermin, rats, dogs, and cats that come pouring out of a nearby sewer grate and floods into the alley. He blade does some damage (3 points to the swarm), but proves largely ineffective against the surge of creatures.

    With a great meowing, barking, clicking and hiss a large number of spiders, centipedes, roaches, rats, stray dogs and feral cats fill the alley. They swarm over Raul and Andrew covering them to the knee with more than 300 creatures in the space. The creatures bite and scratch at the two men (Andrew takes 9 and Raul 10 points of damage). The overwhelming nature of the attack leaves both men nauseated. The distraction is such that both men are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention.

    Darius' bastard sword practically leaps from his scabbard as he swings a powerful blow at an oncoming Stirge. The Stirge is split in half by the great blade and pieces of it tumble past Darius to be consumed by the swarm. (18 points of damage including +4 power attack)

    Rahvin hurls a dart at an oncoming Stirge, but it grazes the wall and clatters uselessly down the alley.

    Five of the biggest ugliest hairiest rats you've ever scene come rushing up out of the manhole where Thaddeous Thornapple so recently vanished. They make an unpleasant high pitched chittering sound that grates on your nerves and makes you feel weak in the knees. While most shrug off the unpleasant sound, Rahvin finds it particularly unnerving (Shaken -2 to all attacks, saves, skill checks and ability checks for 5 rounds).

    Andrew, Alarion, Jonas and Soulfetter
    You recognize these rats as Vorbar Mountains Rats. The mountains around Lauralie Summerhome are known as the Vorbars. These particular rats are as big as dogs, mean, bloodthirsty and cruel. They have a sonic attack that causes fear, spread disease and often use their tails for trip attacks.

    The first rat skids up in front of Darius and suddenly whirls around its tail lashing out to sweep the legs from under the young fighter. Darius goes down in a clattering heap, as he struggles to his feet the rat leaps forward to bite Darius' arm (for 2 points of damage, successful save vs. Filth Fever). The second rat tries the same trick on Alarion and finds that Knights tumble as easily as Fighters. The only difference is that the Knight gets bitten on the leg rather than the arm when he rises. (Alarion takes 2 damage, successful save vs. filth fever). Alarion tries to strike the rat before him, but his blow misses. The third rat opts for a more conventional attack and lands a bite and a claw on Jonas (for a total of 5 points of damage).

    Stirges attack Thea, Raul, Moru, Soulfetter, and Rahvin, but only the Rogue is hit. The stirge's pincers latch onto Rahvin's body as it prepares to drink his blood.

    Raul manages with some difficulty to climb clear of the swarm about his feet and hang onto the wall some 5' off the ground.

    The big Urgant finally brings his big truncheon into play, but his aim is so far off it is unclear if he was trying to hit a stirge or the swarm.

    The swarm is spreading toward the street and will soon flow out of the alley among the people bustling on the street. A pack of dogs pulling a cart can be heard barking nervously as they pass the alley. A little girl of perhaps 6 winters in a summer dress and hat stares down the alley in horror as her mother holds her hand at the side of the road while they wait for the cart to pass. As yet her mother is unaware of the dangerous swarm moving toward them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Scotley; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 03:32 AM.

 

  • #2
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Scotley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    16,505
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Scotley
    This ends the round. The special squad is in a nameless alley in the 14th Ward of Lauralie Summerhome. They were ambushed. The alley is roughly 65' long and 15' wide. The surrounding buildings vary from 10 to 20 feet tall. The rear doors of businesses open onto the alley, one at the top of a short staircase. Some grimy barred windows overlook the alley. A broad sewer grate and a manhole cover near the back of the alley are the only other features of note. A vague smell of sour rotting grain permeates the alley.

    Initiative order:
    Thea 22
    Jonas 20
    Moru 18
    Andrew 16
    Swarm 15
    Darius and Rahvin 14
    Rats 13
    Stirges 11
    Raul 10
    Alarion 7
    Soulfetter 5

    Actions for round 2 please?

    Thea and Moru
    I made the asumption that you would have cast mage armor at some point during the day and that it is still active.
    Last edited by Scotley; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 03:33 AM.

  • #3
    Na Bith Mo Riocht T! COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Mowgli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR
    Posts
    11,938

    Ignore Mowgli

    SoulFetter

    Heedless of his own safety, SoulFetter barges through to the end of the alley, placing himself between mother/child and the nearest stirges. He will attack stirge 10.

    To Hit: 29 (Damage: 14) http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137395 & http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137406
    Crit Check: 11 (Crit Damage if Applicable: 16) http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137399 & http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137412

    OOC:

    I'll be out of town from early tomorrow until sometime Sunday. Feel free to take care of SoulFetter for me, Scott/Leif!

    IC Rolls will look really confusing on this one - having trouble gettin' my head on straight!
    Last edited by Mowgli; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 04:38 AM.

  • #4
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Posts
    105

    Ignore Maeglin
    Ralishazs luck! Rahvin curses, drawing his truncheon of Barcarus. The hideous stirge crawls up his left arm, seeking a soft spot beneath his russet leather gambeson. Trying to ward off his panic, Rahvin swats at the bat-like thing with shaking hands.

    OOC:
    Spoiler:
    Move action to draw the truncheon. Attacks the stirge at -2 penalty for a total to hit of 1d20 +5 -2 = 12 (Drat!). But I think it hits!
    Damage roll, just in case 1d4 + 2 = 5

    Great start, guys ! In media res Rahvin like!!

    BTW which stirge is attacking Rahvin? #6? #9?
    Last edited by Maeglin; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 04:39 AM. Reason: grammar
    Currently playing and DM'ing
    Tabletop:

    Kelsar Sularios, weaponmaster 8 in Tales of Kalidon Iron Heroes campaign.

    PBEM:

    Alexander Cross in TCurbo's In Awe and Understanding of Our Elders Amber DRPG campaign

    PBP:

    DM'ing The Return of the Sith Star Wars Saga , as DM Will of the Force

    Rahvin Stormcrow, rogue 5 in Scotley and Leif's Constables of the 14th Ward DnD 3.5 PbP


  • #5
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Scotley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    16,505
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Scotley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli
    Heedless of his own safety, SoulFetter barges through to the end of the alley, placing himself between mother/child and the nearest stirges. He will attack stirge 10.

    OOC: I'll be out of town from early tomorrow until sometime Sunday. Feel free to take care of SoulFetter for me, Scott/Leif!
    OOC: You can roll the attack yourself.

  • #6
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Helfdan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Juan, PR
    Posts
    1,695
    Gygax Memorial Fund Greyhawk

    Ignore Helfdan
    Alarion hears the screaming behind him, but can barely see anything given the horde of animals behind him, and the huge rats in front. He growls in supressed rage as he lifts his sword in both hands and fiercely slashes at the beast in front of him.

    Spoiler:
    Attacks two handed with power attack of 3: 1d20+7 = 25http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137358

    Damage 1d8+11=19 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137361

    In case it falls, Cleave the nearest one: 1d20+7=9 http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137374

    I suppose I missed , but just in case damage = 12

    Just in case, the three rats in front of Alarion and the swarm behind him are all in difficult terrain, given his Bulwark of defense ability
    Last edited by Helfdan; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 04:19 AM.

  • #7
    Na Bith Mo Riocht T! COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Mowgli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jonesboro, AR
    Posts
    11,938

    Ignore Mowgli

    Done

    OOC: Previous post amended with attack/damage rolls.

  • #8
    Member SILVER DEFENDER
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Lou's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    cypress tx usa
    Posts
    2,154
    I Defended The Walls! I Defended The Walls! The Perturbed Dragon

    Ignore Lou

    Raul - round 2

    Hanging onto the wall, Raul takes a deep breath, glancing over his left should at the rats and over his right shoulder at the civilians at the end of the alleyway...and jumps off the wall into the swarm between Andrew and Rahvin, making two sweeping martial art attacks into the swarm.

    Spoiler:

    First unarmed ki strike: 1d20+5-> [15,5] = (20)
    Second unarmed ki strike 1d20+5-> [5,5] = (10) http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137555

    Damage to the swarm from the first attack, if it hits, is 1d8-> [2] = (2) http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137562

    If the second attack hits, damage is 1d8-> [7] = (7), http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137564


    Raul positions himself sort-of between where Andrew and Rahvin were, as much as possible, to engage/delay the swarm so as to allow his comrades to fight the rats and stirges.


    OOC: What a way to start the day!
    Last edited by Lou; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 06:44 AM.

  • #9
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Scotley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    16,505
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Scotley
    Quote Originally Posted by Maeglin
    [COLOR=Red]

    Great start, guys ! In media res Rahvin like!!

    BTW which stirge is attacking Rahvin? #6? #9?
    OOC: Thanks! #9 is attacking Rahvin.

  • #10
    best rules guess
    I'm new to these rules so forgive me if I screw it up. It appears that with my base attack bonus, I can actually do two attacks in a round with (I guess) -4 and -8 to hit. Also, I plan to do each roll 4 die at a time hit/dam/critcheck/critdam and just ignore the last two in the absence of a critical hit.
    Irritated at having been dumped on his ass, Darius growls "You want to dance, Mickey? Let's dance." Going into full-attack mode, Darius wields his broadsword with lightning speed, swinging at Rat#1(Mickey), with a plan to go after Rat#2(Minnie) as soon as Mickey is taken care of. On his attack swing, Darius rolls hit/dam/crt/cdam - swing #1 (1d20+6=15, 1d10+5=8, 1d20+6=9, 1d10+5=13), and on his second attack Darius rolls hit/dam/crt/cdam - swing #2 (1d20+2=4, 1d10+5=6, 1d20+2=19, 1d10+5=7) (using same die roll, but with +2PwrA two-handed) 1d20+10-2-1=16, 1d10+5+4+1.5=13.5 (round down?)
    Last edited by xedr; Friday, 6th July, 2007 at 06:25 PM.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 170 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 1108
      Last Post: Monday, 21st April, 2014, 11:39 PM
    2. Replies: 827
      Last Post: Wednesday, 5th March, 2014, 02:49 PM
    3. Constables of the 14th Ward Part 3
      By Leif in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 1022
      Last Post: Thursday, 26th August, 2010, 05:06 AM
    4. Constables of the 14th Ward Part 2
      By Scotley in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 995
      Last Post: Sunday, 15th February, 2009, 08:43 AM
    5. [OOC] Constables of the 14th Ward
      By Scotley in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 1004
      Last Post: Thursday, 5th February, 2009, 04:08 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •