Constables of the 14th Ward

Scotley

Hero
xedr said:
[sblock=best rules guess] I'm new to these rules so forgive me if I screw it up. It appears that with my base attack bonus, I can actually do two attacks in a round with (I guess) -4 and -8 to hit. Also, I plan to do each roll 4 die at a time hit/dam/critcheck/critdam and just ignore the last two in the absence of a critical hit.[/sblock]

[sblock=For xedr]No problem. You seem to be confusing two weapon fighting with iterative attacks. You may be getting your total bonus confused with Base Attack bonus as well. We'll start with that. Normally, you get one swing in combat. If your Base Attack Bonus (before modifiers for magic, strenght etc. Is 6 or higher then you get an iterative attack in addition to you normal one attack. The normal attack is rolled base attack bonus + modifiers. Then you take the 2nd Iterative attack at a -5. So that's base attack bonus -5+ the usual modifiers. At 5th level a fighter gets a base attack bonus of +5, which is not good enough for an interative attack. At 11th level you get a second iterative attack for a total of three swings, one at normal base attack bonus of +11, One at -5 (so +6 net) and one at -10 (so at +1 net) then you add in all the other modifiers for strength, magic, feats, etc. Now, the rules you seemed to be trying to use are for fighting with a weapon in each hand. You get your normal attacks with the primary weapon at a penalty (If you base attack bonus were +6 or higher you'd still get iterative attacks with the primary weapon.) You also get an extra single attack with the weapon in your off hand. (Even if your base attack bonus were higher than +6 you still only get one swing with the off hand). Unless you take the proper feats (two-weapon fighting) and use a light weapon in the off hand (such as a dagger) then the penalties are really too high to make this style of fighting a good choice. You can also use a shield as a weapon to bash with instead of using it for defense, but again you face significant penalties. The upshot of all this is that Darius only gets the one swing per round. Most people don't bother to roll their crit check until after they actually score a 19 or 20 on the die. Remember that crits are based on the unmodified die roll, the type of creature you are fighting (many creatures are not subject to critial hits) and the weapon type. You don't get a crit for a modified 20. Only if the actual roll is a 20 (or 19 with the bastard sword). Hope that helps. Feel free to send me an email if you have additional questions about this. [/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
J. Alexander said:
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137989

Identifying the rats, Andrew calls out to his companions...."They are weakest in the chest area, strike there"..... Then he goes on full defensive.

OCC: Everyone gets a +2 to hit the large rat

For our benevolent DM's
I think i figured the dark knowledge accurately..but you may wish to recheck it.

OOC: Us benevolent? I think you've wandered into the wrong game. Note that Andrew is currently nauseated by the presence of so many bugs and creatures crawling on and around him. As posted above he is unable to "attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention." I'm afraid that includes calling on his dark knowledge. A move action to get out of the swarm is the only reasonable action at this point.

Leif

Adventurer
Flashback To This Morning's First Briefing With Ignatious Ironshirt

You Remember what Iggy said to you this morning ......

All right, me lads, here's what's on the agenda for today: Make your usual mornin' patrol around the Ward first thing, and then get to work on that matter I told ye yesterday about finding that missing halfling mapmaker, Krado Lyman. You remember, it's that thing we talked about where I want ye to help out the 2nd Ward constables with their investigation. The Magistrate of the Second, Charley Festus, is a good friend to the 14th, and his constables are spread pretty thin, what with that little strike by the Shiv in the 2nd, and everything. Anyway, Charley has asked me to send you boys over there to help them out with this, since he's got his Alphas pulling picket line duty along with every other constable he can lay his hands on. So I want you boys to get right on over to the 2nd Ward today and give them a hand!

Next round of attacks against the rats, etc. Thea, I believe it's your swing?

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Moru Sen, human conjurer

Realizing he probably shouldn't have pumped all his missles into a single stirge, Moru gulps, reaching into his spell component pouch and pulling out a pork rind.

"Try to latch onto this," he taunts, crushing the rind against his uniform. He switches into the gibbering you've come to associate with his spellcasting, and the point of contact from the rind seems to grow wet-looking, the glistening effect spreading all across the uniform even as the rind seems to shrivel to nothing.

Putting his back against the wall and drawing his truncheon, Moru cringes as he looks to the swarm. "If my friends weren't in the middle of you, I'd show you critters from nauseated." Instead, he lashes out with his police-issue weapon when the creatures begin to overtake him.

[sblock=OOC]Ugh. That'll teach me to have Moru memorize so many area affect spells. Anyway, Moru's casting Grease on his clothing. +10 bonus in his checks to resist or escape a grapple / pin.

He'll draw his truncheon as his move action. Since I'm hoping Grease makes the stirges much less of a threat, he'll save his AoO for if / when the swarm moves into his square:

Attack of Opportunity: 21, damage 5[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
'And the day started off so well," Thea thought wearily, as she perched partway up the wall and tried to make some sense of the situation. Even without Ironshirt's briefing, she would have been glad to be of assistance to the 2nd ward constables- she still had friends there (and just maybe, she wanted to preen a bit because of the elite team she was on now). But details like that would have to wait- the ambush had started badly, and it looked to get worse. She cast one single aching glance towards the innocents at the mouth of the alley- but before she could help them out, she would have to take care of a more immediate threat.

Almost reflexively, she reached out with one black-gloved hand and gestured, exhaling a few syllables of Slyvanoptera to direct a burst of focused mental static at the nearest stirge.

OOC: [sblock]Casting Whelm at Stirge#2. Casting defensively, Concentration roll 29 (1d20+9, TN 16, roll http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1138615), Whelm causes 3d6 nonlethal damage, Will negates, DC 15[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
OOC: I need DC: 18 Fortitude saves from Moru Sen, Soulfetter and Rahvin. Soulfetter and Rahvin also have attacks of opportunity coming against the swarm. (Moru having already rolled his.)

Last edited:

Maeglin

First Post
OOC: [sblock] Rahvin’s fort save at -2 penalty = 11 , so I guess he is nauseated.

However, the attack of opportunity should go off before the save is needed, therefore attack = 14 .

Damage is (1d4 +2=4)

BTW in case my original attack against the stirge goes off (I don’t know, but Rahvin may be nauseated and unable to attack) , sneak attack bonus damage should apply as the stirge is flatfooted. Sneak attack damage against stirge, if not nauseated (3d6=9) , plus the original 4 hp damage, for a total of 13… if it happens. [/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases