Constables of the 14th Ward

Helfdan

First Post
Alarion

The knight brings a skeleton covered in hide armor out of the warrens. "I believe this is... was... our exterminator. We should ask this warehouse owner his name... his possessions should be returned to his family."

Leif

Adventurer
Bocephus

Hearing Darius's call to him, Bocephus stops and looks up at him with his customary vacuous wondering gaze. He has a rat corpse under each arm, and is holding another one lovingly in both hands. After a second, you realize that the rat he is holding is missing its tail, then you notice the naked tail sticking out of Bocephus's mouth.

"Lyman, Lyman.....Nope, never heard of him! You want me to go ask around some for him? I'd surely be happy to oblige! Of course, I'll have to buy my contacts some drinks, and grease a few palms! A couple of silver pieces should cover it." Your grubby, slimy goblin buddy grins broadly around the rat's appendage.

xedr

First Post
Eyeballing Bocephus narrowly, Darius responds [highlight]"Don't screw with me Bo. You know I only pay for information, not drinks. If you bring me something I can use, there'll be one silver in it for you. Otherwise, enjoy your, uhhh ... lunch"[/highlight] Darius forces the last word out between clenched teeth.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
"Oh this is gonna be breakfast says Bocephus with a grin. I'll see what I can find out." He sets off with his prizes.

As everyone returns to the daylight a healer shows up and begins dispensing cures. "If this was in the line of duty I'll bill the magistrate's office for the cures."[/sblock]

OOC: [sblock=The wounded]He has enough spells for all the wounded to get up to 20 hit points back and those drained of Constitution will get 2 back.[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
SoulFetter

SoulFetter reaches up and grabs the lip of the manhole, pulling himself out of the sewer. He scrapes the worst of the muck off his boots on a nearby curb and watches his friend's conversation with the goblin.

Leif

Adventurer
Heeeeeere's IGGY!

Just as the last of the stragglers clambers up out of the fetid sewer and the healing spells are administered, everyone hears an approaching sleigh (driving on its wheels, as the runners aren't due to be installed for several more weeks yet). Soon after that, you hear an all too familiar growl and bellow:

"What in the name of Cian Waldric are my Distinguished Constables doing crawling around in a sewer when they were ordered, ORDERED, MIND YOU, to get their hindparts to the Second Ward to assist my friend Charles Festus's constables?" bellows Ignatious Ironshirt. "Well, By The Paladin's Armpits, I can certainly find more sewer mucking for you to do, since that seems to be your favorite hobby! What, praytell, is the meaning of this foolishness, anyway? Never mind! I don't want to know, do I? Get on with your assigned mission, if, that is, it's not too INCONVENIENT for you Gentlemen of Leisure to do some WORK today!"

Last edited:

Helfdan

First Post
Alarion

The tall knight smiles at the now-familiar berating. He shakes his head in amusement. Who would have thought I would be shouted at by a commoner thus? And that I would be amused? Morwyn's Mercy, but these so-called 'civilized' men have curious notions of behavior...

He walks up to the wheeled sleigh, clothes and cloak dripping mud and muck, with a skeleton in his arms. "Hail, master Ironshirt. I am afraid these are the remains of a ratcatcher hired by the owner of the feedstore, may Maal care for his soul. Murdered and defiled by the minions of that villain, Thornapple. Mayhap master Wheatstalk can inform us of his name, so that his next of kin can be notified, and his property returned to them." He gestures towards the silver-hilted dagger at his girdle. "We also found a book wherein the madman states his intentions, but most of his ramblings were unintelligible to me."

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Helfdan said:
Alarion
The tall knight smiles at the now-familiar berating. He shakes his head in amusement. Who would have thought I would be shouted at by a commoner thus? And that I would be amused? Morwyn's Mercy, but these so-called 'civilized' men have curious notions of behavior...

He walks up to the wheeled sleigh, clothes and cloak dripping mud and muck, with a skeleton in his arms. "Hail, master Ironshirt. I am afraid these are the remains of a ratcatcher hired by the owner of the feedstore, may Maal care for his soul. Murdered and defiled by the minions of that villain, Thornapple. Mayhap master Wheatstalk can inform us of his name, so that his next of kin can be notified, and his property returned to them." He gestures towards the silver-hilted dagger at his girdle. "We also found a book wherein the madman states his intentions, but most of his ramblings were unintelligible to me."

[ooc: I will graciously presume that your musings about "commoners" were not said aloud! Although this is not terribly clear from your post.]

Ignatious Ironshirt wrinkles his nose, and looks disgusted. "I don't know anything about any rat catcher! I do, however, know that you have been given an assignment that had nothing to do with any rat catcher! So, if you're quite finished dancing with that skeleton, I'll thank you to GET TO WORK!" Whereupon, Ignatious Ironshirt barks an order at his driver, and the wheeled sleigh whisks him away.

Last edited:

Helfdan

First Post
Alarion

Alarion sighs, as he turns the skeleton over to the uniformed men. "For the morgue, friends, until we ascertain whether he had family." He then turns to his friends. "Milady Amalthea, could you please see if master Wheatstalk can tell us this poor fellow's name and address? Once we are done with that, I suggest those of us besoiled should change clothes, then head over to the second ward."

Maeglin

First Post
Having thanked the healer for his timely aid, Rahvin turns to watch Ignatius’ sleigh drive off.

“Well, now,”
he says to no one in particular, his voice dripping with sarcasm. “This day is certainly starting out fine. First bitten by rats and all sorts of vermin, then bled by stirges, then a lovely stroll through an odorous sewer.”

“Good to know the Magistrate appreciates our efforts…” Rahvin’s mischievous smile returns, his good humor unspoiled. “Oh, well. Just another day in the City Constabulary.”

His gaze falls upon Alarion, and the burden he bears. The smile fades from his lips.

“At least we solved a mystery, and can bring peace to one restless soul. May Mormekar guide his spirit to Maal’s kingdom.”

Remove ads