FR Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil - Agents of the Yaun-Ti(Full)

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Greetings all.

For a while now I have been pondering the possibility of DMing a Yaun-Ti based game. Basically I love the idea of the subtleness craftiness that the Yaun-Ti employ when moving into/taking over a settlement. Then suddenly I had a rather twisted thought, instead of basing the adventures around taking over a new settlement why not base it around a small group of Yaun-Ti Tainted Ones whose mission is to infiltrating another evil organisation.

And that's when it hit me. Why not run the RttToEE adventure with a twist. Instead of being brave heroes out to stop the Insane Doomdreamers from releasing Tharizdun (which destroys the world in the process). Why not be Tainted One agents sent to infiltrate the mad cult to learn it's secrets and stop it from achieving it's goals.

So at this stage I'm checking to see if there are any like minded/twisted souls out there who'd be interest in such an adventure.

It should be noted that this game will be very different from the norm. As the majority of the time will be spent working separately in various parts of the cult, slowly learning more and more information as well as ingratiating yourselves among those you work with. Also since this is an evil organisation (the cult) that believes in competition among it's members (broken down into four elemental outlooks) expect plenty of backstabbing (both literal and figurative) by others and hopefully the PC themselves.

At some point I may also introduce the regular party of 'good' PC's who are also trying to uncover then shut down the cult. Whether the two groups ever work together I could say, that would be largely up to the PC's from the two groups to decide. Remembering the old adage. 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'.

At this stage I'm only looking to see who would be interested in playing on the Yaun-Ti side.

Due to the type of adventure skills will be very important for ensuring you're not discovered as a spy, or for ferreting out information and sneaking about.

Since there will be a lot of mundane duties (such as guarding) I'm thinking about handling some post in the form of what your PC's do/uncover over the course of a week. Otherwise trying to RP every hour of ever day will get boring pretty fast. So the boring mundane stuff would be glossed over, while I would go into more detail for significant events.

I can see this game as being tactically, and RP heavy with only light smatterings of combat for most of the game. That is unless you decide to make a direct assault on the Doomdreamers (the Head Clerics)

~~~~

At this stage I would be looking for four 4th level PC's (don't worry about the Tainted One template, that will be onto the character levels) who are able to operate independently for extended periods of time. All skills will be class skills and you'll have 32 points to generate your ability scores. I'll add further character creation details once I've had more of a chance to think about this game.

So post if you're interested, and feel free to submit a character concept for this.

~~~~

Character Creation Guidelines
Campaign Setting: Forgotten Realms
Posting Rate: Once a day (excluding weekends) is preferred
Number of Players: 3-5 only.
Race: Humans with the Yaun-Ti Tainted One Template (see below) applied
Classes & PrC's: Almost anything. Let me know what PrC you intend to go for though.
Level: 4th (ECL5)
XP: 13000
Ability Scores: 32 point buy.
Gold: 9000gp
HP: Max at 1st level, then average +1 HP's at every other level. (d4=3, d6=4, d8=5, d10=6, d12=7)
Books: Ant WoTC product 'should' be fine. In particular the Arms and Equipment guide has lots of useful gadgets.[sblock=Templates][sblock=Modified Yaun-Ti Tainted One Template]
Abilities: +2 Con
Racial Feats: Alertness(bonus)
Special Attacks:
  • Poison Kiss(ex): While grappling, a tainted one can choose to smear her opponent with poisonous saliva instead of deal damage. This poison "kiss" can only be used while grappling a foe with exposed skin. The tainted one makes an opposed grapple check instead of an attack and takes a -4 penalty on the check. If she wins, she successfully applies the poison (contact, Fortitude DC 13 + tainted ones Con mod, initial and secondary damage 1d4 Con) by kissing, licking, or lightly biting her opponent.)
  • Psionics(Caster Level equals character level):
    • 3/day Polymorph [snake forms only]
    • 1/day Poison (DC13 + Con mod)
Special Qualities:
  • Immune to charm and holds spells, and poisons
  • Spell Resistance: 12 +1/two character levels.
Languages: Yaun-Ti, Draconic, Common.
Level Adjustment: +1[/sblock][sblock=Amphibious Template]
Type: Gains the aquatic subtype.
Speed: Swim speed equal to half normal land speed
Special Qualities: Amphibious: An amphibious creature can breathe air and water equally well.
Abilities: +2 Dex
Skills: +8 racial bonus on any swim check. Can move thru water at it's swim speed without making Swim checks. Can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check.
Level Adjustment: +0
[/sblock][/sblock]
Use the above character creation guidelines when creating your character. Anyone may freely apply the amphibious template and everyone must apply the tainted one template.

Also bear in mind that three of the PC's will be working for the Air, Fire and Water temples (the earth temple current has no human members) so it would be helpful if you design your characters to fit in (by selecting elemental languages etc). While up to two others will be assigned to non-affiliated guard posts.

To keep the game moving along and to ensure that it doesn't get bogged down, you will be required to post your proposed actions for a week. From that I will then run any significant RP or combat encounters and reveal any tidbits of information as you discover them.

Warning! if you do go wandering off by yourselves you might be placing yourselves into significant jeopardy! As the Crater Ridge Mines tend to have buffer zones of wild monsters between the four temples, so be very careful. Having said that there will be plenty of opportunities to make/break alliances with the various creatures you encounter.

This game is going to be set just before the Doomdreamers begin to set their plans into motion, so some of you will take part in setting these background actions up (such as clearing the moathouse, infiltrating Homlett etc). Also at some point down the line (once your suitably established) I will recruit a small party of 'good' adventurers to run this adventure in the usual fashion. It will be up to you to decide whether or not you help or hinder these ones.

And finally this game will have plenty of scope for character development, it will be possible (through hard work and cunning machinations) for you to rise to ruling the various temples and possibly into the upper echelon of the Doomdreamers themselves, so have fun and think big.

Last edited:

Lord_Raven88

First Post
kinem said:
I'm interested. I'd like to know what options are available before posting a concept.
I'm flexible when it comes to source material. As long as it is a WoTC product it 'should' be fine by me.

Drerek

First Post
I think I would probably be interested. I've been playing a FR version of RttToEE for quite some time on Yahoo Groups. My favorite character exists there, a halfling druid who is slowly going crazy from the influence of the Eye. I think it would be cool to see it from the other side.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Drerek said:
I think I would probably be interested. I've been playing a FR version of RttToEE for quite some time on Yahoo Groups. My favorite character exists there, a halfling druid who is slowly going crazy from the influence of the Eye. I think it would be cool to see it from the other side.
kinem said:
I'll go with a psion as my spy. I don't think it'd be any problem for me to role play a bad guy
I look forward to seeing both submissions

s@squ@tch

First Post
I'm interested.

A couple of questions -- the evil pc's are working with the Yuan-ti, correct, they are not expected to BE yuan-ti?

Drerek

First Post
Lord_Raven88 said:
I look forward to seeing both submissions

The mad hin (I've got to post his story to the boards one day, he's now a Druid 9/Warshaper 2) is actually one of the good guys, although there is a distinct possibility that he will become so crazy he won't be playable.

As far as this game, maybe an evil bard.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases