Which edition had more PC Deaths

As the thread title - In your experience, which edition had more character deaths?

• First edition/2nd edition

Votes: 41 40.2%
  • Third edition/3.5e

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I have not noticed a difference

Votes: 26 25.5%

• Poll closed .

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
What I posted in the "ignore this thread" thread:

I couldn't possibly say since I didn't play with the same DMs over multiple editions. I personally think deaths come more from the DM and his or her style of play than from a particular edition.

Definitely more in 3e/3.5.

However, I need to add a caveat to that statement. I hate save-or-die effects. I prefer "save or be dying," "save or be badly injured," "save or suffer some other really nasty effect." But I don't want someone to be taken out of play, forced to sit around and watch everyone else having fun, by a single bad roll.

So I've tended to modify save-or-die throughout all the editions--1st, 2nd, and 3rd--and that may have impacted the death toll.

Still, in terms of deaths brought about through combat, injuries, non-insta-kill spells, and the like, 3E all the way.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Thornir Alekeg said:
What I posted in the "ignore this thread" thread:

I couldn't possibly say since I didn't play with the same DMs over multiple editions. I personally think deaths come more from the DM and his or her style of play than from a particular edition.

I'm just trying this out from a comment in the other thread that 3e is less deadly than earlier editions. You are of course correct DM and group really make the difference, but the system does impose tendencies.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Well I promptly skewed my own thread by voting for the wrong option, anyway to edit a vote? In an case 3e should have 1 more vote and 1e/2e 1 less - currently making 3e 100%.

drothgery

First Post
I've played 3.x for longer, and with different DMs than I played 2e with, but I had zero PC deaths in 2e, and I'm on my third PC in the current campaign in 3.x (though I went through several campaigns before I lost one).

Ourph

First Post
The number of deaths seems to be about the same to me. It's the reaction to the deaths that has differed between editions in my experience.

Jhaelen

First Post
I voted for 3rd.ed. but I've had a fair amount of player deaths (and the occasional TPK...) in my earlier campaigns, as well.
The 2nd.ed. Darksun campaign setting was pretty tough, but that's why every player had a roster of 4 characters and started at level 3...

I strongly believe it depends more on the individual DM than on the ruleset. I've played with a DM who was notorious for slaughtering parties with loaded encounters and home-brew monster creations and I've played with a DM who didn't dare to take off the kids' gloves. If you've ever fought a beholder who took great pains (literally!) to never open more than three eyes at a time (and certainly none of the save-or-die ones, at that), you know what I mean ;)

Remove ads