IG's Legend of The Ripper [OOC]

industrygothica

Adventurer
ethandrew said:
Ahhh, I misspoke. I, the player, have a low wisdom score; I've no idea what ability scores I would use thus far. I just had a gnome bard in my ftf, but it was an odd build and didn't fit with the cohesiveness of the group. A bard and monk would not truly fill in a tradition 4-spot perfectly, but it's manageable.

I see. Apparently I'm lacking a few ability points myself, or I'd have caught the joke. In any case, I've seen bards played well here, and I've yet to see a monk worth anything, but I think either would be sufficient if played properly, or at least adequately.

Regardless, I'd like to see what you've got when you've decided, or you can give me a snippet of each and we'll go from there.

industrygothica

Adventurer
As for the rest of you, and any other interested parties, feel free to chat amongst yourselves here in the ooc thread. Not only will that enable you to get a feel for each other, but it will also let me know who's still paying attention and actually wants to play in this game.

I fear that my timing for posting the recruitment thread may have been a bit off, but I'm hoping that interest will pick up some after Monday. Here's hoping, anyway.

Autumn

First Post
Okay, my Scout is all finished!

[sblock=Fen]Fenadin 'Fen' Cassell
Human Male
Neutral
Scout 1

12 Strength (+1) (4 pts.)
16 Dexterity (+3) (10 pts.)
12 Constitution (+1) (4 pts.)
14 Intelligence (+2) (6 pts.)
12 Wisdom (+1) (4 pts.)
8 Charisma (-1) (0 pts.)

BAB: +0
Grapple: +1
HP: 9
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft.
ACP: -0
AC: 15 (+3 Dex, +2 Armor), flat-footed 12, touch 13

Attack:
Handaxe +1 Melee, Damage 1d6+1, Crit 20/x3

or Shortbow +3 Ranged, Damage 1d6, Crit 20/x3, Range 60 ft.

or Light Crossbow +3 Ranged, Damage 1d8, Crit 19-20/x2, Range 80 ft.

Notes:
+1 Attack and Damage with Ranged Attacks within 30'
No penalty for firing into melee
+1d6 Damage within 30' while Skirmishing

Feats:
Point Blank Shot (Human Bonus)
Precise Shot

Abilities:
Skirmish (+1d6)
Trapfinding

Skills: (44; max ranks 4/2)
+5 Balance (2 ranks +3 Dex)
+5 Climb (2 ranks +3 Dex)
+7 Hide (4 ranks +3 Dex)
+3 Jump (2 ranks +1 Str)
+4 Knowledge (Local) (2 cc ranks +2 Int)
+5 Listen (4 ranks +1 Wis)
+7 Move Silently (4 ranks +3 Dex)
+6 Search (4 ranks +2 Int)
+5 Sense Motive (4 ranks +1 Wis)
+5 Spot (4 ranks +1 Wis)
+5 Survival (4 ranks +1 Wis)
+3 Swim (2 ranks +1 Str)
+5 Tumble (2 ranks +3 Dex)
+7 Use Rope (2 ranks +3 Dex +2 Circumstance)

Notes:

Languages:
Common
Elven
Orc

Equipment:
Shortbow (2 lbs, 30 gp)
20x Arrows (3 lbs, 1 gp)
Light Crossbow (4 lbs, 35 gp)
20x Bolt (2 lbs, 2 gp)
Handaxe (3 lbs, 6 gp)
Leather Armor (15 lbs, 10 gp)
Backpack (2 lbs, 2 gp)
-50' Silk Rope (5 lbs, 10 gp)
-Bullseye Lantern (3 lbs, 12 gp)
-2 pints Oil (2 lbs, 2 sp)
-10x Tindertwig (0 lbs, 10 gp)
2x Smokestick (1 lb, 20 gp)
Potion of Cure Light Wounds (0 lbs, 50 gp)
11gp, 8 sp

Total Weight: 42 lbs (Light Load)

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 185 lbs
Eyes: Blue-grey
Hair: Brown
Skin: Deeply Tanned

[sblock=Appearance]Fen is a big, lanky guy, giving off a general impression that's all old leather and hard liquor. He doesn't really look like someone you'd want to tangle with, even if his build is wiry rather than buff and even if the weary expression in his eyes and his slumped posture make him look old before his time. Years of hard living have taken their toll, but it seems there's some fight in him yet. He wears a battered old broad-brimmed hat and an equally battered travelling cloak, rarely bothering to remove either of them except to sleep.[/sblock]

[sblock=History]Fen's father was a military man, and he always expected his son to follow in his footsteps. That was fine with Fen. He was raised on war stories, drinking them up while sat wide-eyed on his father's knee. The hitch came when Fen was twelve. Maybe he wouldn't have minded so much if his father had died a good death in battle. That, he could have understood. But it just seemed so wrong that his father, the man he'd always idolised, who had always seemed so strong and brave, could meet his inglorious end at the wrong end of a broken bottle in a bar room brawl.

The next few years were difficult, but eventually Fen did join the army. His mother managed to convince him, far enough, that it was what his father would have wanted, and that the dead man's wishes were still worth honoring. The boy went through basic training with sullen determination and even saw a little action. His commanding officer noted that he seemed to have some natural aptitude and passed his observations along. The result was that Fen was offered a chance to get out of the ranks and train as one of the army's elite scouts and skirmishers. Caring little one way or the other, he accepted, retrained, and served another year.

By this time he was eighteen, and he was becoming the typical angry young man. He spoke little to his comrades, or to anybody else for that matter. On leave, while the rest of them chased girls around and danced, he sat in a corner drinking hard.

It was the alcohol that finally did for him. He was caught drunk on duty one day when he was twenty, and reacted to his commanding officer's reprimands by punching him in the jaw.

He was duly court-marshalled and discharged. He went back to his hometown beaten, confused and angry. He crawled inside a bottle, and stayed there more or less for nearly a decade, scraping together enough money to live by mooching off his mother and through occasional stints as a bouncer or day laborer.

When he was thirty, his mother finally died. It had been a long time since they'd spoken, but the shock of it hit Fen hard. He was sober at the funeral, and though it didn't last he hasn't quite slipped back into his earlier rut. He's begun making a living as a freelance investigator - a calling that hasn't on the whole endeared him to the watch, but that has at least given him something to occupy his mind and keep him sober part of the time.[/sblock][/sblock]

Hopefully he'd be a good fit for the 'sneaky' role. No Open Lock, but so long as we have some muscle around to bust a few doors down I figure that'll be okay. Likewise no Disable Device, which is a shame, but at least he has a decent Search mod. Once traps are found we can always throw a rock or a halfling or something at them to set them off. ;)

I have him pegged as a freelance investigator, but one problem is that he has zero social graces. So no Disguise/Bluff for undercover work, no Intimidate to get people to talk, no Gather Information for... well, gathering information...

So. I'm thinking, what would be particularly perfect is if there was somebody else - somebody, perhaps, a little Cha-laden - who might be interested in a little collaboration as Fen's partner. That only means a slightly longer association with him than with the rest of the group, since it's only in the last year that he's been in the line of work.

Of course it's not crucial or anything. But if it so happened that that appealed to anybody, I'd be happy. :)

Last edited:

Drerek

First Post
Would the Healer class from Minatures Handbook be allowed? Probably no, but I gotta ask :)

If not, how about the warlock from Complete Arcane?

s@squ@tch

First Post
Well, Deric is pretty much a bookworm who has spent most of his time within the walls of the university, so any affiliation he has with others in the group would have happened due to growing up near one another.

I think of him as someone fresh from the warm confines of the university, so someone who is quite booksmart, but naive in the real workings of the world.

He could be a boyhood friend of your scout, kind of the opposites attract sort of thing.

I just noticed Fen's age of 31, so that might not work so well.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Drerek said:
Would the Healer class from Minatures Handbook be allowed? Probably no, but I gotta ask :)

If not, how about the warlock from Complete Arcane?

I won't allow the Healer because it is not in the source material I've alloted for this game. The Warlock should be fine, however; Complete Arcane is on the list of allowed material.

Autumn

First Post
s@squ@tch said:
Well, Deric is pretty much a bookworm who has spent most of his time within the walls of the university, so any affiliation he has with others in the group would have happened due to growing up near one another.

I think of him as someone fresh from the warm confines of the university, so someone who is quite booksmart, but naive in the real workings of the world.

He could be a boyhood friend of your scout, kind of the opposites attract sort of thing.

I just noticed Fen's age of 31, so that might not work so well.

Mmmm. A nice idea, but as you say, the age could be an issue. Fen's whole concept - the grizzled old veteran who isn't really a veteran of anything - sort of relies on him being older than the average PC.

If I do manage to match him up with a partner, I guess it'd have to be somebody else who might have recently got into the private investigation game.

industrygothica

Adventurer
I've edited the top post with the names of those who've expressed interest and submitted a character concept. I've also added a section for approved characters, and will move from one list to the other as characters are selected.

Autumn: Fen is in. I look forward to gaming with you.

Still looking for arcane and divine casters and a fighter-type.

PhoenixAsh

First Post
This seems like fun and I'd love to give this a go. I'd like to submit a cleric concept, are you using the core pantheon for this adventure? If so I was planning to have him worship St. Cuthbert, but any similar deity/ideal would do.

Just wanted to check on this before submitting something in greater detail. :)

Rayex

First Post
industrygothica said:

Still looking for arcane and divine casters and a fighter-type.

I was aiming Rexy to be a fighter type. She'll probably start as a fighter, then move over to Swashbuckler with a few levels.

Remove ads