Dog Moon's Creatures [Updated Aug 13th]

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Frukathka said:
The Swanmay is a prestige class.

True, though in 2e it was a simple monster, IIRC.

Been thinking about this though. I'm sort of conflicted, actually. A part of me thinks this as a template would be better, but another part of me prefers this to be a creature of it's own.

Perhaps to help me with my decision, is there any specific reasons you believe this may be better served as a Template instead of a Race of it's own, or is it just how it feels to you?

Rhun

First Post
Dog Moon said:
So I chose Longsword for their weapon. Not particularly happy about that weapon because I would have sworn there was a blade that looked kind of like a question mark which more resembles a moon than a longsword.

I believe you are thinking of the khopesh sword.

Don't know where the d20 stats for it would be, though.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Rhun said:
I believe you are thinking of the khopesh sword.

Don't know where the d20 stats for it would be, though.

You know, that JUST might the sword I was thinking of. Should be either in Sword and Fist or Arms and Equipment, both of which would be fitting. If not, I have no idea where I might find it.

Thank you very much. :)

And I've been thinking: while the flavor of the Pearls/Onyxes might be better befitting a Template, I think the abilities which would be given within that Template don't really fit a Template well. [Strangely, a part of me was thinking this might not be a bad PrC, but I decided not to go quite that far].

Quartz

Hero
Dog Moon said:
True, though in 2e it was a simple monster, IIRC.

Been thinking about this though. I'm sort of conflicted, actually. A part of me thinks this as a template would be better, but another part of me prefers this to be a creature of it's own.

Perhaps to help me with my decision, is there any specific reasons you believe this may be better served as a Template instead of a Race of it's own, or is it just how it feels to you?

It's more your original description. If they were the distilled essence of the beauty of moonlight, they'd only appear when the moon was up. And each creature could have different abilities: one a combatnt, one a mage, one an oracle, whatever.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Pearl of the Moon and Fallen Onyxes

Okay, I have listened to Quartz and come to a compromise: I have changed the description of Pearls and they should now be more fitting as creatures of their own rights. However, I am also working on a Template which will represent those Chosen by the Moon Goddess instead of being created by her as in the description of the Pearls.

[Sblock=Notes From Before]
Okay, this was inspired when I saw the name of a Dragon in another thread, Pearl, Dragon of the Moon or something similar to that, but it didn't really have any 'moon-like' abilities and I didn't think what I had in mind would be particularly appropriate for Dragons, so I went with fey.

Again, as what I frequently do when making new creatures, I used Nymph as the base creature and modified it, switching Swim speed with flying, modified a couple of skills/feats, and their abilities. Behind the changes, I'm sure the 'Nymph' part is fairly noticeable now that you know about it.

So I chose Khopesh for their weapon. Not particularly happy about that weapon because I would have sworn there was a blade that looked kind of like a question mark which more resembles a moon than a Khopesh.

Note: I'm only about 95% done. Need to find a couple of appropriate feats is all.[/Sblock]

Pearl of the Moon

Size/Type: Medium Fey
Hit Dice:
6d6+6 (32 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft, fly 20 ft (Perfect)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
Attack: Khopesh +6 melee (1d8+3/19-20)
Full Attack: Khopesh +6 melee (1d8+3/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Aura of Awe, Khopesh specialization, stunning reflection
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, darkvision, Strength of the Moon, unearthly grace
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +12
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 19
Skills: Diplomacy +13, Escape Artist +12, Gather Information +13, Heal +12, Hide +12, Listen +14, Move Silently +12, Profession (any one) +8, Sense Motive +12, Spot +14, Tumble +10
Feats: Ability Focus [Stunning Reflection], Alertness, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Any
Organization: Group of Sisters (3-5)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic good
Advancement: 7-12 HD (Medium)

The true beauty of the Pearls of the Moon is seen only at night. They appear as highly attractive scantily clad women. Their hair tends to be bleach white, their eyes a light color [most frequently light blue], and their skin a milky white color. Depending on the fullness of the moon, they skin takes on a radiant glow as they take on strength from the moon. While even when there is no moon their skin appears to be slightly luminescent, when the moon is full, their bodies completely glow in beauty.

No one knows what they look like during the day and while many people have various speculations of why this is, the truth of the matter is that they never stay where they are during the day. Just as the moon is about to fall behind the horizon, Pearls of the Moon fade away to follow the moon across the moon and to reappear in that exact same spot the next evening. [During this time, their wounds completely heal due to their closeness with the moon and the power it grants them, unlike the normal 1 hp/HD each night].

Pearls of the Moon were created when the Moon Goddess saw her temples being desecrated by an enemy and her worshippers were unable to stop such actions. Her tears as she saw these horrors fell to the ground and formed into the Pearls, forever to be guardians of her temples and ideals. It is said that the numbers of the Pearls will never die out because whenever one dies or turns into an Onyx, the Goddess sheds a single tear of sadness for that fallen Pearl and this tear becomes a replacement. Whether this is true or mere legend, no one truly knows, but it has been noticed that whenever one perishes, another arrives the very next night.

They are protectors of what belongs to the Goddess of the Moon and if something has been stolen from one of her temples, the Pearls will retrieve the stolen good(s). Other times, they simply dance and rejoice, offering their prayers to their Goddess. They also act as guardians at her temples during the night because that is when they most frequently are robbed or attacked. One of the saddest goals they must accomplish is the destruction of a sister who has become a Fallen Onyx and who hurts people. [They feel saddened at the loss of a sister who leaves them, but they will not hunt her unless she begins committing acts of evil] They will spend as much energy as possible to kill their fallen sister because as of yet, those sisters cannot be redeemed.

COMBAT
Aura of Awe (Su): Creatures within 30 feet feel a great sense of awe towards the Pearl of the Moon. Their desire to fight her is lessened. They suffer a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and AC. Also, any morale bonuses they may be gaining affecting the above effects is negated. This lasts as long as the creature is within the aura as well as a number of rounds after equal to her HD. A Will DC 17 negates this effects. Special: effects granting morale bonuses to the save does not work on this save.

Khopesh specialization (Ex): Because of their training with this weapon, Pearls of the Moon treat Khopeshs as light weapons for the purpose of being finesseable. Also, they deal damage by using their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier.

Strength of the Moon (Su): As a free action, Pearls of the Moon can draw upon the essence of the moon. The power and light of the moon surround her, causing her body to take on a slightly translucent, glowing look. She gains a +2 morale bonus on Dexterity, Charisma, and AC. They can do this twice per day and it lasts a number of rounds equal to their newly modified Charisma modifier +3.

Stunning Reflection (Su): As a standard action, a Pearl of the Moon can hold up her blade. As she does this, the moonlight strikes the blade and is reflected in a 60 foot cone before her. All within this area must make a Will save DC 19 or be blinded. This also has a benefit of empowering the sword, granting her a +2 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls and becomes as a holy weapon.

Fallen Onyxes

Size/Type: Medium Fey
Hit Dice:
6d6+6 (32 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft, fly 20 ft (Perfect)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
Attack: Khopesh +7 melee (1d8+3/19-20)
Full Attack: Khopesh +7 melee (1d8+3/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Aura of Fear, Khopesh specialization
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, darkvision, Strength of the Shadows, unearthly grace
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +12
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 19
Skills: Bluff +13, Escape Artist +12, Gather Information +13, Hide +14, Intimidate +13, Listen +12, Move Silently +14, Profession (any one) +8, Sense Motive +12, Spot +12, Tumble +10
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus [Khopesh]
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic, either neutral or evil
Advancement: 7-12 HD (Medium)

Fallen Onyxes appear as highly attractive scantily clad women. Their hair tends to be raven black, their eyes a dark color [most frequently midnight blue], and their skin as dark as shadows.

Fallen Onyxes are Pearls of the Moon who have fallen into darkness - literally - for some reason or another. Some have simply tired of being protectors and while it might not seem like a big decision, it causes her to lose all benefits of worshipping the Moon Goddess. Others have turned their backs on their Goddess or have been swayed by outside forces into changing. When this occurs, they feel a great pain within their bodies as all the light within their bodies escapes back towards the moon, leaving only shadows.

While they harbor thoughts which aren't good, not all of them act on it. It depends solely on their reason for turning. Those who tire of being protectors become Neutral and most frequently tend to live quiet lives alone. The same goes with those who turn their backs on their Goddess, though many of these become Evil as well. Those who are turned through outside forces are almost guaranteed to become evil.

COMBAT
Aura of Fear (Su): Creatures within 30 feet feel a great sense of fear towards the Fallen Onyx. Their desire to fight her is lessened. They suffer a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and AC. Also, any morale bonuses they may be gaining affecting the above effects is negated. This lasts as long as the creature is within the aura as well as a number of rounds after equal to her HD. A Will DC 17 negates this effects. Special: effects granting morale bonuses to the save does not work on this save.

Khopesh specialization (Ex): Because of their training with this weapon, Fallen Onyxes treat Khopeshs as light weapons for the purpose of being finesseable. Also, they deal damage by using their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier.

Strength of the Shadows (Su): As a free action, Fallen Onyxes can draw upon the essence of the moon. The power and light of the moon surround her, causing her body to take on a shadowy form devoid of all light as the form of her body seems to fade away. She gains a +2 morale bonus on Dexterity and Charisma and AC. They can do this twice per day and it lasts a number of rounds equal to their newly modified Charisma modifier +3.

Void (Su): As a standard action, a Fallen Onyx can hold up her blade. As she does this, the shadows are drawn to the blade. Surrounding her in a 20 foot radius is an impenetrable darkness of which only she can see through. This is treated as the Deeper Darkness spell. This also has a benefit of empowering the sword, granting her a +2 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls and becomes as an unholy weapon.

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Touched by the Moon Goddess

And here is the Template:

Pearls of the Moon exist to protect the Moon Goddess' temples and ideals. However, as they live within an area only during the night, someone needs to dwell within those areas and protect during the daytime. Thus those who she felt followed her example best and are the most devout have become touched by her hand.

When the Moon Goddess decides someone is worthy of being Touched, she visits them in the night. They feel the breath of life within them and it is always a pleasant feeling. This night will be filled with pleasant memories during which they will always feel the light of the moon upon them. As they dream, their body and mind will undergo changes, though they will not realize this until the morning.

The Moon Goddess Touches someone of her faith who she feels worthy of this blessing. This person is always female and the changes the woman receives brings her a step closer to the good in appearance and power.

Those Touched by the Moon Goddess becomes slightly more slender. Their skin softens, whitens, and in light of any sort appears to give off a slight aura as if their skin was reflecting the light cast upon them.

"Touched by the Moon Goddess" is a template which can only be added to any female humanoid. While there technically are a few others who have been gifted, rarely does the Moon Goddess touch those who are not humanoid. It is a personal preference, really, but she is willing to Touch those who not humanoid if they go above and beyond what most would normally do for her. She will not, however, make any exception for males of any species.

Size and Type: Those Touched by the Moon Goddess retain their size, but their type changes to Fey.

Attacks: Those Touched by the Moon Goddess become proficient with her weapon, the Khopesh. They must use this weapon to the exclusion of all others.

Special Attacks:
Those Touched by the Moon Goddess retain all special attacks and gain the following:
Stunning Reflection (Su): As a standard action, a Pearl of the Moon can hold up her blade. As she does this, the moonlight strikes the blade and is reflected in a 30 foot cone before her. All within this area must make a Will save [10 + 1/2 HD + Cha modifier] or be blinded.

Special Qualities:
Those Touched by the Moon Goddess retain all special qualities and gain the following:
Aura of Awe (Su): Creatures within 30 feet feel a great sense of awe towards those Touched by the Moon Goddess. Their desire to fight her is lessened. They suffer a -1 morale penalty on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and AC. This lasts as long as the creature is within the aura. A Will DC [10 + 1/2 HD + Cha modifier] negates this effects.
Fey Traits
DR 5/cold iron

Feats: Weapon Focus (Khopesh)

Abilities: Dexterity +2, Charisma +2

CR: +1

LA: +2

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases