Computers beat up my role player

Shadeydm

First Post
Yet despite the title name, after six pages it has still not been proven that Mr. Gygax is or was a munchkin, yes excellent thread clearly no ulterior motive.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Hussar said:
The fact that with the 9d6 stat gen system, you are almost guaranteed 3 18's. Certainly, your prime stats should be above 16.
Well, actually with 9d6 the chance for an 18 is slightly less than 18%. This is a very high chance indeed, but the result is far from being guaranteed.

I don't argue that the UA method creates very powerful characters, but I just wanted to set the record straight with regard to the probabilities... :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
When all is said and done the object of a game is to entertain and amuse those participating in its play. In my considerable experience with players, it is generally preferable to them to have a viable character of their choosing with which to adventure. Having a PC with a prime stat of 16 with which to begin play is a desirable thing for the majoprity of players, certainly the vast majority of new players.

When the D&D game was first created, state meant little. As it developed, stats became ever more important to the PCs success and survival.

In these regards I submut that the methods of determining PC stats in the UA work had nothing to do with munchkinism but rather to do with capturing and pleasing player participants. Munchkins miraculously rolled stats of 18, 17, 16, 15, 15, and 10, for Charisma and as proof the numbers were honestly generated, no matter what dice system was used to determine these ratings :eek:

Frankly, IMO the grousing about UA is just another gamers' exercise of their personal opinions of what is "right" and "wrong" in the RPGof their choice. That is something I fully understand, do on occasion myself (even in regards to what I have prevously written), and have no quarrel with. There is no accounting for or disputing of personal tastes.

It goes without saying that my own are impeccable, and all that disagree with them are just plain wrong :p

:lol:
Gary

diaglo

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
When the D&D game was first created, state meant little. As it developed, stats became ever more important to the PCs success and survival.

i again submit that one need only look at Supplement I Greyhawk(1975) as the proof to why stats became so important.

3d6 in order
str
int
wis
con
dex
cha
d6 for hps
0 hps = dead

diaglo "grousing about a game he still plays" Ooi

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
molonel said:
And guess what the RPG stands for?

So much for my suggestions and requests. Apparently I did not make clear enough the types of behavior that were being troublesome. Well, now I shall demonstrate by example...

Molonel, please do not post in this thread again. If you've got a problem or question about that, please e-mail myself or another mod. Our addresses are in a post stickied to the top of the Meta forum.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Since in some ways this has become a branch-out of the Q&A thread, I'll ask Gary:

Did you like that Ability Scores had become so important? Did you have any plans to reduce their importance?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Akrasia said:
Why is his "point" "valid"? What exactly is his point? Is it simply that the old modules had lots of loot, that players back then were 'munchkins' (or 'power gamers', or whatever), etc.? Big deal. It seems like a rather uninteresting, petty "point" to devote such energy towards, in multiple threads over multiple years.

It may seem uninteresting to you, but the way assertions about 3E descending into munchkinnery keep cropping up, correctives like Quasqueton's posts are a valuable check on ignorance of the game's past. Personally, I found his comparisons of treasure hauls to be quite illuminating, helping me to overcome a misconception about 3E compared to earlier editions. And I thank him for it.

You may not find such things interesting, but then, you don't have to participate in those threads either.

Halivar

First Post
Hussar said:
The fact that with the 9d6 stat gen system, you are almost guaranteed 3 18's. Certainly, your prime stats should be above 16.
Finally! I can play a paladin!

Just kidding... sort of. This seems like a good rolling mechanism for gestalt campaigns.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
molonel said:
I do find it mildy amusing that we have to start lopping off letters from an acronym so that we get "MMOG" and "so-called MMP online games" because it's so hard to use the abbreviation that is actually used to describe them: MMORPG.

And guess what the RPG stands for?

IME most people refer to them as MMO's, rather than MMORPG's. It's more accurate to me anyway.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Gentlegamer said:
Since in some ways this has become a branch-out of the Q&A thread, I'll ask Gary:

Did you like that Ability Scores had become so important? Did you have any plans to reduce their importance?

This thread should probably be abandoned for non-related questions and move back to the official EGG thread.

Remove ads