Computers beat up my role player

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Numion said:
Many people consider 3E to be catering to powergamers and be the source of decline in roleplaying, so it's kinda ironic that the creater of D&D fits that bill too.

Yeah, the sheer number of people being wrong never ceases to amaze me :p .

VirgilCaine said:
Sounds like the D&D version of the movie Buried Alive. Except I'd do it cheaper, grindhouse style.
"He betrayed their trust... Now they're back... He killed them for the money... and now he's going to choke on it!

Nah. "He betrayed their trust... NOw they're back... He killed them for the money... now he destroys them again and becomes a hero for defeating all those zombies, gaining XP and treasure in the process." This is D&D, after all. :cool:

Dimwhit

Explorer
Henry said:
In Forge and Robin Laws-terminology, Gary comes off to me as one of the more "role-play lite" gamers out there. He's in it for the fun, if in-character banter happens, then great, but having fun with it, whether it be puns, crazy traps, deus-ex-machina-yet cool situations, etc. is the primary focus. It's why I like him so much - this very thing influenced my and my friends' play as we were growing up. We had the stupid names and jokes, the power-gamed characters who carried everything from pouches of black pepper to throw off trackers to cut-off medusa heads on sticks to scare monsters with, etc. And if our characters started a game buck naked in the bottom of the Dungeons of the Slave Lords, then that was cool too - we'd never done it before! :)

Amen, brother! I want to take both sides of the 'roleplay vs rollplay' debate and smash their heads together. I'm in it for the fun. If the game is fun, great...be that will in-character banter or hack-n-slashing your way through a dungeon. It's all the same.

The only way the game was 'meant' to be play was to be fun.

SavageRobby

First Post
Henry said:
In Forge and Robin Laws-terminology, Gary comes off to me as one of the more "role-play lite" gamers out there. He's in it for the fun, if in-character banter happens, then great, but having fun with it, whether it be puns, crazy traps, deus-ex-machina-yet cool situations, etc. is the primary focus. It's why I like him so much - this very thing influenced my and my friends' play as we were growing up. We had the stupid names and jokes, the power-gamed characters who carried everything from pouches of black pepper to throw off trackers to cut-off medusa heads on sticks to scare monsters with, etc. And if our characters started a game buck naked in the bottom of the Dungeons of the Slave Lords, then that was cool too - we'd never done it before! :)

QFT.

Ah, Medusa-on-a-stick. Good times, good times.

Numion

First Post
Henry said:
In Forge and Robin Laws-terminology, Gary comes off to..

Using Forge and Robin Laws terminology on Gary is like using psychoanalysis on Hannibal Lecter . He defies analysis. :cool:

RFisher

Explorer
Numion said:
Many people consider 3E to be catering to powergamers and be the source of decline in roleplaying, so it's kinda ironic that the creater of D&D fits that bill too.

Hmm.

I always thought it was because Gary was the kind of player to fully exploit every advantage he could find that limited how much he "catered" to "powergamers" as both DM & designer.

Though it seems odd to me that what anyone other than Gary might think about 3e makes a statement by Gary ironic.

Numion

First Post
RFisher said:
Hmm.

I always thought it was because Gary was the kind of player to fully exploit every advantage he could find that limited how much he "catered" to "powergamers" as both DM & designer.

He did write UA, didn't he?

Though it seems odd to me that what anyone other than Gary might think about 3e makes a statement by Gary ironic.

Well, it was also Gygax who said that 3E caters to powergamers: "IMO there has been a vast shift in game focus in 3E. The archetype has gone by the board, comic book-like feats are a feature, the whole purpose of play is set on killing things, and power gaming is encouraged."

Emphasis mine. Pretty tough talk from a self-admitted powergamer.

And ironic :p

Numion

First Post
diaglo said:
imo, he wrote that for his powergaming scions.

More telling would be to know if he used stuff from it for his own characters.

EGG: "C'mon, my scores suck! Re-roll, c'mon?"
DM: "You know the rule; no re-rolls"
EGG: "Dayum.. whatever, my fighter falls on his sword"
EGG: *goes write UA method IX for stat rolls*

Remove ads