Computers beat up my role player

Ace32

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
:uhoh:

That opinion is a minority one for sure. The Greyhawk Supplement to D&D sold in huge numbers with virtually no colmplaints about it's contents.

Of course when I DM OD&D thses days I eschew that particular supplement as well as the others, play the three booklets with a few house rules tossed in :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary

I'm sure you have addressed this before, but what is it that you usually DM these days? As a younger player, I broke into the system with 3e and therefore have no experience with the older rules. However, all the talk about the feel of older games + the recent threads about old modules has intrigued me

What would you recommend I look at to recreate some of the feel of these older games? Aside from trying to buy out-of-print copies of those games and run them without any revision...

Edit: This may be considered an off-topic post, but considering the thread began with a quote from the Colonel, I hardly think I'm straying by asking him about his game ;)

diaglo

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
:uhoh:

That opinion is a minority one for sure. The Greyhawk Supplement to D&D sold in huge numbers with virtually no colmplaints about it's contents.

Of course when I DM OD&D thses days I eschew that particular supplement as well as the others, play the three booklets with a few house rules tossed in :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary

see you came back around.

OD&D(1974) is the only true game. :D

Col_Pladoh said:
Back in the 70s there were a cadre of complainers that were never satisfied with anything done to A/D&D in the books or in magazine articles. I said rather crossly, "If we printed and sold the material at the current price on leaves of solid gold, there would be a chorus of those birds whining about the weight." :]

As they say, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Or, as it usually goes on the Wizards boards, "If WotC included a $20 bill in every [box / book / etc.], people would complain about how it was folded."

I guess it's good to see that, even coming into the fold somewhat late in the game (I was a 2E "baby"), I've merely joined a long line of cantankerous rules-fiddlers. :D

I've always wondered what it is about our hobby that breeds this sort of thing?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ace32 said:
I'm sure you have addressed this before, but what is it that you usually DM these days? As a younger player, I broke into the system with 3e and therefore have no experience with the older rules. However, all the talk about the feel of older games + the recent threads about old modules has intrigued me

What would you recommend I look at to recreate some of the feel of these older games? Aside from trying to buy out-of-print copies of those games and run them without any revision...

Edit: This may be considered an off-topic post, but considering the thread began with a quote from the Colonel, I hardly think I'm straying by asking him about his game ;)
As if the Mods here would chastise you or me for getting off the listed subject. After all, this is "Q&A with Gary Gygax" :lol:

I mainly run my latest creation,a Lejendary Adventure FRPG campaign. The group does play Metamorphosis Alpha now and then with jim Ward as the GM.Now and then I will do a one-off OD&D or OAD&D adventure. DMer one of the former last Satyrday for around four or five hours in fact.

As far as I am concerned, the closest game to AD&D is the Castles & Crusades system from Troll Lord Games. About all that is harringly different in it is AC and to hit numbers. You might want to have a look at it.

Cheers,
Gary

Oops!

Confsed this thread with the one noted. My bad :/

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
As they say, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Or, as it usually goes on the Wizards boards, "If WotC included a $20 bill in every [box / book / etc.], people would complain about how it was folded."
:lol:

How true, how true...

I guess it's good to see that, even coming into the fold somewhat late in the game (I was a 2E "baby"), I've merely joined a long line of cantankerous rules-fiddlers. :D

I've always wondered what it is about our hobby that breeds this sort of thing?
And I amongst the worst of that lot :] ...and I do not generally approve of the fiddling done by others!!! :mad:

In point of fact, every GM worth his salt has at least a small amount of "improvement" to contribute to the game system played.

:lol:
Gary

molonel

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
Quasqueton has been very consistent in his efforts to correct what he perceives as misperceptions regarding the early days of D&D. I see this thread as another in that long (and noble) line. What's so great about Quasq is that he does so by providing quotes. Actual textual evidence. Which imo is worth more than ten reminiscences, however interesting.

Quoted for truth. Quas has been one of the best and most factual debunkers of nostalgia on this forum, and what's more, he hasn't been unkind or ugly or rude about it.

"Just the facts, ma'am. Just the facts."

What's funny is the amount of ire I've seen directed at him for it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases