Computers beat up my role player - Page 14
Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 564
  1. #131
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh


    That opinion is a minority one for sure. The Greyhawk Supplement to D&D sold in huge numbers with virtually no colmplaints about it's contents.

    Of course when I DM OD&D thses days I eschew that particular supplement as well as the others, play the three booklets with a few house rules tossed in

    Cheerio,
    Gary
    I'm sure you have addressed this before, but what is it that you usually DM these days? As a younger player, I broke into the system with 3e and therefore have no experience with the older rules. However, all the talk about the feel of older games + the recent threads about old modules has intrigued me

    What would you recommend I look at to recreate some of the feel of these older games? Aside from trying to buy out-of-print copies of those games and run them without any revision...

    Edit: This may be considered an off-topic post, but considering the thread began with a quote from the Colonel, I hardly think I'm straying by asking him about his game

  2. #132
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Stone Mountain, GA 30087
    Posts
    16,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh


    That opinion is a minority one for sure. The Greyhawk Supplement to D&D sold in huge numbers with virtually no colmplaints about it's contents.

    Of course when I DM OD&D thses days I eschew that particular supplement as well as the others, play the three booklets with a few house rules tossed in

    Cheerio,
    Gary
    see you came back around.

    OD&D(1974) is the only true game.
    Laugh Scott DeWar laughed with this post

  3. #133
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    7,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Back in the 70s there were a cadre of complainers that were never satisfied with anything done to A/D&D in the books or in magazine articles. I said rather crossly, "If we printed and sold the material at the current price on leaves of solid gold, there would be a chorus of those birds whining about the weight."
    As they say, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

    Or, as it usually goes on the Wizards boards, "If WotC included a $20 bill in every [box / book / etc.], people would complain about how it was folded."

    I guess it's good to see that, even coming into the fold somewhat late in the game (I was a 2E "baby"), I've merely joined a long line of cantankerous rules-fiddlers.

    I've always wondered what it is about our hobby that breeds this sort of thing?

  4. #134
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace32
    I'm sure you have addressed this before, but what is it that you usually DM these days? As a younger player, I broke into the system with 3e and therefore have no experience with the older rules. However, all the talk about the feel of older games + the recent threads about old modules has intrigued me

    What would you recommend I look at to recreate some of the feel of these older games? Aside from trying to buy out-of-print copies of those games and run them without any revision...

    Edit: This may be considered an off-topic post, but considering the thread began with a quote from the Colonel, I hardly think I'm straying by asking him about his game
    As if the Mods here would chastise you or me for getting off the listed subject. After all, this is "Q&A with Gary Gygax"

    I mainly run my latest creation,a Lejendary Adventure FRPG campaign. The group does play Metamorphosis Alpha now and then with jim Ward as the GM.Now and then I will do a one-off OD&D or OAD&D adventure. DMer one of the former last Satyrday for around four or five hours in fact.

    As far as I am concerned, the closest game to AD&D is the Castles & Crusades system from Troll Lord Games. About all that is harringly different in it is AC and to hit numbers. You might want to have a look at it.

    Cheers,
    Gary

    Oops!

    Confsed this thread with the one noted. My bad :/
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Tuesday, 24th July, 2007 at 09:21 PM.
    XP Scott DeWar gave XP for this post

  5. #135
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo
    see you came back around.

    OD&D(1974) is the only true game.
    Heh...

    Maybe the rules light, skill-bundle-based Lejendary Adventure game has escaped your attention


    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar gave XP for this post

  6. #136
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Patryn of Elvenshae
    As they say, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

    Or, as it usually goes on the Wizards boards, "If WotC included a $20 bill in every [box / book / etc.], people would complain about how it was folded."


    How true, how true...

    I guess it's good to see that, even coming into the fold somewhat late in the game (I was a 2E "baby"), I've merely joined a long line of cantankerous rules-fiddlers.

    I've always wondered what it is about our hobby that breeds this sort of thing?
    And I amongst the worst of that lot ...and I do not generally approve of the fiddling done by others!!!

    In point of fact, every GM worth his salt has at least a small amount of "improvement" to contribute to the game system played.


    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar gave XP for this post

  7. #137
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    After all, this is "Q&A with Gary Gygax"
    Not to nitpick, but no, it's not. That thread is down the page and around the corner

  8. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyfair
    Not to nitpick, but no, it's not. That thread is down the page and around the corner
    Caught my error just before reading your post...but it is appreciated anyway!

    Cheers,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar gave XP for this post

  9. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug McCrae
    Quasqueton has been very consistent in his efforts to correct what he perceives as misperceptions regarding the early days of D&D. I see this thread as another in that long (and noble) line. What's so great about Quasq is that he does so by providing quotes. Actual textual evidence. Which imo is worth more than ten reminiscences, however interesting.
    Quoted for truth. Quas has been one of the best and most factual debunkers of nostalgia on this forum, and what's more, he hasn't been unkind or ugly or rude about it.

    "Just the facts, ma'am. Just the facts."

    What's funny is the amount of ire I've seen directed at him for it.

  10. #140
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by molonel
    Quoted for truth. Quas has been one of the best and most factual debunkers of nostalgia on this forum
    . . . while creating his own propaganda in regard to the current edition and past editions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Are you a good role player?
    By Crothian in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: Friday, 1st April, 2005, 09:26 PM
  2. Are you a Roll-Player or a Role-player?
    By Mista Collins in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Wednesday, 13th August, 2003, 12:15 PM
  3. Roll Player -> Role Player .. hopefully
    By Ave Rage in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Sunday, 13th April, 2003, 07:24 AM
  4. What are you? Powergamer or role-player?
    By Eternalknight in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Tuesday, 4th June, 2002, 02:44 AM
  5. How deep is the Division? Roll Player & Role Player
    By Valicor in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Thursday, 9th May, 2002, 06:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •