Computers beat up my role player

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
molonel said:
What's funny is the amount of ire I've seen directed at him for it.
No ire here. That is my calm and rational opinion of the subject, just as I'm sure yours is.

The first person to be suspected of bunk is the "debunker."

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
So Gary do you agree with me that 2e sucked and all those who liked it stink of elderberries?

...What?

;)
Well of course I do...

No, WAIT! I didn't say that--I couldn't have :uhoh:

On a relative scale 2E isn't so bad. think of Tunnels & Trolls for example...

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Vocenoctum said:
.... I have never liked 100% of any system, but at least I read them first. :)
So you have too much spare time on your hands?

Hard-core gamers have someone demonstrate the new system...like the GM!

J/K

:D
Gary

molonel

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Caution! The, "Do as I say, not as I do," rule was very often in operation in the Golden Age of A/D&D (you know, when there were a lot more players than there are now...). Not to say this statement is not applicable today.

You can't see the bald head, but I was one of those players in the Golden Age of A/D&D. Back when AD&D was the main game in town, and it didn't have to compete with World of Warcraft selling 2.4 million copies of its first expansion set during the first 24 hours after it was released.

Quas's point is simply to wipe away some of the nostalgia, and paint a slightly more realistic picture. His point is valid.

Col_Pladoh said:
Not so unusual, strong opinions amongst people with differing views of what is entertaining. Edition wars are truly an unproductive waste of time.

Except that his posts, even when attacked, tend to be so entirely devoid of ire, anger or the same sort of slander that gets hurled at him.

I enjoy flamewars. I fully expect people to throw me the bird, accuse me of shooting their dog and act like I should be put in jail.

Quas is actually one of the more reasonable, rational, calm posters on this forum.

Hence, the oddity.

Gentlegamer said:
No ire here. That is my calm and rational opinion of the subject, just as I'm sure yours is. The first person to be suspected of bunk is the "debunker."

Which is why nobody can ever really answer his points, except to attack his character or motives. Yes, I realize that.

Drowbane said:
Who the hell is this "Col_Pladoh" and what the hell does he know?

Bahahahahaha!!!

That actually made me guffaw. Thank you.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hi Molonel,

A couple of quick comments.

The current version of D&D can not compete with WoW, so I do believe that the plan os to alter it so as to be more like the electronic competition. WE shall see, eh?

Ad for Quas', if he was there then what he says has some weight. If all he is doing is quoting what was written somewhere, secondary source material unquestionably, then it is no more than yet another opinion. Any refutation by one that was there is at least as valid an opinion...

And that is my considered opinion.

:lol:
Gary

molonel

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
The current version of D&D can not compete with WoW, so I do believe that the plan os to alter it so as to be more like the electronic competition. WE shall see, eh?

That was in response to your comment about how there were more D&D players back in the day. I've never seen an actual number-crunching from any source I consider reliable, in that regard. But the fact is, there are more people playing roleplaying games now than ever before. D&D got the ball rolling, and now has to compete with its own success and the children it spawned in a variety of forms, and methods of delivery. The market that WotC faces now was not the same market that TSR faced.

Col_Pladoh said:
Ad for Quas', if he was there then what he says has some weight. If all he is doing is quoting what was written somewhere, secondary source material unquestionably, then it is no more than yet another opinion. Any refutation by one that was there is at least as valid an opinion...And that is my considered opinion.

I think what he says needs to be addressed on the merits of his arguments, rather than by counting his grey hairs.

I see some truth in his claims, and I see more discomfort in the people flinging monkey poo at him rather than considered or reasoned responses.

Remove ads