Help me spice up this scenario...

Felon

First Post
In my Sunday game, the party is going off on a side quest to Acheron, the LE plane of eternal warfare where metal cubes hurtle through an endless void. The basic draft of the scenario revolved around a failed heist. The NPC's attempted to rob one of Hextor's fortresses that was on a cube which was due to collide with another cube. They figured it would be easy pickings with everyone evacuated. Something went wrong, and one of them barely got out in time to avoid the big crunch. The rest didn't get out at all.

So, now he's conned the PC's into making a return trip to finish the job, but now that the threat is over, the scavengers have shown up, and Hextor's forces are returning as well. I could make this just a long series of fights easily enough, but there need to be some other diversions to keep things entertaining. Got any ideas?

Here are the current considerations:
1) Party of 8th and 9th level characters.
2) Definitely including some LE monsters whose minies I've been wanting to use for a long time: Githyanki captain on red drago, aspect of Hextor, & rakshasa enlightened fist.

Just looking to spice things up between initiative rolls. Ideas for noncombat encounters, environmental hazards, loot, and other points of interest are welcome.

the Jester

Legend
I bet a post-collision cube has some structural integrity problems. You could have collapsing, bending or breaking landscape obstacles.

What about a Hextorite who had deserted before the evacuation, and survived the collision? He could try to turn the pcs in to his old unit, if he wants to get back in with them; otherwise, he could be a source of information and a good rp encounter.

Schmoe

Adventurer
I definitely agree that the remaining structure should be extremely unstable, with collapsing walkways, toppling walls, and the threat of cave-in imminent. Have the sounds of distant cave-ins echo through the fortress every now and then, with maybe some shaking, to punctuate the threat.

Environmental scenery should include partially buried victims and scenes of devestation: metal pillars ripped in half and twisted like licorice, smoldering remains of furniture, smoke-filled hallways, etc.

How about a fiendish soldier trapped by the rubble who has become undead - maybe a wight or a ghoul?

There could be a fissure at the base of the structure that leads to the core of the cube. Waves of hatred and madness radiate from the shadowy depths of the fissure, causing all who come close to make a Will save (DC 22) or go into a berserk frenzy and fight until death.

Ravilah

Explorer
Are the characters good aligned? The githyanki captain or raksasha could have been at the fortress prior to the collision in order to fulfill a vow to his dark master (take back the 6 Blades of Insanity, steal the Helmet of Iron Hatred, kill the avatar of Hextor that lies entombed below, etc.). Whoever it is, he has a lot more knowledge of the fortress than the PCs and will help them clear out the joint if they help him get what he wants. They could find the NPC buried in twisted rubble and calling for help.

Do they just kill him where he lies and take his stuff? Do they take up his offer? Will he turn on them? If disaster befalls will he leave them to their doom? Is he even telling the truth? Is he actually a gnome with a kickass illusion spell?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
There's not just going to be collapsing bits, there's going to be little bits speeding about. This plane isn't bound by real world physics, that's why everyone lives on flying dice, right?

Dust Clouds
Rock showers (meteor showers really, but try to keep the fantasy element going)
Lightning Storms (genre/theme appropriate although not based in fictional-reality you've created)

Since its the plane of eternal warfare, you might also have guys who were buried in rock who are now suddenly free. It might be cool to create a kind of minefield where the souls of the fallen have been somehow crystallized, ready to spring forth the trapped warrior if disturbed.

As a side note, it's tempting to have a lot of DEX/Tumble/Reflex checks. Spread the hazards out more than that. You need something the spellcasters will be good at avoiding, the rogues will be good at avoiding, and the warriors will be good at avoiding.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Blood Golems of Hextor could still be present on the cube. There's even minis for these. They could also just witness clashes between two forces locked in endless combat as they sweep by the cube.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases