Wizards of the Coast/Kenzer & Company License Agreements Expiring

mhensley

First Post
I just saw this here-

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24248

Wizards of the Coast/Kenzer & Company License Agreements Expiring

It is with regret that we announce that KenzerCo’s license with Wizards of the Coast for the D&D brand and the oD&D/AD&D copyright licenses for use with HackMaster will be expiring soon after GenCon. It was a fun seven year run and we really enjoyed writing official D&D materials and honoring former versions of that illustrious rules-set in our own particular KenzerCo way.

KenzerCo will continue to support the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting with setting and source material but the products will no longer bear the D&D logo. Any product currently bearing the D&D logo will only be offered for a limited time after the expiration of the licenses.

We will continue to support 4th edition HackMaster with adventures and other original materials on a going-forward basis, but will no longer offer “hacked” versions of 1e/2e/oD&D materials. Further, the class books, Hacklopedias, PHB, GMG and any “hacked” adventures will only be offered for a limited time after the expiration of the licenses.

The licenses were both rewarding and lucrative, and we at KenzerCo thank Wizards for the opportunity to play in the TSR/WoTC sandbox for the last several years.

We will be happy to answer any questions on the subject on our discussion boards through the Kenzerco.com site.

Yet another sign of big changes coming soon for D&D?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I imagine this was a prearranged date, but it sure feels like an opportunity for a sea change. Of what sort, I don't really know.

Sounds like it's time for Kenzer to make some cash! Any fans got a list of all the books available in hard copy at this point? Anyone got any particular favorites in the Hackmaster line? Any of them particularly translatable to 3E?

takasi

First Post
Bummer.

When the Dragon cancellation was announced, Jolly Blackburn came on and said that the Knights of the Dinner Table Magazine might publish more D&D material. Right now there are occasional Kalamar articles, but with their license they could have added "official" D&D material in their magazine. I don't play Hackmaster, so much of the game material they include in the magazine is lost on me. Maybe they'll at least add more d20 material. All of it is an afterthought to the comics though.

When will someone speak of the edition that should not be said?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
This arrangement, iirc, was only made because of some issues in the old TSR/WotC deal. I don't think WotC wants anyone "hacking" their old stuff. I don't think this has anything to do with changes to D&D.

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
mhensley said:
I just saw this here-

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24248

Yet another sign of big changes coming soon for D&D?

Not a case of WoTC yanking a license or being a bully.

We've known for 7 years the license would eventually end. We didn't request a renewal. Nor did we want one to be honest.

We've been planning for this moment for quite sometime and have a lot of irons in the fire. In other words we're moving forward.

We'll still be supporting HackMaster with new product(s). We just won't be selling/reprinting any of the material derived/hacked from AD&D properties.

There have been a lot of questions about the future of HM. We understand the apprehension some fans may have about the future of their game.

All I can say is 'stay tuned'. We just released a new major adventure for the game at Origins and there's more in pipe.

Again this isn't a case of WotC yanking our license or being a bad guy.

We always saw our license(s) as an opportunity/stepping stone. And we're extremely grateful for the experience.

Doing products like Aces and Eights has been made possible from that journey. And we have plans to do more product of the same calibre and quality in the future.

Well other than a constant improvement of product. I think Aces and Eights is good example of what you can expect down the road.

That's really where our focus has been as a company. Though mostly behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Belen

Adventurer
This is good news. I never liked the Kenzer products. I always felt that they were really weak and that other 3rd party publishers would have been better served with the D&D logo.

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
Belen said:
This is good news. I never liked the Kenzer products. I always felt that they were really weak and that other 3rd party publishers would have been better served with the D&D logo.

lol. Well -- it didn't stop us from selling LOTs of product with the D&D logo on it.

We have a solid core following. That's all a game company can ask for I suppose.

People vote with their wallets.

So it's all good. I think it all really boils down to player tastes and style preference.
So I'm not really insulted. Far from it.

Pick a game/system and play it. That's my motto.

Game On!

mhensley

First Post
Belen said:

I seriously doubt that we will ever see the D&D logo on a 3rd party product again. While I was not a big fan of Kalamar, the production value of their products was very high.

mhensley

First Post
Jolly_Blackburn said:
Not a case of WoTC yanking a license or being a bully.

We've known for 7 years the license would eventually end. We didn't request a renewal. Nor did we want one to be honest.

Jolly,

Was there a set date for the ending of the license when you entered into it or did they just recently contact you to let you know that they were ending it? Thanks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases