Magic Set Editor - May be for spell cards?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Magic Set Editor.

Has anybody ever seen that? While it is primarily made to create TCG cards, I think (looking at the files) it's possible to create some new templates for the program - without a place for a picture and more place for text... to create printable spell-, monster-, initiative- or magic item-cards very easily.

Has anybody seen or tried that?

pdzoch

Explorer
Magic Set Editor.

Has anybody ever seen that? While it is primarily made to create TCG cards, I think (looking at the files) it's possible to create some new templates for the program - without a place for a picture and more place for text... to create printable spell-, monster-, initiative- or magic item-cards very easily.

Has anybody seen or tried that?

Way old thread, but I noticed that no one answered. I've done several templates using Magic Set Editor for spell cards, treasure items, initiative cards (Tents) for both players, NPCs, and Monsters.

Jhaelen

First Post
I had a look at it when I started designing cards for a board game. However, the documentation for creating new style templates is rather bad. The recommendations in the forum boil down to 'try and error'.

I've found Strangeo Eons to be way better - for my purposes, at least, because it also supports other game component types, e.g. tokens and boards. Also, it's implemented in Java, and there's a quite good development kit available for it.

pdzoch

Explorer
The magic Set Editor does have a steep learning curve if you are trying to design a new card or template from scratch. But, once a template (style) is done, then it is a breeze. Trick is to find a pre-made style that works. Some style templates are pretty flexible, while other are not. And if none suit your needs, you will have to create from scratch, which leads to the steep learning curve.

Remove ads