Dungeon CRawl Classics

Thurbane

First Post
Hi all,

Just wanting some feedback on DCC adventures.

From what I understand, they are an attempt to capture the flavor of the good old modules like Secret of Bone Hill, Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan, Lost Temple of Tharizdun etc. in a 3.5 ruleset.

I'm thinking of getting some to put into my campaign, but my question is this: do they easily lend themselves to be put into an ongoing camapign? Also, do they suffer from the cheese of some of those older modules (i.e. dungeons that have no realistic ecosystem, where monsters sit in defacto suspended animation waiting for adventurers to stumble by?)...

Any feedback would be appreciated...at the moment, I'm looking for adventures around 10th or 11th level.

Crothian

First Post
They are up to 50 of these things so as one might imagine they can be hit and miss. I've reviewed each of the ones of run and they can be found in the review database. I always use them in ongoing campaigns. I've fit two of them so far into my Shackled City campaign.

I feel the eco systems are a little better then the 1e days but there can still be problems like you indicate. However as a DM I have no problems switching out monsters and just adding in a more lived in feel.

For the levels you are looking for I'd suggest number 12 and 12.5 and you can find reviews I did for both of them. The first is for characters of 9-11 and the second is for characters 11-13. The first is saving a bunch of paladins and clerics from a small undead army and does not suffer from the two issues you talk about. The second one is then going after a crypt those paladins set up and to protect it from more of these undead guys but to ultimately have to break through all the protections yourself to do so.

SavageRobby

First Post
I really like the DCCs, and I don't even run d20 anymore. I've used them in Savage Worlds and will be featuring them in my upcoming C&C game set in the Wilderlands (along with some old 1E modules). I've found the DCCs to be both fun and challenging, and (for the most part) not too over the top.

In addition to the modules mentioned, you might check out #30 The Vault of the Dragon Kings, which was used as a tournament module at Gencon, and is a nice combo of story and hack and slash. Also, #4 Bloody Jack's Gold is a great treasure map adventure.

pogre

Legend
I have had no problem fitting them into a campaign. Most of the brief descriptions on their website let you know how hard/easy it is to fit into your campaign. The dungeon "ecology" is better in most of these than the old days. There are only a couple of these modules I have purchased that I did not care for - and lots of other folks love those modules.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It would be hard to imagine modules worth a damn that are easier to fit into a campaign. Even the least exciting DCC I've purchased is head and shoulders above many of the adventures I've bought over the years.

I've also had good experiences with the DCC series, despite not using them for 3E. Even though I'm running C&C and OD&D, these days, Goodman and Necromancer still get my money. :D

Thurbane

First Post
SavageRobby said:
In addition to the modules mentioned, you might check out #30 The Vault of the Dragon Kings, which was used as a tournament module at Gencon, and is a nice combo of story and hack and slash.
This was one of the ones I had my eye on at my FLGC. :)

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Crothian

First Post
Note that their tournament modules are tough. I have them and they are good but I seriously think if I ran them it would be a TPK as they are probably more then my players could handle. ;)

Grimstaff

Explorer
Crothian said:
Note that their tournament modules are tough. I have them and they are good but I seriously think if I ran them it would be a TPK as they are probably more then my players could handle. ;)
They are tough, but mainly only in the sense that, being a tournament, players are expected to finish the adventure in one long crawl. In a normal campaign, with the ability to come and go as necessary, the adventures are quite doable, while still more than challenging enough to keep the party on their toes...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I read all the DCC modules from this year as part of Ennie judging. There were three I really didn't care for, and the rest were good to amazing.

Remove ads