Advice for first time gencon-visitor

johnsemlak

First Post
I've just sorted out summer travel plans that allow me to visit Gen Con for the first time ever. Can I get some quick advice on what planning I need to do now? I'm planning to drive from the Bloomington-normal IL area. I'm assuming that it' makes more sense to drive rather than try to find a hotel. Which days are the best to choose, if I only want to do a couple?

The fact that some people seem to plan for GC months in advance intimidates me a bit. Is there still time for me to do some cool stuff.

John

(1) Take a look at the official schedule and see if there are any events that you especially want to try to attend.

(2) See if there are any games being run by the ENW crew that you want to play in.

(3) Choose the day(s) you attend based on the activities you wish to participate in.

(4) Give yourself a good 4 hours to spend wandering the Dealer Hall.

Steve Jung

Explorer
If you don't already have a badge, you'll need to get one at GenCon. Those lines can be long, so plan accordingly. The ENNies booth is in the dealer hall, so stop by anytime. It's the meeting place for ENworlders.

johnsemlak

First Post
Steve Jung said:
If you don't already have a badge, you'll need to get one at GenCon. Those lines can be long, so plan accordingly. The ENNies booth is in the dealer hall, so stop by anytime. It's the meeting place for ENworlders.

What time is a good time to arrive to avoid the lines? Is it definitely too late to get one now?

johnsemlak said:
What time is a good time to arrive to avoid the lines? Is it definitely too late to get one now?

Pre-registration closed on the 9th of July, so you're stuck with waiting in line. Last year, Wednesday late afternoon/evening the line was freakin' huge, and Thursday morning was just a madhouse, too. I don't know how long the wait was, but the lines were long enough that I wouldn't want to find out.

It might be worth sucking up to someone if they are going to be there early Wed., and/or waiting in line already.

Arnix

First Post
I have waited in that line... Never again. You are looking at somewhere between 3-5 hours. Longer if you get there later int he day. We got there about 8 or 9am and we got a late lunch at the Con (~1pm).

Mind you, this was the first year in Indy, so things were a little hectic, however this is the 40th Anniversary.

The GenCon lines are the only lines I have seen that are worse than DragonCon.

FickleGM

Explorer
The first year in Indy was by far the worst, but there still appears to be a considerable line. I haven't paid much attention to the day-by-day breakdown of the line, however, as I always pre-reg and have my badge mailed to me.

Figure out which day or days that you will attend and show up early. :)

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
For me there are two important events not to miss at Gen Con:
The ENnies and the costume contest.
The ENnies (Friday night) should be a no-brainer. Assemble with EN Worlders (and other board readers) and the crème of the publishing world. Participate in the excitement that is the world's première RPG awards.
The costume contest is on Saturday afternoon, and features filk/dementia artist The Great LukeSki performances as well as some brilliant costuming. You can also count on a few EN Worlders participating in it as well.

If I had to pick two days, Friday and Saturday would be it. If you can stand crowds, it is quite the experience to be swept into the dealer's hall by the masses when it first opens in the morning. I find it exhilarating to be in the middle of so many like-minded geeks, it's like coming home- or at least being beamed back up to the mothership.

As for what to do now, check out what events you'd like to attend. There are seminars, games, and non-gaming events aplenty. Check out the Gen Con planning thread for games planned by ENW'ers. Start saving your money, and planning what you're going to pack. A comfy pair of shoes and a water bottle should be at the top of your list!

Don't forget to drop by the ENnies booth to say hi!

johnsemlak said:
I've just sorted out summer travel plans that allow me to visit Gen Con for the first time ever. Can I get some quick advice on what planning I need to do now? I'm planning to drive from the Bloomington-normal IL area. I'm assuming that it' makes more sense to drive rather than try to find a hotel. Which days are the best to choose, if I only want to do a couple?

The fact that some people seem to plan for GC months in advance intimidates me a bit. Is there still time for me to do some cool stuff.

John

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases