Marvel Avengers, 1889 [Full]

Karl Green

First Post
LONDON, Eighteen Hundred and Eighty Nine.

The Victorian Age is in its latter day,
as the final decade of the 19th century begins.
It is a time of great change in an age of stagnation,
a period of chaste order and ignoble chaos.
Yet still... it is an Age of Wonders.

And there came a day, a day unlike any other,
when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat.
On that day, the AVENGERS were born!
Banding together to thwart foes no single Man Of Renown could withstand,
they fight for love of Country, Queen and the Future!

Come with me now friends. You urchins and educated audience, as we begin our memorium of thrills and chuckles.
Though let us not forget the many serious and morally instructive points there are within this narrative…
- Firstly: Women, though precious, will always go on and make a fuss. Also, they may swoon at times.
- Secondly: The German and Chinese are brilliant... but evil.
- Lastly: Laudanum, taken in moderation is good for the eyesight and prevents kidney-stones.

With these dictums in mind, allow me to wish you many hours of pictorial pleasure.

Stand straight true believers!!
AVENGERS, if man ye be and not some craven dog of Flanders -- let loose a hearty HUZZAH!!

Long live the Queen!

AND NOW THE TEAM!!
The Incredible Mister Hulk (played by hero4hire; character done)
The Savage Wolverine (played by Jemal; character done)
Captain Britania (played by Elric; character done)
Justice! (played by Redclaw; character done)
The Scarlet Witch (played by the_myth; character done)
Black Widow, the Spider-Woman (played by Shayruri; character done)
The Mighty Thor (played by Blind Azathot)
and Ronin (played by Necro Kinder)

I found a nice map of London 1887, HERE

===

OK so crazy idea… a friend of mine (Demongg) and I had been playing a M&M 2nd ed game based on Marvel’s Avengers… but in 1889. Sort of a ‘re-imagined’ Marvel heroes game, somewhat similar in style to Marvel 1602, but into a Victorian England state of mind. Kevin (Demongg) ran the intro game and I ran one adventure when we moved on to something else. I was much depressed by the move and I am thinking about running a play-by-post version of this game here. What I am thinking is that the first adventure I would run would be after the team has formed. With the Avenger Mansion located in the Tower of London, the Avengers have been wildly accepted by the masses. New foes have arising, but the Avengers stand ready to thwart them!

Now I am not 100% ready to run this yet, and looking for interest. A big admission from me is that I will post, but if people stop posting I can get discourage, so I would only ask that if things seem slow, just post something your character is thinking or doing to let me know that people are still interested in the game.

The game would use Mutants and Masterminds 2nd edition, along with Ultimate Powers. Power Level 8 with 150 power points. Trade-off are allowed but I would like to see most within +2/-2 with a maximum of +4/-4. I of course want to look over all characters before they are approved. I am thinking maybe 4 or 5 players… I might go to 6 but that would have to be the hard maximum.

ORIGINS – and to better reflect the Victorian age, your hero should be from one or more of the following Origins
Alien – from out-space (Mars) or from beyond the ‘veil’ (Feye, etc)…
Mad Science – the product of invention, or some chemical elixir…
Mystic – magic items or spellcasting ability, etc
Son of Darwin – born with these strange gifts that manifested generally in puberty…
Tutelage – super training of the far east or just a darn good boxer from the docks…

If you are interested, please post whom you would be most interested in playing… maybe 2 or 3 characters maximum. Note again that I don’t really want original characters for this game… former or current members of the Marvel Avengers are whom I am looking for, sorry. I feel that as I am allowing LOTS of levy-way with these characters anyway, you are not locked into a personality that you personally don’t want to play.

Characters can use any Marvel Average that they would like, and re-imagine them (their look, their name, their history, their sex, whatever) as they see fit BUT still retaining the basics of the character. Some examples of this that were batted around that I thought were very keen (note I don’t expect anyone to use any of these, even if they want to play an Avenger based on one of these)…

The Mighty Thor: Doctor Donald Blake is a gentleman surgeon working in the poorer regions of London after having been wounded in India. During one of his operations on an old and blind Danish man that was beaten badly, the man passes along his plain wooden staff to transform him into the MIGHTY THOR.
Donald Blake struggles with his marriage to young Miss Foster as he is an emasculated and nebbish man while Thor is both grand and dynamic.

Lord Iron: Baron Anthony Stark was a English manufacturer of weapons and scientist far ahead of his time when he was captured by Captain Nemo after his latest battleship was sunk. Studying the strange sciences under Nemo, he realized that he needed to serve a greater cause than himself.
Having adapted the technology, the Steam powered Iron Giant now protects London as he has constructed his own sub and operates from a Mysterious Island alcove off the British isles. He struggles with drink and his own prediction of a War like any other.

Captain Britainia: Alan Quartermain's sickly son survived his time in Africa where he was given a special herb formula while visiting dark and mysterious Wakanda. Trained by the Native Savages in their martial arts (especially the BLACK PANTHER), Steve Quartermain has returned to his British homes a Tarzan like Lord amongst men.
Not accustomed to civilized justice he uses his Wakandan/Zulu like metal shield with the Union jack on it to fight crime.

The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver: Two gypsies imported as part of a Circus where they were kept as part of a sideshow attraction by the unscrupulous Mister Sinister using his own powers of mesmerism. The two have broken free but their color and foreign nature makes them perpetual outcasts along with their strange abilities.
They hide their abilities and dwell in squalor.

The Golem and his father Goliath: Jewish Rabbi Ezekiel Pym has long studied the Secrets of God to communicate with insects, gain the strength of Goliath, and work upon protecting his people from evils that would imperil them. To this end, he has created two golems from parts of his own spirit.
One that works to destroy all whom have oppressed the Jews from his anger. The second being a much more forgiving and noble man that was constructed out of the image of the slain brother of his wife Jeanette, Simon.

Note now, that this game takes place during the 1889. There are a LOT of weird and somethings uncomfortable ideas that came out of this period. I am NOT going to play that standard racism, sexism and social norms of this time period, in fact it will be a bit of a ‘rosy’ unrealistic enlightened outlook, with MOST of these themes pushed to the background… but there may be some (and again it will be more comic book fear and hatred), and I don’t want to offend people. Recognize it for what it is, just a aspect of the game, or I could drop it all but I am not sure if the game would feel even close to right, and why not run it in the modern day then.

Finally this game is based on a comic book… and as such, comic book logic and all that apply :D

Last edited:

hero4hire

Explorer
The Strange Case of Doctor Banner and Mister Hulk

Doctor Robert Banner, an esteemed Psychiatrist and Physician from Cavendish Square,
was studying a way to unlock a persons inner personality, to tap into the hidden strength from within. Normal techniques and theories only led him to dead-ends. So he turned to Alchemy, and during one promising experiment he was accidentilly interrupted by the House Boy, Richard. After the resulting explosion Banner found that, in times of stress he would turn into the entity known as "Mister Hulk" a monstrous specimen of physicality, unhindered by modern society's restraints.

Jemal

Adventurer
This sounds SO sweet..
Would Sersi be allowable?
If not, I'd have to choose between Spider-man and Wolverine (who were both part of the Avengers at times)

hero4hire

Explorer
Simon Williams, Man of Wonder

Son of Wilford Williams a Munitions Factory Owner who was run out of Business by the innovations of Baron Anthony Stark. Wilford took his own life and his son Simon vowed vengeance. He made a deal with an Evil German Scientist Zemo, making him a Man of Wonder, but in the end could not murder Stark and he betrayed Zemo. Zemo in retribution took Williams life. Recently Simon has risen from the dead, why no one knows.
Is anything beyond the capabilities of the Man of Wonder?

hero4hire

Explorer
Sir Francis Clinton aka The Hawk

obviously inspired by Zorro and Robin Hood.

Rich Blueblood by day, Masked Vigilante Archer at night.

No real details yet, just barebones idea.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
ON second thought, Sersi has WAY too many powers to be effectively portrayed in a game...

Hmm, the Amazing Spider Man or the Ferocious Wolverine

Redclaw

First Post
The Black Knight

Seems a bit too obvious, but certainly would be a great fit for the Tower et al.

Dane Whitman, a young scientist whose ideas are too far-fetched to be given any credence by his contemporaries, discovers he is the descendant of Sir Percy of Scandia, knight of the Round Table. In further exploring his family history he is able to discover the burial site of his ancestor, and there finds his legendary Ebon Sword. Using the scientific theories that his peers ridiculed, Whitman created a winged horse to carry him into battle and started preparing himself for the inevitable return of his ancestor's mortal enemy: Mordred.
It is only after he has begun to battle the evil he sees in the world around him that he realizes the sword he is using carries a strange curse.

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
hero4hire said:
The Strange Case of Doctor Banner and Mister Hulk

hero4hire said:
Simon Williams, Man of Wonder

hero4hire said:
Sir Francis Clinton aka The Hawk

Any one of these would be most Excellent indeed!!

Jemal said:
ON second thought, Sersi has WAY too many powers to be effectively portrayed in a game...

Hmm, the Amazing Spider Man or the Ferocious Wolverine

I like both of these characters a great deal, so if you are interested in either…

Redclaw said:
The Black Knight

Sounds very cool, and nothing is to obvious for comics :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases