D&D 2E Conan 2e Preview and Character Sheet

Insight

Adventurer
With the new edition coming out, will products such as the Conan Compendium still be viable? I imagine products mainly consisting of setting-related info wouldn't be affected much.

The preview is probably NSFW. There's a half-naked woman in the sidebar graphics.

I will echo the question about B&W vs color, as well. And really, I understand it's Conan and all, but nudity on every page?

I am very much looking forward to this, though. It's on my must-see list at GenCon.

GlassJaw

Hero
I didn't mind the art layout in the 1ed but damn, the 2ed is really obnoxious. I mean is that necessary? I love pr0n as much as the next guy but I don't need it so blatantly displayed on every single frakkin page in my RPG rulebook.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
GlassJaw said:
I didn't mind the art layout in the 1ed but damn, the 2ed is really obnoxious. I mean is that necessary? I love pr0n as much as the next guy but I don't need it so blatantly displayed on every single frakkin page in my RPG rulebook.

But... but... just yesterday you said...

Oh, nevermind. This will have to suffice: :\

GlassJaw

Hero
Wulf Ratbane said:
But... but... just yesterday you said...

I know exactly what I said. You said border art is always bad. I said no it's not. Case in point: the Conan 1ed book. It fit the Conan style and didn't detract from the text on the page.

The 2ed border art is a case of border art gone too far. The fact that there is border art isn't the problem - it's the content of the art that's the problem.

The 1ed style was much more subtle and subdued.

Darn. I thought we might be getting Grim Tales 2nd Ed. the NC-17 version.

Border art can be effective and unobtrusive. It can also be overdone and distracting. I think this falls in the latter category. (I fell the same way about watermarks, colored text, dark backgrounds, etc., although the light-text on dark backgrounds stuff drives me nuts anymore. )

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Border art can be effective and unobtrusive. It can also be overdone and distracting.

Art is overly broad. We're really talking about border illustration.

An illustration is not "content neutral." An illustration carries specific meaning, as opposed to simply being a pleasing form.

Any border illustration becomes distracting when it is repeated over 256+ pages. It is very difficult to do well, which is why you rarely see it done (and even more rarely do you see it done well).

That being said, I like boobies.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases