Dreamwalker d20 Revised - Gauging interest

pspahn

First Post
Hi everyone,

OK, I've been revising Dreamwalker d20, a game I created some time ago, and I'm about to start statting NPCs and creatures, but I wanted to see if there was any real interest in the setting before I spent the time and effort.

The basic concept is that nightmare creatures (the Brood) from the spirit world are invading dreams and slowly driving people insane. Some of them have the power to cross into the real world. These nightmarish creatures can manifest as evil humans, vampires, werewolves, or something more unique. Fighting these nightmares (whether in the dream world or the spirit world) is the game's central focus.

The book details dream magic effects (mana) which is different than other SFX. A lot of the text is devoted to dream design - how to simulate the random, shifting nature of a dream using a structured format.

Dreamwalker d20 Revised will support 5 different campaign models.

1. Guardians of the Real. These are average men and women who have Awakened (new feat) to the creatures living among us. They might be paranormal investigators, members of a secret society, or some other organization devoted to combating nightmares that have invaded the real world. This setting is basically occult horror in the modern day world. This setting is tied to the ot6her four and the characters have the option of becoming Dreamwalkers later in the game.

2. Project Dreamwalker. These are dream analysts who have the ability to Dreamwalk (new feat). They enter the minds of sleeping persons and combat nightmares invading dreams. This setting involves dream adventures which can be about anything from the mundane to the surreal.

3. The Clinic. These are dream analysts who are more interested in gathering information from dreams and influencing the sleeping mind. Characters will be called upon to go on some real world adventures (mostly covert ops). They are also forced to delve into the minds of more disturbed/sane dreamers.

4. The Sword of Gaia. This is another group devoted to combating horrors that have entered the real world. They also spend a lot of time in the spirit world, going on dream adventures and tracking down more powerful nightmares.

5. The Lost City. This setting is a "fixed" dream island located at the heart of the spirit world. It is a realm of epic high fantasy that contains a blending of all cultures ever found on real Earth. The island is being torn apart by the power of a phenomenon known as flux. The characters must venture deep into the dream lands to retrive mana to help keep the flux at bay. Characters can be Dreamwalkers from the real world or natives of the Lost City.

6. The Kingdom of Malice. This setting is another "fixed" dream island. It is the place where the nightmares originate and is designed to be dark and fatalistic. Characters can be unlucky Dreamwalkers from the real world or even unluckier natives of Malice.

So, those are the basics. I'll be crossposting this in other forums as well. The game is already written, it's just a matter of statting it out and then supporting it. At this point, my system choices are True20 or d20 Modern, but I'd like to target the most interested fan base (not necessarily the largest one). Any input is appreciated.

Pete

Psion

Adventurer
Sounds interesting. I'd have to hear more, but it sounds like you have a systematic approach to the thing and offer a variety of ways to explore the setting, which is cool.

As for interest, I am mostly a Spycraft 2.0 fan. I find D20 Modern to be workable, and do play it sometimes. I do not like True20 and it would take a lot of convincing for me to buy something attached to True20.

If you were to go the D20 Modern route, I prefer D20 Modern products that can be interchanged fairly easily with/can play alongside other D20 Modern products (Red Star is the sort of product I find not useful in this vein).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases