A new Middle Earth d20 thread

tleilaxu

First Post
Re: Bombadil, Goldberry, Ungoliant, WitW, etc

personally i think bombadil and goldberry are maia, but i think ungoliant is meant to be something else. Consider her in the role of Demogorgon. She is Null-A, outside the loop, the absence created by creation. That's my take on her....

tleilaxu said:
...Perhaps even 4 templates: white, grey, brown and blue. I think this is the best way to deal with the Gandalf/Olorin issue as well as the change from the grey to white.

That is an extremely elegant solution.

tleilaxu said:
but i think ungoliant is meant to be something else. Consider her in the role of Demogorgon. She is Null-A, outside the loop, the absence created by creation. That's my take on her....

I've argued as much myself in the past - the Miltonic Demogorgon, or maybe Nox.

tleilaxu

First Post
gotta go to a movie, but one thing i forgot! There should also be a technicolor template for Saruman the White -> Many Colored.

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Site updated, scoop away!

Announcing the Middle Earth D20 Best Original Character Contest!

In the interest of promoting the creation of new and original content for the site, we're looking for your best Middle Earth characters. Winner to receive a copy of the Fellowship of the Ring DVD!

Jeff Black updated his conversion document, sent a few more generics (Knight of Dol Amroth, Hill Troll), updated Aragon's pre-war stats, and gave us a new version of Galadriel. Whew! In other news we have a group interested in translating the site materials into Italian (www.rpgcommunity.com).

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Middle Earth D20 Best Original Character Contest Details

More than a year ago members of the EN World community began discussing a Dungeons and Dragons 3E conversion of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth. These discussions led to the creation of many game conversion documents and the hosting of the Middle Earth D20 website by EN World. Now, in the interest of promoting the creation of new and original content for the site, we are proud to announce the Middle Earth D20 Best Original Character Contest.

Please design an original character (villainous or heroic, mundane or epic, PC or NPC) suitable for campaign set in Middle Earth. Provide enough detail about the character (including stats, personality, background, and hooks) so that a DM can incorporate them into their existing campaign. Submit your character in text or html format to MiddleEarthD20@yahoo.com with subject line “MED20 Character Contest” by October 22nd, 2002.

Entrants are strongly encouraged to use the Dungeons and Dragons core rulebooks (including the Epic Level Handbook). If material is drawn from other sources, please cite the source. Please refrain from using house rules in your submission.

The contest judges are Jeff Black (colonelhardisson@hotmail.com), Derek Poppink (dpoppink@yahoo.com), and Scott Holden-Jones (sholdenj@uwo.ca). They will rate each entry on a scale of one to ten in three categories:

Suitability – Does the character fit in with Middle Earth themes and settings?
Creativity – Is the character interesting and well developed?
Flexibility – Can the character be used in a variety of storylines with few changes?

The results of the contest will be announced November 12th, and the winner will receive a copy of the Fellowship of the Ring DVD (Platinum Series Extended Edition). All submissions will be archived on the Middle Earth D20 website.

Many thanks to Morrus for hosting the website and putting up the prize. Thanks also to the Spelljammer Mailing List for the inspiration.

tleilaxu

First Post
OK, here are a few things

FEAT:Blood of Westernesse
Req: Descended from Numenoreans, must be taken at first level, Wis 13

'He is not as other men of this time, Pippin, and whatever be his descent from father to son, by some chance the blood of Westernesse runs nearly true in him; as it does in his other son, Faramir, and yet did not in Boromir whom he loved best. He has long sight. He can perceive, if he bends his will thither, much of what is passing in the minds of men, even tof those that dwell far off. It is difficult to deceive him, and dangerous to try.

Here was one with an air of high nobility such as Aragorn at times revealed, less high perhaps, yet also less incalculable and remote: one of the Kings of Men born into a later time, but touched with the wisdom and sadness of the Elder Race.

'Ah well, sir,' said Sam, 'you said my mastre had an elvish air; and that was good and true. But i can say this: you have an air too, sir, that reminds me of, of - well, Gandalf, of wizards.'
'Maybe,' said Faramir. 'Maybe you discern from far away the air of Numenor.

Blood of Westernesse is a powerful feat.

Benefits:
+3 Sense Motive
+2 Charisma
+2 Wisdom

tleilaxu

First Post
I am curious if anyone has a list of who the Nazgul were when they were alive. I'm thinking of (for the contest), stating one of them when they were lords of men and then applying a Nazgul template to him (kindof like how the vampire template works). Any pointers would be appreciated!

tleilaxu

First Post
Regarding my provisional scale. I came up with it based on the assumption that Aragorn is 15th level. Maybe that is incorrect. Perhaps he should be 20th. After all, in the LotR appendix it says he became the hardiest of all the men in the world then alive.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what level people are but they should be relatively correct to each other. For example, if Aragorn is 15th level than Frodo should be 5th. If Aragorn is 5th level frodo should be 2nd.

I suggest we pick a character (say Aragorn, or Bilbo) and base the levels of everyone else from that. Any suggestions?

My current thinking is that Aragorn should be about 18th level...

tleilaxu

First Post
Just so everyone knows, I have emailed the details of the contest to both tolkienonline.com and theonering.net

i hope i have not done ill.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases