A new Middle Earth d20 thread

If you feel the Ainur are not above Demigod status (personally, I feel they are at least Lesser or Intermediate, with the Maiar being of Demigod status, but hey, that's just me

I must admit, with a little tweaking, I've come around to this view as well. I'm tinkering with Meta-Epic Level ME stuff at the moment: Sauron, The One Ring, Eonwe, Melkor et al. I will detail the Self Incarnation salient divine ability in a later post.

But First:

Balrog
Maia
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Domains: Evil, Darkness, Fire

Blackguard 10 / Sorcerer 10
Large Ainu
Divine Rank: 2

Hit Dice:
20d8+200 (Ainu) plus 10d10+100 (Blk) plus 10d4+100 (Sor) (700 hp)
Initiative: +11 (+7 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 100 ft; fly 280 ft (average)
AC: 42 (+7 Dex,, +2 Divine, +15 Natural, +9 Deflection, -1 Size)
Attacks: Large +4 Unholy Flaming Burst Longsword +49/+44/+39/+34 melee and Medium-size +2 Flaming Whip +46 melee; by clutch +44/+39/+34/+29 melee; or by spell +44 melee touch or +39 ranged touch.
Damage: Large +4 Unholy Flaming Burst Longsword 1d12+17 plus 1d6 fire (17-20/x2) and Medium-size +2 Flaming Whip 1d3 +15 ¶ plus 1d6 fire; clutch 1d6 +13 melee; or by spell.
Face/Reach: 5ft. by 5ft./10ft (whip, 40ft.).
Special Attacks: Domain powers, salient divine abilities, spell-like abilities, spells.
Special Qualities: Divine immunities, DR 37/+4, fire immunity, SR 36, speak and read all languages, divine aura (20 ft. DC20).
Saves: Fort +42 Ref +39 Will +41
Abilities: Str 36 Dex 24 Con 31 Int 25 Wis 24 Cha 27

Skills: Bluff +30, Concentration +42, Diplomacy +30, Escape Artist +29, Gather Information +30, Hide +29, Intimidate +50, Intuit Direction +29, Innuendo +30, Jump +35, Knowledge (Arcana) +39, Knowledge (Geography) +29, Knowledge (History) +39, Listen +29, Scry +39, Search +29, Sense Motive +39, Spellcraft +39, Spot +29.

Feats: Blind Fight, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Leadership, Ambidexterity, Improved Trip, Two-Weapon Fighting Power Attack, Cleave, Weapon Focus (Large Longsword), Improved Critical (Large Longsword), Sunder

Epic Feats: Overwhelming Critical (Large Longsword), Dire Charge, Great Smiting

Divine Immunities: Ability damage, ability drain, acid, cold, death effects, disease, disintegration, electricity, energy drain, mind-affecting effects, paralysis, poison, sleep, stunning, transmutation, imprisonment, banishment.

Salient Divine Abilities: Frightful Presence, Divine Fire Mastery, Flame of Udûn (see below).

Spell-Like Abilities: A Balrog can use these abilities at will as a 12th level caster, except for evil spells which it uses as a 13th level caster: Armor of Darkness, Blacklight, Blasphemy, Blindness/Deafness, Burning Hands, Darkbolt, Desecrate, Dispel Good, Fire Shield, Fire Seeds, Fire Storm, Incendiary Cloud, Magic Circle against Good, Nightmare, Obscuring Mist, Power Word Blind, Power Word Kill, Produce Flame, Protection from Good, Prying Eyes, Resist Elements, Unholy Aura, Unholy Blight, Wall of Fire. The Save DCs are 20+ spell level.

Blackguard Spells/Day: 4/4/4/2; base DC 19+ spell level

Sorcerer Spells Known: (Levels 0-5; 6/8/8/8/6/4); base DC 20 + spell level

0 Level: Detect Poison, Daze, Flare, Ghost Sound, Disrupt Undead, Mending, Arcane Mark, Detect Magic., Read Magic.

1st Level: Cause Fear, Ray of Enfeeblement, Hypnotism, True Strike, Obscuring Mist

2nd Level: Detect Thoughts, Shatter, See Invisibility, Darkness

3rd Level: Dispel Magic, Nondetection, Stinking Cloud

4th Level: Lesser Geas, Fear

5th Level: Dominate Person

Flame of Udûn (unique Salient Divine Ability): A Balrog may self-immolate at will as a free action, exuding terrific heat. Creatures within 10 feet automatically sustain 20 points of damage and 20 points of unholy damage unless they succeed in Fortitude saving throws (DC 20). Each round that they remain within 10 feet, they must make the save again. A successful saving throw halves both the fire and unholy damage. Immersion in water quenches the Flame of Udûn, and negates both the fire and unholy damage.

A Balrog may use its whip to entangle and draw enemies towards it, in the same manner as a Balor (MM, p.47.)

Possessions: Each Balrog carries a Large +4 Unholy Flaming Burst Longsword and a +2 Flaming Whip.

Commentary and Explanation

This might be viewed as a rather radical interpretation of the Balrog, but I’ll try to justify it. I don’t expect to end the ongoing debate as to how the Balrog should be represented in D&D terms, but rather add a fresh perspective to the argument.

1. Maia

The underlying assumption is that all Ainur (i.e., the Valar and Maiar) are entities with Divine Rank, and that the Maiar, typically, have rank 1 to 5: equivalent to “Demigods” in D&D parlance. As a race, they were capable of incarnating at will in physical bodies, although those who turned to evil (the Balrogs, Sauron, possibly others) deprived themselves of this ability. It should be assumed that all noncorrupted Maiar (Olórin, Ëonwë etc.), who are naturally incorporeal, possess the Salient Divine Ability of Self-Incarnation (detailed hereafter). Corrupted Maiar (such as Balrogs) are a special case, in that they are confined to the form that they have chosen, or been twisted into.
With the Valar came other spirits whose being also began before the world, of the same order as the Valar but of less degree…for though it is otherwise in Aman, in Middle-Earth the Maiar have seldom appeared in form visible to Elves and Men.
Silmarillion, p..30.
We must assume that they [the Istari] were all Maiar, that is persons of the "angelic" order, though not necessarily of the same rank. The Maiar were "spirits," but capable of self-incarnation, and could take "humane" (especially Elvish) forms.
Unfinished Tales, p.412.

2. Neutral Evil

Many of the Maiar were corrupted by Melkor:
Dreadful among these spirits were the Valaraukar, the scourges of fire that in Middle-Earth were called the Balrogs, demons of terror.
Silmarillion, p..31.

As the Law/Chaos axis is far less important in Tolkien’s world, NE seems like the most obvious choice.

3. Domains: Evil, Darkness, Fire

This triple combination seems ideally suited to the Balrogs. The Balrogs were, like Arien - the Maia who guides the sun - ‘sprits of fire,’ although this is tangentally addressed. From this passage, we have an idea of what the ‘original nature’ of the Maiar who were to become the Balrogs was:
[Arien was]…from the beginning, a spirit of fire, whom Melkor had not deceived nor drawn to his service. Too bright were the eyes of Arien for even the Eldar to look on, and leaving Valinor, she forsook the form and rainment which like the Valar she had worn there, and she was as a naked flame, terrible in the fullness of her splendour.
Silmarillion, p..100.

One of the motifs which runs through the Silmarillion is that Melkor is incapable of original creation, he may only pervert and corrupt. His inability to find and master the ‘Flame Imperishable’ – the creative fire which Illuvatar alone possesses - resonates with the fire of the Balrogs, created by Eru and seduced by Melkor. Gandalf’s exchange with the Balrog on the Bridge of Khazad-dûm:
I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.
Lord of the Rings, p.344.

Note that ‘Anor’ is the sun, but also the implication is that Gandalf serves the Flame Imperishable: i.e. Eru, or Eru’s purpose. ‘Udûn’ is the name of a vale in northern Mordor, but is also cognate with ‘Utumno’ – Melkor’s original dwelling in Arda – and might be broadly interpreted as ‘Hell’ or perhaps even ‘Melkor’s Spirit.’ In any case, it’s evil.

Note that no portfolio is included, nor any details about worshippers – neither the Valar nor the Maiar are deities in the conventional sense, and they cannot grant spells.

4. Blackguard-Sorcerer

Given the range of its abilities, this combination would seem to work well for a Balrog. In Fellowship, the Balrog counterspells Gandalf’s attempt to seal the door in Moria – suggesting some arcane ability. Blackguard levels give it access to a limited selection of evil Divine spells, as well as the following class features: Dark Blessing, Detect Good, Smite Good, Sneak Attack, Command Undead, Aura of Despair.

5. Ainu, Divine Rank 2, and Complications

Like most conventional deities, Ainur are considered to have 20 Hit Dice before those attributed to class levels are added. The 20HD is not considered to be an ‘Outsider’ base – note that, technically, there are no outsiders in Arda. The standard divine array for ability scores (35,28,25,24,24,24) was used, obviously modified for divine rank and class level progression. The vast majority of abilities associated with deities can be extended to Ainur, although the following (largely those concerned with a deity’s portfolio) seem inconsistent with the Middle-Earth paradigm and need to be modified:

Teleport Without Error, Plane Shift, Remote Sensing, Block Sensing, Portfolio Sense, Create Magic Items and Godly Realm do not apply, although Salient Divine Abilities might be used to model remote communication, remote sensing (such as Manwë’s acute sight), and item creation (Angainor, The One Ring, Grond etc.).

Divine Aura and Senses are retained.

Whilst they cannot grant spells, Ainur do gain access to domain spell-like abilities at will. Also, spontaneous Divine spellcasting should be retained.

If the Maiar are assumed to run the range from Divine Rank 1 through 5, a Divine Rank of 2 might be seen as a conservative estimate of a Balrog’s power. There is no reason why it should not be extended, with perhaps 4 (Gothmog, High Captain of Angband) being the upper limit.

Comments?

Greg Davis

First Post
Well, I for one will admit to being greatly impressed with the write-ups offered by Sepulchrave II. Nicely done, well researched and well written. I commend you!

Greg

Last edited:

Can't resist. One more...

Ëonwë

Maia
Alignment: Lawful Good
Domains: Good, Glory, War

Fighter 30 / Paladin 30
Medium-size Ainu
Divine Rank: 5

Hit Dice:
20d8+260 (Ainu) plus 30d10+390 (Ftr) plus 30d10+390 (Pal) (1800 hp)
Initiative: +15 (+7 Dex, +8 Superior Initiative)
Speed: 120 ft.
AC: 72 (+7 Dex, +5 Divine, +22 Natural, +8 Deflection, +13 Armour, +7 Shield)
Attacks: +5 Defending Holy Power Ghost Touch Keen Longsword +84/+79/+74/+69 melee; or by spell +72 melee touch or +64 ranged touch.
Damage: +5 Defending Holy Power Ghost Touch Keen Longsword 1d8+36 (15-20/x2); or by spell.
Face/Reach: 5ft. by 5ft./5ft
Special Attacks: Domain powers, salient divine abilities, spell-like abilities, spells.
Special Qualities: Divine immunities, DR 40/+4, fire resistance 25, SR 37, speak and read all languages, divine aura (50 ft. DC23).
Saves: Fort +59 Ref +49 Will +56
Abilities: Str 40 Dex 25 Con 36 Int 24 Wis 28 Cha 27

Skills Anumal Empathy +43, Appraise +43, Balance +42, Climb +50, Concentration +38, Diplomacy +77, Escape Artist +42, Gather Information +47, Handle Animal +43, Heal +54, Intuit Direction +44, Jump +60, Knowledge (Blessed Realm) +52, Knowledge (Geography) +52, Knowledge (History) +52, Knowledge (Nature) +32, Listen +34, Perform +37, Profession (Soldier) +52, Ride +52, Scry +32, Search +42, Sense Motive +64, Spot +54, Swim +50, Wilderness Lore +34

Feats: Ambidexterity, Blind Fight, Dodge, Expertise, Mobility, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Leadership, Improved Trip, Two-Weapon Fighting Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Weapon Focus (Longsword), Weapon Specialization (Longsword), Improved Critical (Longsword), Mounted Combat, Trample, Ride-by Attack, Run, Spirited Charge, Sunder, Improved Bull Rush, Quick Draw

Epic Feats: Armour Skin (x2), Blinding Speed, Overwhelming Critical (Longsword), Devastating Critical (Longsword), Superior Initiative, Epic Fortitude, Epic Leadership, Epic Prowess (x2), Epic Reputation, Epic Speed, Epic Weapon Focus (Longsword), Epic Weapon Specialization (Longsword), Epic Will, Great Smiting, Holy Strike, Improved Aura of Courage, Improved Whirlwind Attack, Legendary Commander, Positive Energy Aura, Spectral Strike, Widen Aura of Courage, Penetrate Damage Reduction.

Divine Immunities: Ability damage, ability drain, acid, cold, death effects, disease, disintegration, electricity, energy drain, mind-affecting effects, paralysis, poison, sleep, stunning, transmutation, imprisonment, banishment.

Salient Divine Abilities: Self-Incarnation, Divine Armour Mastery, Divine Paladin, Divine Weapon Mastery, Divine Weapon Focus (Longsword), Divine Weapon Specialization (Longsword).

Domain Powers: Cast good spells at +1 caster level; turn undead with a +2 bonus on the turning check and +1d6 to the turning damage roll.

Spell-Like Abilities: Ëonwë uses these abilities as a 15th level caster, except Good spells which uses as a 16th level caster: Aid, Bless Weapon, Bolt of Glory, Crown of Glory, Dispel Evil, Disrupt Undead, Divine Power, Flame Strike, Holy Aura, Holy Smite, Holy Sword, Holy Word, Magic Circle against Evil, Magic Vestment, Magic Weapon, Power Word Stun, Power Word Blind, Power Word Kill, Protection from Evil, Searing Light, Spiritual Weapon, Sunbeam. The Save DCs are 23+ spell level.

Paladin Spells/Day: 5/5/5/4; base DC 18+ spell level

Possessions: Ëonwë carries a +5 Defending Holy Power Ghost Touch Longsword, wears +5 Mithril Full Plate of Heavy Fortification and bears a +5 Large Mithril Shield of Blinding.

Some relevant passages:
[Ëonwë was]…the banner bearer and herald of Manwë, whose might in arms is surpassed by none in Arda.
Silmarillion, p.30.

But at last the might of Valinor came up out of the West, and the challenge of the trumpets of Ëonwë filled the sky; and Beleriand was ablaze with the glory of their arms, for the host of the Valar were arrayed in forms young and fair and terrible, and the mountains rang beneath their feet.
Silmarillion, p.251.

Last edited:

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Awesome stuff

Hey Sepulchrave,

You had better submit these to the ME site, or the Colonel and I will never forgive you. Let one of us know when you think they are ready.

For everyone's information, the site will get an update today. The Colonel's conversion of Saruman the Many-Colored, Andy Simpson's thoughts on a Middle Earth campaign, and Takeda Mataroshi's take on orcs and goblins. I'm also going to update the links page with links to all the recent EN World Middle Earth threads (Aragorn's battle on Weathertop, Boromir's last battle, LOTR RPG thoughts, Roleplaying in Middle Earth).

I haven't contributed any content since my ME campaign ended in May, but I'm throwing around some ideas. Someone once contributed an article to the old boards about the power of the voice in Middle Earth (evidenced when Frodo cries "Elbereth" or anyone else cries out the name of their homeland or ancestors). I don't remember all the times it happens, but even evil creatures seem to grow stronger in these situations (similar to a bard inspiring their allies). Does anyone have a copy of this article around (I think it was written by Orcus)?

I was thinking of creating three feats, and these are the rough thoughts. Comments welcome.

Shout of the Homelands
prereq: History (local) +4
effect: inspire allies, bless?

Shout of the Ancestors
prereq: History (local) +8
effect: cause fear, aid?

Shout of the Valar
prereq: History (Valar) +4, must be good aligned
effect: protection from evil, divine favor?

For each of these, I need to choose a single ability and limit the number of uses per day. The uses could either be level-based (like Heroic Surge from WOT) or based on an ability score modifier (like Rage). I'm tempted to use Cha as the relevant ability.

Later,
Derek

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I think Sepulchrave's been doing a hell of a job.

Regarding the power of the voice - most of the instances that I can think of are used by characters that have some magical item or ability (in D&D terms). Even Frodo - he bore the One Ring, and the Ring enhanced whatever power one had. Not that Frodo could use magic; I rationalize that the Ring enhanced his personal magnetism enough to give the name Elbereth real power when he said it. I guess the main point is that when it seems like words or voices are shown to have power, that it might be more a result of who is speaking than the words themselves. Plus, magic and song are intertwined in Middle Earth - they are essentially the same thing. When songs seem to have an effect, I'd say we're seeing magic spells in use by spellcasters.

That said, though, I like the idea of the feats Derek presents. I think they should have tougher prerequisites and be less powerful, so that they don't come close to equalling the power of a true spellcaster, though. That's just my thought on it.

Last edited:

Greg Davis

First Post
Perhaps, if you're going to introduce a feat which creates an effect when invoking a "Name of Power", such as Elbereth, some sort of circumstance or enhancement bonus to Charisma (and/or, subsequently, a bonus to Intimidate, Diplomacy, or some other Charisma-based skill) might be in order.

Just a thought...

Greg

Takeda

First Post
How about:

Call to Arms
Benefit: Once a day/4 levels the possessor of this feat can make a Call to Arms by calling out the name of an inspirational person (King or Queen, Religious leader, Divine Entity, Military Leader, etc.), homeland or military unit. Thereafter all allies with the same affiliation within 15’ radius who hear this Call to Arms get a +1 Morale bonus to Attack rolls and Will checks for (Charisma Modifier of the Caller to Arms +3) rounds.
Note: thus 1-4th level 1/day; 5-8th level 2/day; 9-12th level 3/day; 13-16th level 4/day, 17th-20th level 5/day.

I'll try not to clog the thread up too much, but I've one or two more.

Possibly the easiest of the Valar to speculate upon, as he represents a familiar, Herculean archetype. Sun might be a possible alternative to War as the 3rd domain – although there is no literary solar significance, the symbolism seems somehow appropriate.

Tulkas

Vala
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Domains: Good, Strength, War

Barbarian 20 / Fighter 20
Medium-size Ainu
Divine Rank: 11

Hit Dice:
20d8+260 (Ainu) plus 20d10+260 (Bbn) plus 20d10+260 (Ftr) (1340 hp)
Initiative: +17 (+9 Dex, +8 Superior Initiative)
Speed: 120 ft.
AC: 65 (+9 Dex, +11 Divine, +28 Natural, +7 Deflection)
Attacks: Unarmed Strike +72/+67/+62/+57 melee; or by spell +72 melee touch or +62 ranged touch.
Damage: Unarmed Strike 1d3+32 (x2); or by spell.
Face/Reach: 5ft. by 5ft./5ft
Special Qualities: Divine immunities, DR 57/+5 (4/-), fast healing 40, fire resistance 31, SR 63, speak and read all languages, divine aura (1100 ft. DC28).
Saves: Fort +63 Ref +54 Will +46
Abilities: Str 52 Dex 29 Con 38 Int 21 Wis 16 Cha 24

Skills: Animal Empathy +48, Balance +70, Climb +92, Escape Artist +50, Handle Animal +58, Intimidate +58, Intuit Direction +34, Jump +92, Listen +44, Sense Motive +32, Spot +44, Swim +82, Tumble +80, Wilderness Lore +44

Feats: Ambidexterity, Dodge, Combat Reflexes, Expertise, Mobility, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Improved Unarmed Strike, Great Fortitude, Spring Attack, Improved Grapple, Improved Bull Rush, Knock-Down, Track, Sunder, Improved Sunder, Lightning Reflexes, Run

Epic Feats: Armour Skin (x2), Blinding Speed, Superior Initiative, Epic Fortitude, Epic Speed, Epic Endurance, Legendary Wrestler, Mighty Rage, Incite Rage, Ruinous Rage, Terrifying Rage.

Salient Divine Abilities: Self-Incarnation, Annihilating Strike, Battlesense, Divine Blessing (Str), Divine Celerity, Divine Fast Healing (x2), Divine Rage, Free Move, Increased Damage Reduction, Increased Spell Resistance, Indomitable Strength, Irresistable Blows (Unarmed Attack), Sunder and Disjoin.

Domain Powers: Cast good spells at +1 caster level; 11/day feat of strength (+11 enhancement bonus to Str for 1 round).

Spell-Like Abilities: Tulkas uses these abilities as a 21st level caster, except Good spells which uses as a 22nd level caster: Aid, Bull’s Strength, Dispel Evil, Divine Power, Endure Elements, Flame Strike, Holy Aura, Holy Smite, Holy Word, Magic Circle against Evil, Magic Vestment, Magic Weapon, Power Word Stun, Power Word Blind, Power Word Kill, Protection from Evil, Righteous Might, Spell Immunity, Spiritual Weapon, Stoneskin. The Save DCs are 28+ spell level.

Some relevant passages:
But in the midst of the war a spirit of great strength and hardihood came to the aid of the Valar, hearing in the far heaven that there was battle in the little Kingdom; and Arda was filled with the sound of his laughter. So came Tulkas the Strong, whose anger passes like a mighty wind, scattering clouds and darkness before it.
Silmarillion, p.35

Greatest in strength and deeds of prowess is Tulkas, who is surnamed Astaldo, the Valiant. He came last to Arda, to aid the Valar in the first battles with Melkor. He delights in wrestling and in contests of strength; and he rides no steed, for he can outrun all things that go on feet, and he is tireless. His hair and beard are golden, and his flesh ruddy; his weapons are his hands, He has little heed for either the past or the future, and is of no avail as a counsellor, but is a hardy friend….Tulkas laughs ever, in sport or in war, and even in the face of Melkor he laughed in battles before the Elves were born.
Silmarillion, pp.28-29

…and Melkor took refuge in the uttermost pit. Then Tulkas stood forth as champion of the Valar and wrestled with him, and cast him upon his face; and he was bound with the chain Angainor that Aulë had wrought; and the world had peace for a long age.
Silmarillion, p.51

And, indicative of his character:
And Tulkas was as one caught in a black net at night, and he stood powerless and beat the air in vain.
Silmarillion, p.77

[Edited to include missing SDAs. Much happier now.]

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The 2e Celts Campaign Sourcebook, one of the Historical Reference series, had what they called Heroic Feats. Most translate into 3e feats pretty well, like this one:

Warrior's Scream

The warrior's scream is a terrifying battle cry that strikes fear into the hearts of one's enemies. A character may utter the warrior's scream only on the first round of combat with a particular opponent, and gives up his first attack of that round in order to do so.
This feat requires a Constitution check to use. If the check is successful, the effects of the scream are those of the prayer spell, but only on the character who uttered the scream and his current opponent. Opponents must roll a successful Fortitude save, DC 10+screamer's level, to negate the effects of the scream; this save may be rolled at the start of each round until it is successful.

Last edited:

Remove ads