The Factotum class

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
Most abilities have a refresh of per encounter except the "add factotum class to skill" and "add Int to Str/Dex checks". The former is once per day (but costs an inspiration point), the latter is all day.
Well, I admit that proves they are smarter than I thought when I heard there was a +skill ability. A per-encounter +skill ability would be gamebreakingly stupid. "Oh look, that door was trapped. Let me use my per encounter +skill ability on Disable Device for this encounter with the trap" :lol:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
Well, I admit that proves they are smarter than I thought when I heard there was a +skill ability. A per-encounter +skill ability would be gamebreakingly stupid. "Oh look, that door was trapped. Let me use my per encounter +skill ability on Disable Device for this encounter with the trap" :lol:
And, I'll point out that the 'add level to skill' ability only works with skills that you have at least 1 rank in, not any skill. Its what forces factotums to spend a lot of little skill points everywhere in games where Jack of all Trades isn't house ruled.

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
And, I'll point out that the 'add level to skill' ability only works with skills that you have at least 1 rank in, not any skill. Its what forces factotums to spend a lot of little skill points everywhere in games where Jack of all Trades isn't house ruled.
Well, without houserules, Jack of All Trades 3.5 version actually doesn't have any effect on your character except to jumpstart your purchase of cross-class skills by reducing their first rank's price by 1 skill point since you now have a half rank. It does not actually let you use those skills as intended.

Besides, while adding level to skill to pretend you've maxed out a skill you didn't bother to take beyond 1 rank is an effective way to be thrifty, the real danger is adding level to a maxed out skill and (at high levels when the +3 ranks at level 1 become less significant) essentially doubling your ranks. This makes many of the epic skill uses a cakewalk for a mid-to-high level Factotum, and by virtue of their presence in the SRD, I believe we are by default allowing them.

Of course, it's quite possible that the skill checks aren't really the main thing about which to be concerned--I can only comment on what I see. I'll try to get my Dungeonscape from my little brother eventually. I never had a chance to read it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases