d20 Modern: What Would you change part II

beverson

First Post
Vigilance said:
So, as it stands right now, armor requires no skills or feats to use.

I never understood heavy armor sucking three feats out of the game's "economy" and always considered it a holdover from D&D.

I'm leaning toward armor just having a strength requirement, and costing money.

Thoughts?

I agree. Spending 3 feats for heavy armor always seemed like a waste to me.

Father of Dragons

First Post
Vigilance said:
So, as it stands right now, armor requires no skills or feats to use.

I never understood heavy armor sucking three feats out of the game's "economy" and always considered it a holdover from D&D.

I'm leaning toward armor just having a strength requirement, and costing money.

Thoughts?
Hm. This looks to be a bit of a turn around from when we discussed this issue in May on the True20 boards (in the armor & encumubrance thread). :)

There, you said:
rpgobject_chuck said:
So if you want everyone to wear at least some armor, sure, make it free.

But again, why? It would be just like a campaign where you gave everyone a free supernatural power. Sure you could. It would just lead to an odd sort of campaign.
Unless, of course, I misunderstood you.

Vigilance

Explorer
Father of Dragons said:
Hm. This looks to be a bit of a turn around from when we discussed this issue in May on the True20 boards (in the armor & encumubrance thread). :)

There, you said:Unless, of course, I misunderstood you.

I don't I'm saying "you should definitely require feats for armor" there.

I'm mostly just saying that if you're going to change something: A) you should have a reason and B) you should realize that just changing one thing can make other things go wonky and C) expect wearing heavier armor to be something everyone does.

Also, d20 Modern and True 20 were different games, last I checked.

Spending 2 feats in a game where your character gets 23 (True 20) *IS* less onerous to me than spending 3 feats in a game where your character might get 12 (d20 Modern). But in that thread, I was talking about True 20.

In this case, I had already gotten rid of: weapon proficiency feats (folded into the firearms skill and the weapons skill) and Vehicle Operation feats (folded into the Vehicles skill).

In that environment, requiring a feat for armor doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't fit. It feels like the type of feat I've done away with and tied to skill elsewhere.

In such a case, I felt like I had three basic choices: leave it a feat, find a skill to tie it to or create a new skill just for armor.

Since I'm re-examining everything, I also just decided to ask myself if there needed to be any mechanical expenditure (eg spending character resources like skills or feats) for armor AT ALL.

I'm still undecided too. Though I'm against a feat. I might tie it to the Athletics skill, through a perk.

I know, I haven't talked about perks much yet. Perks are something you gain from Occupations in 2.0 that modify how your existing skills work.

FraserRonald

Explorer
I think armor should still have a feat, but maybe a single one for medium and heavy armor and light armor is free. Even individuals trained in combat are hampered by body armor (not talking the kind of vests that are covered under light armor), until they get used to it or are trained in it. To me, this maps directly to a feat--unless you want to roll an armor skill check every time you want to do something that inflicts (or should inflict) a penalty for encumbrance or armor. So, I think I would go with a single "Armor" feat, and allow characters to use light armor for free.

Vigilance

Explorer
EditorBFG said:
This looks like a great class, and I really like the core ability.

But I still have to wonder-- is there any possible ay Reputation guy, or even saves guy, will be this attractive to players at 1st level?

Well- the Empath has the same attack bonus and defense bonus as the Tank, with better saves.

The Star's Reputation provides contacts as well as followers (everyone's Reputation does, but the Star will have more of that than anyone else).

Both classes also have more skill points than the tank, though less than the Brainiac.

I'd say the core abilities of all 6 classes are equally useful: each provides a benefit all the time, and then an even better benefit if you spend an action point.

So, from where I'm standing right now, I *think* all the classes will be equally attractive at all levels.

Vigilance

Explorer
FraserRonald said:
I think armor should still have a feat, but maybe a single one for medium and heavy armor and light armor is free. Even individuals trained in combat are hampered by body armor (not talking the kind of vests that are covered under light armor), until they get used to it or are trained in it. To me, this maps directly to a feat--unless you want to roll an armor skill check every time you want to do something that inflicts (or should inflict) a penalty for encumbrance or armor. So, I think I would go with a single "Armor" feat, and allow characters to use light armor for free.

Hm... ok, you guys convinced me. A feat it is.

Salcor

First Post
Vigilance,
I applaud your efforts to improve D20 Modern. I love the system and would like to see some edits. For the sounds of it you are making it very occupationally based. I wonder if you have ever looked at Mechwarrior 3rd edition (classic mechwarrior). This game was outstanding in that your character's history is what dictated skills. So your character could start out on the farm as a child, attend high school then join the military. And each level occupation had a requirement for attributes and skill levels to enter. Could get a little complex for older characters, but it was a great system.

Salcor

Vigilance

Explorer
Salcor said:
Vigilance,
I applaud your efforts to improve D20 Modern. I love the system and would like to see some edits. For the sounds of it you are making it very occupationally based. I wonder if you have ever looked at Mechwarrior 3rd edition (classic mechwarrior). This game was outstanding in that your character's history is what dictated skills. So your character could start out on the farm as a child, attend high school then join the military. And each level occupation had a requirement for attributes and skill levels to enter. Could get a little complex for older characters, but it was a great system.

Salcor

I've never played mechwarrior, but I have played games with lifepath style character generation. Is that the sort of thing you're talking about?

Salcor

First Post
Yeah pretty much. It seems like for a modern game that is probably the most accurate way of depicting skills, feats, talents, etc. It almost seems like for this system you might be reverting to the CoC D20 way of doing it. Perhaps your occupations and life path identify what you class skills are, and then your 'class' identifies your BAB, Saves, HPs, etc.

On another subject I was looking at your blog about adding the combat skills (firearms, weapons, unarmed). Now you said that you are viewing those not as a skill based combat system but to identify what weapons a character can use. So would it be that for a character to use a handgun they need firearms rank 1, and to used autofire they need firearms rank4. Also how does that apply for unarmed combat, does unarmed rank 1 = nonlethal punching at 1d4, and unarmed rank 6 = combat martial arts with 1d4 lethal damage?

salcor

Remove ads