Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boddynock

First Post
OK, I'll ask the question which got lost in the last thread.

Is it reasonable for someone with a Craftsman's job to receive half Craft Points per week while on adventure, if there's an NPC running the shop?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Boddynock said:
OK, I'll ask the question which got lost in the last thread.

Is it reasonable for someone with a Craftsman's job to receive half Craft Points per week while on adventure, if there's an NPC running the shop?
I definitely don't think the PC should get arbitrary Craft Points while away (yeah, my NPC was working on mundane crafting, so now I get more magic items), but if the PC is willing to set aside funding ahead of time and specify a specific item the NPC was making, I would let the NPC accrue the CP for that item only at the usual half normal rate.

Deus Ex Machina

First Post
That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Ostensibly, the PC is able to improve their business when away, but not themself - they are already busy honing their own skills adventuring.

Should a new 'Proposal' thread be made for either the Gaming Hall and Arena ideas. Is that the right place to discuss them?

Erekose13

Explorer
Personally I've stayed out of any questions concerning the Job System because I don't like the concept. As I understand it, it is designed to give PCs something to do during the downtime to make a little cash (or XP or CP). I don't understand why we give any benefits during an adventure at all. If it were to come down to it, I'd vote against at the very least XP and CP while out on adventure.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
Personally I've stayed out of any questions concerning the Job System because I don't like the concept. As I understand it, it is designed to give PCs something to do during the downtime to make a little cash (or XP or CP). I don't understand why we give any benefits during an adventure at all. If it were to come down to it, I'd vote against at the very least XP and CP while out on adventure.
I have to admit I don't much like it either except for the simple Profession/Craft version. But while you've been staying away, I've been jumping in to try to make sure it doesn't get out of hand to the point that PCs are being punished greatly for not using it.

Velmont

First Post
I don't think there should be any CP gained while in adventure. I see these CP gain between adevnture as time you take advantage at your forge to produce things for yourslef, but you don't have that time while in adventure, you simply got what your leveling gives you.

For XP, you have already what you gain from teh adventure, and you learn nothing related to your job while away, so that make no senses... I'm not evne sure why there is an XP gain while doing the job, I've never counted it myself.

Boddynock

First Post
Yeah, I'm happy enough not to have the CP accrue to the PC while on an adventure. I just wanted a clear call on it.

I do like Bront's idea of the NPC accruing half CP for a pre-determined (and prepaid) project. Now all I need to do is get some cash for Tarag to set aside for the task! :lol:

Of course, if we were to go this way, we'd have to work out details. As I understand it at the moment ... If Tarag wants a suit of MW full plate, and sets aside the 600 gp necessary to craft that item, then goes on an adventure which lasts for a month, the NPC who is running the shop accrues CP at half the rate Tarag would if he were actually at the Forge. Then those CP can be put toward the crafting of that item, and only that item, when Tarag returns.

To plug in some real numbers ... Tarag receives 4 CP a week on the job (4 ranks in Craft(Weapons)), so Hardin (the NPC) receives 2 CP a week. Tarag's away for 4 weeks, so Hardin accrues 8 CP which are flagged as being for the MW full plate. Then, when Tarag gets back and actually crafts the armour, he only has to find (1800/10 - 8) = 172 CP.

Of course, it does raise the question of why he doesn't just craft the armour before he leaves! Still, given that CP rapidly become a limiting factor for any character who's going to be doing much crafting, every little bit helps! And if the adventure goes for 6 months instead of 1, then we're looking at a saving of 52 CP, rather than 8, which is significant.

I suppose it would be best if the judges voted on this.

And the thought's just occurred to me - has or will anyone update the Rules thread to reflect previous deliberations on the application of a dwarf's racial bonus in calculating income under the Job System? Seems a shame to waste the work if we don't.

'N

Boddynock

First Post
Oops, sorry RA!!! Grovel, grovel. :eek:

That'll teach me to comment on the run.

Yours, of course, is the magnificent intellect behind such a masterful scheme. None but a fool could have mistaken such creativity for the work of anyone but the great and glorious Rystil Arden.

(How am I doing? :heh: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases