Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erekose13

Explorer
Tenebrynn always has projects of his own that he can ear mark those extra 50% of CPs to.

Though regarding cornering, does anyone else have Craft Magical Arms & Armor? I didn't think so. Craft Wonderous Item is fairly popular though and I know of at least one crafter that has Craft Universal Item (my other character Eternity).

Creamsteak

Explorer
Very cool to see people making stuff. :p

Have craft points been a good thing or a bad thing for the system? I know I somewhat forced them through (with some typos and such in the original drafts) but it was definitely something that was heavily debated.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Tenebrynn technically has to pay half of the Craft points himself, so if he hopes to give you the full discount, that means he'll need to earmark a separate crafting project on which he uses your other 200, but otherwise, you're all set.

And while I think he doesn't have it cornered, per se, he is certainly the cheapest in town. Certainly Tenebrynn's prices are much lower than the only other PC crafter prices I've seen so far in LEW (Almayce).
So we either have to agree on something else to have done (now or in the future). But then I wouldn't be able to get the discount then since we'd still hit the limit of Tenebrynn only using half the CPs. Probably just easier for me to pay the 1710 GP and 200 CP for the items now so we don't have an IOU to keep track of till who knows when we are both in town together again. If that's okay by Erekose13, we'll call it done.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
Tenebrynn always has projects of his own that he can ear mark those extra 50% of CPs to.

Though regarding cornering, does anyone else have Craft Magical Arms & Armor? I didn't think so. Craft Wonderous Item is fairly popular though and I know of at least one crafter that has Craft Universal Item (my other character Eternity).
I know he's making some things, but I just want to make sure that we check it out, especially considering that he's gotten quite the volume of requests--just make sure to check (and I'd actually keep a record of which goes to which) to make sure that he's not making more than 50% of things for others.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Eek! Posting so quick I can't keep up.

So which way would you prefer? 1610 and 400 CP from me, or 1710 and 200 CP? If it doesn't have to be an IOU between our characters then I'm okay going either way.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Phoenix8008 said:
So we either have to agree on something else to have done (now or in the future). But then I wouldn't be able to get the discount then since we'd still hit the limit of Tenebrynn only using half the CPs. Probably just easier for me to pay the 1710 GP and 200 CP for the items now so we don't have an IOU to keep track of till who knows when we are both in town together again. If that's okay by Erekose13, we'll call it done.
Nah, Tenebrynn is making stuff like right now (I think an armour enhancement for himself?). He'll use your help for that.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Creamsteak said:
Very cool to see people making stuff. :p

Have craft points been a good thing or a bad thing for the system? I know I somewhat forced them through (with some typos and such in the original drafts) but it was definitely something that was heavily debated.
Craft points as initially stated were unwieldy and somewhat problematic, but solid in concept. We went through multiple edits, and the major issue was that some people didn't realise that CP were not meant to replace crafting during an adventure for free if you have time--they supplement it. Without that clarification, CP were an eventual death sentence for the craft feats, since you would be guaranteed to eventually never be able to use them again, ever. Once that was clarified correctly, however, it has been running quite smoothly ever since.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Craft points as initially stated were unwieldy and somewhat problematic, but solid in concept. We went through multiple edits, and the major issue was that some people didn't realise that CP were not meant to replace crafting during an adventure for free if you have time--they supplement it. Without that clarification, CP were an eventual death sentence for the craft feats, since you would be guaranteed to eventually never be able to use them again, ever. Once that was clarified correctly, however, it has been running quite smoothly ever since.
I guess not having been here when it was debated, I don't understand the above. From what you've said above in the thread I assume that you can only use CP OUTSIDE of an adventure, but if you're IN an adventure you have to use the regular time rules? Is that correct or do I have it screwed up? Because it seems to me that the whole purpose would be to use them during an adventure when you are short on time while using the regular rules during the timeless period of waiting at the RDI. Please explain, since I've got at least one crafter right now and I'd like to have a firmer grasp on it.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Phoenix8008 said:
I guess not having been here when it was debated, I don't understand the above. From what you've said above in the thread I assume that you can only use CP OUTSIDE of an adventure, but if you're IN an adventure you have to use the regular time rules? Is that correct or do I have it screwed up? Because it seems to me that the whole purpose would be to use them during an adventure when you are short on time while using the regular rules during the timeless period of waiting at the RDI. Please explain, since I've got at least one crafter right now and I'd like to have a firmer grasp on it.
Well, no, you don't quite have it. In an adventure, you are usually short on time. Therefore, if you actually have downtime, it is totally fair to let you craft items--you have "paid" for the item creation time with something potentially valuable and not unlimited--your adventure time. If you don't have downtime in the adventure, you can also get the GM to approve the use of CP to craft in there too.

However, in the RDI, time is infinite and limitless. Thus, there is no price to craft things beyond the XP cost--you're getting the time for free. One way around this is to use RL time, which we do in Living Eberron. The other is to impose a hard limit on the nebulous time you get to use, and that is craft points. Thus, you don't get unlimited out of adventure crafting, so we put some upper bound on what you can do and limit the possible abuses.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Cool! Thanks, Rystil Arden. So use either one while on the adventure, but between adventures use only CP's. Excellent.

As for my transaction with Tenebrynn, it sounds like it's okay to go with the original plan of Phoenix paying 1,610 GP and using 400 CP's which Tenebrynn can use half of for other stuff of his own. (Sweet! More cash to spend on other stuff! Now if only I had my XP so I could send in my character for approval of next level. :()

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases