Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dargon

First Post
I have a question.
when crafting an item you pay one third of the market price but on the Sample Crafted Items table the costs it is listed as costing half of the marketpice.

have i missed something?

By the way, i say stay with 3,5

Boddynock

First Post
Dargon said:
I have a question.
when crafting an item you pay one third of the market price but on the Sample Crafted Items table the costs it is listed as costing half of the marketpice.

have i missed something?

By the way, i say stay with 3,5
In this thread, at post 1034, Bront advises me that it's one third market price for mundane articles. It's half the market price for magical items. I guess the entry you quote hasn't been updated. :uhoh:

'Nock

SuddenDawn

First Post
Boddynock said:
In this thread, at post 1034, Bront advises me that it's one third market price for mundane articles. It's half the market price for magical items. I guess the entry you quote hasn't been updated. :uhoh:

'Nock

The table is taken directly from Unearthed Arcana. I believe the rational for having the character use 1/2 the price in materials instead of 1/3 when craft with craft points is that leaving it at 1/3 would be the equivalent of simply giving the character money. Someone without any other use for craft points could simply convert CP to gold at a 3:5 ratio.

Enworld already takes care of out of adventure income through the job system. Allowing someone to to use craft points to craft mundane items at the normal 1/3 material cost would simple introduce additional individual treasure that has not been accounted for or balanced.

As an extreme case, for a mere ilustrastion. a 1st level character starts with 150 craft points. With those points he may craft 1500 gp worth of goods which can be sold at 750 gp. If he pays the normal 1/3 material cost for mundane items, his cost for those goods is 500 gp. Leaving him with 250 gp.

Creamsteak

Explorer
It's been a long long time since I've posted on these boards. I assume only a handful of people still remember me.

I wanted to drop by and say hi.

My input, whether needed or not, is that LEW should stay 3.5 and continue till people stop playing essentially. Let it play out on it's own.

However, I would ALSO suggest starting a new game with similar mechanics (living setting pbp game hosted on the enworld boards, persistant characters) with a lot of the same core ideas as LEW. I would start this before the actual release, preferably with some planning by the judges during these 9 months before the books hit store shelves. Possibly some development of setting and similar decisions (non-crunch stuff), and general rules. Then when the books start coming out (and especially when they give us something like the SRD to access) begin the actual games.

Oh yeah, hi again. I totally feel like this post is some complete stranger jumping in after months, spouting his mouth off, then disappearing back into the shadows.

Boddynock

First Post
SuddenDawn said:
The table is taken directly from Unearthed Arcana. I believe the rational for having the character use 1/2 the price in materials instead of 1/3 when craft with craft points is that leaving it at 1/3 would be the equivalent of simply giving the character money. Someone without any other use for craft points could simply convert CP to gold at a 3:5 ratio.

Enworld already takes care of out of adventure income through the job system. Allowing someone to to use craft points to craft mundane items at the normal 1/3 material cost would simple introduce additional individual treasure that has not been accounted for or balanced.

As an extreme case, for a mere ilustrastion. a 1st level character starts with 150 craft points. With those points he may craft 1500 gp worth of goods which can be sold at 750 gp. If he pays the normal 1/3 material cost for mundane items, his cost for those goods is 500 gp. Leaving him with 250 gp.
See, this has been bugging me! :\

Here's the quote from the SRD re the Craft skill which defines the cost of raw materials:

To determine how much time and money it takes to make an item, follow these steps.

1. Find the item’s price. Put the price in silver pieces (1 gp = 10 sp).
2. Find the DC from the table below.
3. Pay one-third of the item’s price for the cost of raw materials.
4. Make an appropriate Craft check representing one week’s work.

That's why it costs 1/3 of the market price. Bront's comment to me was to advise that this has - at some point - been adopted in LEW.

Knight Otu

First Post
Hi, Creamsteak! :)

Creamsteak said:
It's been a long long time since I've posted on these boards. I assume only a handful of people still remember me.

I wanted to drop by and say hi.

My input, whether needed or not, is that LEW should stay 3.5 and continue till people stop playing essentially. Let it play out on it's own.

However, I would ALSO suggest starting a new game with similar mechanics (living setting pbp game hosted on the enworld boards, persistant characters) with a lot of the same core ideas as LEW. I would start this before the actual release, preferably with some planning by the judges during these 9 months before the books hit store shelves. Possibly some development of setting and similar decisions (non-crunch stuff), and general rules. Then when the books start coming out (and especially when they give us something like the SRD to access) begin the actual games.

Oh yeah, hi again. I totally feel like this post is some complete stranger jumping in after months, spouting his mouth off, then disappearing back into the shadows.
I completely agree with you. Living Enworld should stay 3.5, and sometime before 4E hits the stores, there should be a planning for a Living 4E campaign. Not right now, let's wait until we know a bit more (come December, we should know the classes and races that will be in the PHB). Interesting to note here, gnomes (or whatever other race is dropped from the PHB) might end up playable from the MM, and there are indications that all following PHBs (and DMGs and MMs by extension) will be entered into the 4SRD.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Creamsteak said:
Who are all the current judges (all of LEW and LEB and LS)? Also, how active are they each?
LEB: stonegod, Bront, Rystil Arden, Erekose13, and Wik. All are active (Wik just joine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads