Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlagMortar

First Post
Creamsteak said:
It's been a long long time since I've posted on these boards. I assume only a handful of people still remember me.
Hi Creamsteak! I still remember you so I figured I should say hi. I even had a character in a party with Gur Chuck-Chuck. ;)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Creamsteak said:
I'm actually somewhat interested in getting Gur into a game at some point here.
You could join the giant worldwide event that is starting soon after I finish my thesis. We're glad to have you back, CS. A lot of us know who you are, even if like me, personally, we were only here after you had gone.

Creamsteak

Explorer
The email addresses are old in the character thread I think.

Also I looked through the character tracking thread and found that I was awarded 1,671 experience by Knight Otu for the adventre I was on before my long long hiatus.

As such I updated my character for approval.

Link to Gur's updated character sheet.

SuddenDawn

First Post
Re: Craft Points

Boddynock said:
See, this has been bugging me! :\

Here's the quote from the SRD re the Craft skill which defines the cost of raw materials:

To determine how much time and money it takes to make an item, follow these steps.

1. Find the item’s price. Put the price in silver pieces (1 gp = 10 sp).
2. Find the DC from the table below.
3. Pay one-third of the item’s price for the cost of raw materials.
4. Make an appropriate Craft check representing one week’s work.

That's why it costs 1/3 of the market price. Bront's comment to me was to advise that this has - at some point - been adopted in LEW.

Here's the quote from OGL Unearthed Arcana, that explicitly replaces that procedure when using craft points. As I understand, this was the procedure adopted for using craft points.

Unearthed Aracana said:
To craft an item without spending the normal labor time, a character with the appropriate item creation feat (such as Craft Masterwork Armor, Brew Potion, or Craft Staff; see below) can pay one-tenth the item's market price in craft points (minimum 1 point). He must also pay material costs equal to one-half the item's market price (this replaces the normal material cost for crafting an item). For a magic item, the character must also pay the normal experience point cost for crafting the item. Once the character declares that he is spending these craft points and gold pieces (and experience points, for a magic item), the item is automatically completed one day later (typically the next morning).
Emphasis added.

Boddynock

First Post
Knight Otu said:
I guess that is exactly what it is. I believe I didn't touch the tables when I updated the rules.
Thanks, KO.

SuddenDawn, it seems that there has already been a discussion about the issue Dargon mentioned, and that modifications to the Unearthed Arcana SRD were adopted. The problem is, as Knight Otu mentioned in his post, those modifications weren't noted in the table cited.

Does anyone recall which thread the discussions took place in? It would help to be able to reference them. And, now that KO has stepped down, could one of the other judges update the reference material on the boards?

Thanks.

'Nock

SuddenDawn

First Post
Boddynock,

If the judges have voted to adjust the crafting rules, then I suppose the discussion is over.

If the rules were changed, it was perhaps ill-advised. My 1st level character who is currently pending approval has 650 craft points to play with. With those points he could craft 6.500 gp worth of mundane goods, sell them for 3.250 gp. After accounting for the material cost of 2.166,67 gp, he has made a profit of 1.083,33 gp before participating in a single adventure.

I apologize if I seem needless antagonistic, I do not mean to be. If indeed the crafting rules adopted by LEW use 1/3 of the list price as the material cost, I'll not say more. (But I will be adjusting my character sheet. ;) )

Boddynock

First Post
SuddenDawn said:
My 1st level character who is currently pending approval has 650 craft points to play with. With those points he could craft 6.500 gp worth of mundane goods, sell them for 3.250 gp. After accounting for the material cost of 2.166,67 gp, he has made a profit of 1.083,33 gp before participating in a single adventure.
I started to say, "Good luck finding someone to buy those 3250 gp worth of mundane goods." Then I realized that one could, indeed, sell them at half price to a faceless NPC and have the transaction hand-waved (or maybe not, since it's something which would have to be approved by either a DM or a Judge - and it's certainly not something I'd let pass if someone wanted a character approved.)

It just hadn't occurred to me that anybody would want to exploit the rules in that way :eek: . My own interest in all this comes from a PC dwarven smith of mine. He's so focused on crafting that it's actually hard for me, as the player, to deal with the fact that he's currently off adventuring (that being, after all, the main reason for having PCs in LEW :lol: ).

Certainly, I've had him open a shop, and he benefits from the Job System but the fact is that he's limited by his Craft Point total - and while he also has Scribe Scroll, with the associated CP boost, the fact that I have to burn a feat to get those, as well as the necessity of using CPs for the scrolls he wants to scribe, makes it a self-limiting process. I think it's balanced, and it's certainly in character!

SuddenDawn said:
I apologize if I seem needless antagonistic, I do not mean to be.
Not a problem! :D

'N

Manzanita

First Post
Creamsteak was in the first PbP game I ever played. With the PC incarnation of Reinert the surly dwarf rogue/fighter who actually managed to advance to 3rd level before the DM gave up on us. (Reinert has now made an appearance as an NPC in S1) At the time, I didn't realize how rare that was. Then Creamsteak had this brilliant idea that changed PBP games on ENWorld forever....

I'm a judge, originally appointed by Creamsteak. I'll admit I'm not very active as a judge. We could really use more active judges, especially as KO has stepped down. Updating the various record threads, approving PCs and such takes a lot of time. Players are a dime a dozen, but a good judge, well, that's priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads