CPsi: Erudite

Rystil Arden

First Post
They made the Erudite less mordibly overpowered than the Dragon Magazine version, but the whole concept of "Spontaneously cast off my whole spell list as long as I don't use more than a certain number of unique spells each day" has always seemed extremely sketchy to me.

Kaodi

Hero
True, but the considerable resources needed to really take advantage of the Erudite's ability mean that in the long run, they are likely to fall several levels behind their companions. Since the cost to learn a power is based on your class level, and not the power level, it is only cost effective to load up on powers that are hardest to aquire. In comparison, a 3rd level wizard might pay 150 gp for a 2nd level scroll, and then 200 gp to scribe it into his spellbook. A 3rd level erudite would pay 150 gp for a 2nd level power stone, and then 60 xp to commit it to his or her repetoire. If you compare that to the cost of creating an item, 60 xp is enough to make an item with a 1500 gp base price, and a 750 gp cost/profit. So, the wizard's total expense is 350 gp, and the erudite's is equivalent to 900 gp. At 4th level, it becomes 1050 gp to learn that 2nd level power, whereas its still only 350 gp for the wizard.

Velmont

First Post
Let's say you stay with teh same group over any adventure, an Erudite will fall behind one level of the others, and at that moment, he will gain more XP and will catch up the others, unless he continue to commit powers and in that acse, he will probably stay one level behind but no more...

Personally, I don't know about that class. I don't even sure I understand how it work. I'll leave that to the judge.

Bront

The man with the probe
I don't care for it. Don't like the way it works, and think it overcomplicates things a bit. Not sure I'm sold on the balance of it either. Sure, over pure XP earnings it might be ok, so in a home campaign maybe, but it looks unbalanced at any particular level.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases