Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant High

Milagroso

First Post
hero4hire said:
In Ultimate Power they have a +3 extra for Shrinking called Compression
essentially per rank activated of shrinking activates a rank of density. So the weight/mass stays constant.

I don't have Ultimate Power though. Can you list it down for me here with the total cost to PP so I can just append it to my sheet and subtract the points? Or should I just go with what I have for now?

Jemal

Adventurer
Shrinking like you want it - Not loosing mass/str/con, and gaining the Density traits at an equal rank, costs 6pp/rank IIRC, though it IS fairly useful.. You're smaller, harder to hit, and just as combat effective.

Imerak

First Post
Okay, here's the finished version. Thanks for the input.

[sblock="Molly"]Molly Hayes
PL 11
Appearance: female, 13 years old, brown hair, green eyes, small

Abilities (25)
Strength 13 <33>
Dexterity 16
Constitution 12 <32>
Intelligence 13
Wisdom 14
Charisma 17

Combat/Saves (55)

Attack +11 (all bought)
Defense +8 (all bought)

Toughness +1 <+11>
Fortitude +6 (+5 base) <+16>
Reflex +9 (+6 base)
Will +7 (+6 base)

Skills/Feats (25)

Knowledge (pop culture) +9
Concentration +13 <+23>
Gather Information +11
Notice +10
Sense Motive +10

Attractive II (adorable)
Dodge Focus II
Fascinate (diplomacy)
Luck
Improved Overrun
Improved Sunder
Improved Throw
Inspire
Power Attack
Rage
Throwing Mastery
Stunning Attack

Powers (74)
Linked - Boost (Strength) 20 & Boost (Constitution) 20
-Tiring
Super-Strength 15
-Groundstrike
-Sustained duration
-Tiring
Immovable 6
Mind Shield 6

Drawbacks (-1):
Complications: Parents are supervillains, bad temper
Full Power (boost)[/sblock]

EDIT: Added Attractive, removed Diplomacy ranks

Last edited:

Milagroso

First Post
Okay, I finished the character. I can't post it yet because I have to cook dinner for my kids before the cannibalized each other, but it will be up soon.

hero4hire

Explorer
Imerak said:
Okay, here's the finished version. Thanks for the input.

Diplomacy +19 (are you gonna argue with her?)

<<snip>>
Fascinate (diplomacy)

Holy Moly! I have never read Runaways, Does she really have legendary Diplomat skills?

She should be an intergalactic ambassador. :)

drothgery

First Post
Just as a curiousity for now, is there a straightforward way to set up a power where you can dynamically trade strength for area of effect? When he's fully mastered his powers, I'd like it to be possible for Eric to give one or two people a major boost, or 10 people a smaller one, or something in between; the only thing I could see to try and accomplish that was setting up a power array with different 'preset' levels.

Milagroso

First Post
Lightspeed

Okay, here she is. I'm sure I've gotten something wrong, so I would appreciate any constructive criticism. She probably needs some tweaking in the powers department, as I've learned that there is a structure one can follow to maximize efficiency, cost, and power. I've included flavor text for each power so you can get an idea of what it is suppose to do. Also, she might be a little under powered in the combat/saves department. I elected to not take a tradeoff on purpose, mostly because this is my first character. I also don't have toughness listed here because I'm a little confused about what that score is. I think its a 3, if its based off my Con. I'm use to hitpoints.

It's okay if some of her powers are weak. I attribute it to her suddenly gaining these new powers and not really sure how to use them effectively. As for drawbacks, I really couldn't find any that suit the character. So, any ideas in that department would likewise be appreciated.

You will notice that the combined amount of PPs are a little less then 180 that were alloted to us. This is because I left a little room for error, in case I did the math wrong. If I have any points left to spend, I would appreciate any tips on where to put them. There were a few things that I did not add that should be there, in keeping with the original concept of the character.

1. Her costume.
Its quite ordinary in abilities, nothing special. Just immunity to her own powers (so she doesn't break it), a thermal regulator which keeps her cool/warm/dry but does not offer any protection from adverse weather effects (i.e. she can still freeze to death, suffer a heat stroke, or drown). Plus the costume is equipped with two dimensional pockets that afford some extra space to store stuff. I read I can take the device power to make this costume a reality, but I was concerned about running out of points.​
2. Quickness.
Julie is suppose to have a quickness about her. Nothing too extreme. She can just accomplish most tasks a little faster then normal. If I have enough points left over, I'll probably add that power too.​

Thanks again to everyone for their time and patience.

[SBLOCK=Description]
Power Level: 11
Height: 5’2”
Weight: 100lbs
Hair: Red
Eyes: Blue
Nationality: American (north easterner)
Ethnicity: Caucasian

Lightspeed dresses in trendy yet moderately affordable fashions when not wearing her superhero costume. Her costume is a single piece article of clothing that covers her entire body and includes her metallic boots. The costume is rose and black in color, with an odd alien looking icon on the chest. The icon represents speed.
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Stats]
Abilities
Str: 10 +0
Dex: 17 +3
Con: 16 +3
Int: 12 +1
Wis: 14 +2
Cha: 16 +3
(Total: 25pp)

Skills
Acrobatics 7
Bluff 11
Concentration 6
Gather Information 7
Knowledge: Art 5
Knowledge: Poetry & Literature 9
Notice 6
Profession: Writer 6
Sense Motive 10
Stealth 7
Perform: Acting 7
Perform: Oratory 7
(Total: 15pp)

Feats
Dodge Focus 1
Grappling Finesse
Improved Grab
Improved Overrun
Improved Trip
Sneak Attack 1
Uncanny Dodge 1 (Sight)
(Total: 7pp)

Powers
Flight 4
(Movement, move, personal, sustained)
Cost: 2pp/rank
Cannot hover (-1)
Total: 1pp/rank = 4
[SBLOCK=Flavor] The flight power allows Lightspeed to fly, although not at light speed. When she flies she leaves a trail of colored lights behind her. This is something like waving a lightstick through the air in the dark. Lightspeed might use this power to swarm around an enemy's head at great speeds, allowing her trail to blind or confuse the enemy. She might also use this power to barrel into an enemy, hoping to knock them over with force and speed, or perform a trip attempt. The nature of the power prevents Lightspeed from being able to hover.[/SBLOCK]

Shrinking 4
(Alteration, free, personal, sustained)
Cost: 1pp/rank
Extra: Compression (+3)
Extra: Normal Strength (+1)
Power Feat: Growth Strike (1pp)
Total: 5pp/rank = 20pp + 1PF = 21
[SBLOCK=Flavor]This power is a function of Lightspeed’s ability to manipulate her molecules. She can shrink herself down to smaller size, but in the process her body becomes dense. Lightspeed might use this power to escape from harm, surprise a foe, or to make hiding easier.[/SBLOCK]

Insubstantial 2
(Alteration, free, personal, sustained)
Cost: 5pp/rank
Total: 5pp/rank = 10pp
[SBLOCk=Flavor]This power is a function of Lightspeed’s ability to manipulate her molecules. It represents her ability to expand her molecules to such a degree that she becomes a gaseous, cloud-like being. This power originally had limited flight ability, but it was overtaken by Lightspeed’s flight power. Lightspeed might use this ability to obscure someone’s view, escape a grapple, or slip under a door’s crack. [/SBLOCK]

Gravity Control 8
(Standard, general, touch, sustained)
Cost 2pp/rank
DAP: Strike 8 (2pp)
Flaw: Touch (-1)
Total: 1pp/rank = 8 +2 DAP = 10pp
[SBLOCK=Flavor]The gravity control allows Lightspeed to increase or decrease the effects of gravity on herself or on objects/creatures she touches. Although this power does not include flight, she might be able to flicker the power on and off to achieve levitation or hovering. She might also use this power to degravitize an otherwise very heave object, and throw it at an enemy. Additionally, she might throw a “heavy-g” punch to inflict more damage upon an enemy.[/SBLOCK]

Corrosion 8 Dynamic
(Attack, standard, touch, full-round)
Cost 2pp/rank
DAP: Light Control 8 (Personal) (2pp)
DAP: Blast: Kinetic 8 (2pp)
Drawback: Can only use Corrosion APs after successful corrosion.
Total: 2pp/rank = 16 + 2 DAP +2 DAP = 20pp
[SBLOCK=Flavor]This ability, potentially the most dangerous of them all, allows Lightspeed to disintegrate matter. Disintegrating an object takes a full round action, and might take longer to consume in object if it large or exceptionally dense. When matter is disintegrated, it is actually converted into raw energy which is stored in her body. The amount she can store is limited by her body weight. Additionally, storing energy in her body causes her to glow with a light whose brightness is in proportion to her charge level. The more stored energy, the brighter the glow. Finally, Lightspeed can expel this energy in the form of a ball of kinetic energy which inflicts (lethal?) damage on opponents. [/SBLOCK]

Regeneration 5
(Alteration, full-round, personal, permanent)
Cost 1pp/rank
Recovery Rate: 3 seconds
Flaw: Full-round action, requires concentration and inactivity.
Total: 1pp/rank = 5pp
[SBLOCK=Flavor]Lightspeed can regenerate any damage she might have endured. This ability does not work automatically or reactively. She must be able to take the time to concentrate for a full round, taking no other action, and with heavy concentration. [/SBLOCK]

Powers Total: 70pp

Combat
Attack: 8
Defense: 8
Total: (2pp/ +1 = 16) + (2pp/ +1 = 16) = 32pp

Saves
Fortitude 6
Reflex 9
Willpower 6
Total: 3+6+4= 13

Equipment
Laptop

[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Mathematics]
Mathematics
Abilities: 25pp
Skills/Feats: 15pp/7
Powers: 70pp
Combat/Saves: 32/13
Total: 25 + 15 + 7 + 70 + 32 + 13 = 162
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Character]
Biography
Julie Powers once belonged to a super team quintet that included her two brothers (Alex and Jack), her younger sister (Katie), and their family friend Franklin Richards. Together they fought crime, repelled space invaders, diverted disaster, and saved the world. However, the most extraordinary thing about this group was that all of them were kids.

Her and her siblings received their powers when they discovered a falling object in the sky crash near their summer home. Upon investigation, they found a wounded alien from an equestrian-like race known as the Kimillians. Before this alien died, he passed on to them a warning about an impending disaster that would surely destroy Earth. He subsequently charged them with the task of saving the planet and bestowed upon them his super-kimillian abilities to aid them in their task.

Although they succeeded in saving the world, their powers stayed with them. They felt it was their personal responsibility to use their powers for good and justice (and also a little adventure) and accomplished tasks that normally only adult super-humans would challenge. However, after time it became increasingly difficult to keep their secret identities hidden from the world and their parents. Through their endeavors of heroism they managed to build a wealthy supply of enemies (some of whom were super-villains). Add on top of that the normal pressures of emerging adolescence and the trivial nuances of sibling rivalry, the children began using their powers as an escape from their mundane world and an outlet for their frustrations.

It wasn’t until they battled with the Queen of the Snarks, an ancient reptilian race of tyrants, that Julie learned the true meaning of tragedy. In the confrontation, all of her siblings were lost, each dying in slow painful ways. As they died, she somehow absorbed their powers and managed to defeat the Queen, but her loss weighed heavily upon her. She knew that although they had these incredible powers, they were not mentally and emotionally equipped to deal with the life of a superhero. They were reckless thrill-seekers, and their - her – irresponsibility led to their deaths.

Julie returned home to finally, after a year of subterfuge, reveal her powers to parents and bring them the sad news that she is now an only child. Her parents, stricken with grief and horror at the two-fold herald of tragedy, went into shock. They disowned her as an aberration of nature, cursed her very existence, and finally went insane.
Forsaken, Julie was turned out into the world with no home and no family. She did, however, make a few allies with the New Mutants, Fantastic Four, and the X-Men. It was from them that she learned about the school for exceptional students where the students were mutants, and “gifted” like her. Julie had no other place to go.

Personality
Julie is a hopeless romantic and a dreamer. She enjoys spending her time in more artistic pursuits, joining clubs and organizations that promote creativity. Her hobbies include reading fantasy books, writing fantasy themed stories and poems, participating in role-playing games and acting workshops, and also studying art. She dreams of one day being an artist like her mother or a writer of fiction novels. Although she is now a few years older and wiser from the fateful day that changed her life, Julie is still a little reckless and wild. Often times she forgets to not use her powers, and has been chided by her professors to reserve them for the proper time and place.

Alias
Julie goes by the super-hero alias Lightspeed, a throwback from the days when she used to adventure with her siblings. Although the name was suppose to represent her original power of being able to fly at great speed and do various things faster then normal, it now seems inadequate. She is searching for a new name that would better define her powers as well as her personality.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
Regeneration is bought by categories - you buy the ability to regenerate from each condition separately. Also, since your regen requires your actions to use thanks to Full Action flaw, the Healing power (with self only) might be more appropriate. Normally, the benefit of regen is that it works automatically (like after you get knocked out).

Depending on how you wish to some of your powers, you move more of them into arrays. For instance, if she doesn't use Shrinking and ghostiness at the same time (hard to both condense herself and diffuse herself into a loose cloud?), they could be made alternate powers of each other.

Milagroso

First Post
So, instead of regeneration, I should take Healing (self only flaw)? I'll look into adding that.

As for the AP you mentioned, it does make sense when you put it that way to make them both alternate powers of each other, but I'm still learning how to use AP and DAP and linking them. I wouldn't know how to represent that on paper. Or, in other words, how to write out the power in that fashion.

It still confuses me, I think my head is still in DnD 3.5.

Remove ads