Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant High

Insight

Adventurer
Jemal said:
[sblock=Gwen]
AKA spider-chick. ;)
Saves:
You bought toughness out of your Saves pool, but it can't be bought like that, it has to be bought as a power, or as Constitution.
Powers:
why enhanced dex 11? That leaves you with an odd score, why not 10 or 12?
With your Super-senses (Precog/Postcog), Uncontrolled is only a -1 flaw, not -2, meaning they'd still cost 3 each (4 normally).
Your Telepathy AP: Mental Blast costs 3pp/rank with Unreliable(4pp normal), so since your array has 16pp, that means your mental blast is only rank 5. Are you sure you want that?
ALso, one thing about your webs - Since the blast and Swinging are dynamic, but the snare isn't, that means you can have either Snare active, or Blast, or Swinging, or a combination of blast AND swinging, but not snare and either swinging or blast... FOr an additional 1 pp, you can make the snare effect dynamic as well.
[/sblock]

[sblock]
1. Yeah, for some reason, I thought you could buy Toughness like the other saves. I'll fix it.
2. I'll probably adjust the Enhanced Dex. I wanted Gwen to have some super Dex, but not as much as her dad.
3. Super-Senses are kind of strange. I can't take the Uncontrolled flaw RAW, because that would apply to the entire power (which I don't want it to do). What I was hoping to do is reduce the per-rank cost to 0.5 for each; Precog and Postcog are 4 ranks of Super-Senses, so the new cost would be 2 ranks.
4. Yes, I want Gwen's mental blast to be sub-par. She's just learning how to use it, and it's not intended to be super powerful right now.
5. I might make the rest of the webs array dynamic. I've got the pp (by fixing Toughness), so maybe that's what I'll do.

I'll try to post a corrected version soon.
[/sblock]

Milagroso

First Post
I posted Lightspeed to the rogues gallery, but I still have a little more tweaking to do.

I still need to:
1. Add quickness power
2. Possibly add Enhanced Ability: Dexterity
3. Decide if I need to add Device: Superhero Costume
4. Increase flight speed
5. Correct Attack/Combat and saves
6. Figure out how to increase toughness
7. Spend about 30 more points, not including the stuff listed above.

I'm really just waiting for Jemal to say whether its good or not before I continue. I don't want to spend the points and find out that I messed up somewhere and have to redo it. If anyone else sees something that needs correcting or improving, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Jemal

Adventurer
Insight - Most of that looks good. With REgards to the super senses (And other things that are bought by-rank), I'm not sure exactly what to do yet..

Milagroso - Toughness is increased through one of the following: Constitution, Protection power, or Force-Field Power.
As for the rest of it, i'd prefer if the character WERE complete before I look it over, otherwise there WILL be problems with it.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
[sblock=Desert Ghost]
Jemal said:
You only spent 91 of your skill points, you've got 1 left over if you want it.

Me and math...not friends. Adding a SP

You made a mistake on the Disintegration btw, it should've be: 5pp/rank, -1/rank range, X 15 ranks = 60pp. -1 for Full Power = 59. Full Power isn't a -1/rank FLAW, it's a -1 DRAWBACK (Drawbacks, like feats, are not based on rank, they're just straight up +/- X pp to cost).

I know full power is a drawback. My book says 4pp/rank is base for disintegration. Did I miss errata?

I would suggest going with Corrosion(3pp/rank, and is basically a touch-range disintegration) and dropping the Full Power drawback. It basically means nothing changes, but the math works out correctly.

If the math works out, I will do it, but I don't get the math: I thought I'd spent 45 points on my attack/healing array (15 ranks at 3pp/rank=45 points-1 drawback=44 points. +1 alternate power=45 points). If I take corrosion at 3pp/rank, but without the full-power drawback, I am now spending 46 points (15 ranks at 3pp/rank=45 points+1 alternate power=46 points). I don't think I understand waht you are saying. Either way, changing it to Corrosion.

(I assume since you have a rank 15 damage effect that you made an Attack/Save DC Trade-off? If so, please mention it on your character sheet.)

Adding trade-offs.

Also, your combat section lists your disintegration attack as Fort+15/Toughness+20. That's a little misleading(I know what you mean, but it's slightly confusing. The toughness DC isn't 20 higher, its still "+15", it's just that toughness BASE Dc's are 15.) Just for the record, My calculations show it as a DC25 fort save (10+rank) followed by a DC30 Toughness(15+rank). Maybe you should just write it like that.

Will do. That was just an artifact of how I run M&M games, with no saving throws, instead just Defenses like in SAGA edition, and you roll for all attacks and damage. I forgot how it was supposed to work.

Finally, I see you have a rank in Equipment, but don't have your equipment listed..

How did that not get listed? Oops.

[/sblock]

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
[sblock]
Jemal said:
(isn't Llorona the spanish name for a woman who killed her children and then became a ghost?)
La LLorona was the name of the ghost, not the woman. Thing is, there are hundreds of versions of the LLorona story which mostly involve the death of children (whether it be a result murder, accident, or from natural circumstances like a flood or disease).

Llorona is the name of the ghost, not the woman (there are actually several; It literally means "Crying woman." There are actually many versions of story of La Llorona (most involve the death of her children).

OK, well first off, your Invisibility and Flight need a PERMANENT duration (which is no cost change for either),
[snip] and that you CAN'T turn invisible OR fly when you're 'manifesting'(Being corporeal).
Thats exactly how i wanted the powers to work.

SO, here's how I think your Insubstantial should look:

Insubstantial 4 [26pp]: Alteration, Free Action, Personal Range, Duration: Permanent(materialization), Continuous (insubstantial); Affected by Electricity. PF: Innate, Selective(Materialization) Extras: Duration: Continuous(+1), Materialize(+1, Sustained) Flaws: Permanent(-1)
LINKED: Invisibility [6pp]: Concealment (normal vision) 2, Free Action, Personal Range, Duration: Permanent; PF: Close Range, Innate; Extras: Continuous (+1); Flaws: Permanent (-1)
LINKED: Flight 4 [8pp]: Movement, Move Action (active), Personal Range, Duration: Permanent; 100mph; Extras: Continuous (+1); Flaws: Permanent (-1)
I thought I needed to buy the affects corporeal extra for insubstantial if i wanted her to be able to be able to manipulate objects while insubstantial, ie push a chair or lift a pencil. I realize that I could easily fix that with telekinesis, but I didn't want her to be able to use most of her abilities at a range.
Also, RE: Death Touch - You know that with the Disease Extra, it means they don't take the Con drain until 1 day later, right?
Looks like I'll have to make an other alternate power then since I wanted to be able to do an "instant" drain and delayed one. Thanks for catching the error.

(PLus, for your Life Control array making your eyes glow - That's basically the Noticeable Drawback, though I think that's what you were basically doing anyways).
Finally, I know it's an alt power of Life Control, but why does your ghost have Healing?
I actually forgot to write "noticeable" before writing the eyes glow part. Even though I didn't write it in each alternate power I was hoping that drawback would be inherent to all abilities based on it.
As far as the healing AP, I was thinking that since she knows how to drain life force (and how to reverse the damage she caused), she might technically know how to "give" life-force, thus making her able to heal. When I was creating that alternate power I actually thought about making it empathic so that it would remain destructive to some extent. If need be, I'll add the empathic flaw to that power if that'll make it work better.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Shaggy -
On looking, it says 4pp/rank in the M&M book and 5pp/rank in Ultimate Powers. I'm assuming the Ultimate Powers one is the typo.
Either way it doesn't matter for now, b/c the touch range version (Corrosion) is still 3pp/rank.

As for the attack/healing array - You don't add the cost of your ALternate Powers to the points you get to distribute to your AP's. And since your healing AP COSTS 45 points, that means your main power must be at least 45 points BEFORE the alternate power feat. with the full-power drawback it would be 44, meaning you'd have to loose a rank of healing.

Relique -
Affects Corporeal added to your Insubstantial does not allow you to 'affect' the real world, b/c you have NO strength score when insubstantial. The way you're currently set up, you're invisible, intangible, Floating, and CAN'T touch anything without manifesting. there's no way to change the 'can't touch anything' part except by manifesting. That's what makes incorporeal.. well, "incorporeal".
*L* I just realized how you could do it.. Telekinesis Touch range :D It 'technically' works, though for a normal person it would be basically a variant strength score. For an insubstantial character, it 'looks' like you're moving stuff, but you're not actually moving it physically..

I have no problem with the healing itself, just was wondering why a 'ghost' character could do it. If you think it fits, then hey - It's YOUR character, have fun.

Milagroso

First Post
Jemal said:
Milagroso - Toughness is increased through one of the following: Constitution, Protection power, or Force-Field Power.
As for the rest of it, i'd prefer if the character WERE complete before I look it over, otherwise there WILL be problems with it.

Okay, that makes sense. I'll go ahead and make the corrections and spend the rest of the points now and update the character on the other thread.

For the toughness, there is some precedent for me to be able to increase her con. I'll look over some of the other items you mentioned.

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Jemal said:
As for the attack/healing array - You don't add the cost of your ALternate Powers to the points you get to distribute to your AP's. And since your healing AP COSTS 45 points, that means your main power must be at least 45 points BEFORE the alternate power feat. with the full-power drawback it would be 44, meaning you'd have to loose a rank of healing.

But if both the Corrosion and the Healing have the Full-Power Drawback, which is -1 from the final cost, aren't both powers coming in at a 44pp pricetag?
3pp/rank at 15 ranks=45 pp-1 drawback=44pp
5pp/rank at 9 ranks=45 pp-1 drawback=44pp:therefore, Healing 9 is a valid Alternate array to Corrosion 15, yes?

I just realized I screwed up my equipment. Fixing it soon.

Victim

First Post
Disintegration was changed to 5/rank by UP. Instead of being Blast+Drain Toughness (Ranged), it became Blast + Drain Toughness (Ranged, Affects Objects). Since objects and constructs are Immune to Fort effects, it was decided that there needed to be a special extra to allow the toughness drain to work as intended. Otherwise, the immunity on constructs would be circumvented for free. On the bright side, constructs can no longer make a toughness save against the Drain portion of the attack.

-------------------------------------

Affects Corporeal could be bought on your normal STR bonus to allow interaction with objects. But touch TK with it is pretty cheap too.

Insight

Adventurer
Question: Don't we have more pp than PL 11 should? PL 11, according to the book, is 165 - 179pp. Not that I'm complaining; I like more points to play with.

Remove ads