Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant High

Victim

First Post
Drerek said:
I thought I read in the M&M book that those who are of Large size are simply those with Growth power made permanent. Is that wrong?

Yeah. Growth is Sustained, so making it permanent is net +0 cost change. (+1/ to go Continuous, -1 going to Permanent). It's tons more inconvienent (literally at higher levels), but you also don't lose its defensive benefits when Stunned.

Innate might also be a good buy for some sorts of permanent growth.

Dayspire

Explorer
Jemal, if Wi-Fi has telepathy, I'd rather not step on his toes - can I change it? Perhaps to mind control. Somewhat of a departure for Psylocke, granted. So when she slides her psi-blade into the mind of an enemy, now she snaps it off, and is able to control them... Hmmm...

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Dayspire said:
Jemal, if Wi-Fi has telepathy, I'd rather not step on his toes - can I change it? Perhaps to mind control. Somewhat of a departure for Psylocke, granted. So when she slides her psi-blade into the mind of an enemy, now she snaps it off, and is able to control them... Hmmm...
I don't have Telepathy, I have Mind Reading... no communications aspect -- yet.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I'm going to adjust the power point totals and fix the errors I made with the first write up..

[sblock="Response to questions"]
Also, re: Concealment - "Sensory, Free Action, Personal Range, Sustained Duration; Concealment from all visual senses, PF: Close Range, Linked to Insubstantial, Selective"
How do you see this working? Seems to me like you want to be Invisible while Insubstantial, but only to certain people, is that it?
Actually, I wasn't to sure how to write up the power. I wanted her only to be able to use her power while insubstantial but since she basically is unsubstantial all the time I didn't think that "Limited: Only while Incorporeal" would have been worthy of a flaw since its already implied by the power link. By default LLorona was going to be visible but I wanted to make her be able to make herself invisible or partially invisible at will by diffusing her form beyond that of insubstantial (I was using Ultimate Power's interpretation of the subtle pf when applied to concealment).

However, I do like your interpretation of the that power since it makes her more ghost like. As a result I changed the power by making it continuous/permanent instead of sustained. Since I'm using ultimate power's interpretation of the subtle pf, LLorona is normally totally concealed but she's able to make herself partially concealed or eliminate her concealment at will (by using a free action). I also made the power innate to represent how its all genetic.

Edit: The only thing I don't like about the continuous duration is that when she allows herself to become completely visible (non-concealed) she would remain that way until she reverts to invisible (unconcealed). Personally, I'd rather treat it like how i did with insubstantial, so I'll place an asterix by that power.

Finally, a couple things about your Insubstantial.
First, I don't get how you plan the "materialization" on your Insubstantial to work.. It seems like you want just the exact reverse of insubstantial.. You're normally insubstantial, but can become solid?
Thats exactly what I wanted to happen. That's also why I didn't originally buy any ranks of affects corporal for her life control power since I wanted her to be so inexperienced with her own powers that she hasn't learned how to use them efficiently. But, now that I think of it, since she has been at Xavier Institute for a year, she might have gained enough experience to use life drain while incorporeal.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Lobo Lurker said:
I don't have Telepathy, I have Mind Reading... no communications aspect -- yet.

Gwen has telepathy and mind control, but not at PL (they are like 2/3 PL). But... neither are her main powers, so don't worry about stepping on any toes on my account.

Shayuri

First Post
Alrighty then!

Hopefully this clears up the few things that were missing before. If you need more, just ask! :)

As always, suggestions and comments are always entertained, though I'm fairly happy with the build. Her defense is a bit light and has holes...but that's okay. Oh, and Jemal, I'm not sure how much water it would reasonable take to power her abilities. What if she carried some around in some kind of...oversized waterskin or something? Feasible, or would it be too heavy?

Also, would being a legal minor be considered a drawback, or a complication? :)

[sblock=Calypso]CODENAME Calypso
Concept/Archetype: Elemental
Power Level: 11
Power Points: 180
Experience Points:
Hero Points: 1

ABILITIES 25
STR 10 +0 (0 PP)
DEX 16 +3 (6 PP)
CON 16 +3 (6 PP)
INT 13 +1 (3 PP)
WIS 10 +0 (0 PP)
CHA 20 +5 (10 PP)

SAVES 11
TOUG +3 (3 Con)
FORT +6 (3 Base + 3 Con) (1 PP)
REF +7 (4 Base + 3 Dex ) (2 PP)
WILL +4 (4 Base + 0 Wis) (4 PP)

COMBAT 36
INIT +3
BASE DEF +8 (16 PP)
DEF 18 (10 + 8 Base)
FLAT-FOOTED 14
BASE ATT +10 (20 PP)

ATTACK
Water Bash: Melee Attack +10 (DC 26, 15' reach, nonlethal, water)
Water Blast: Ranged Attack +10 (DC 26, 110', nonlethal, water, linked Trip(KB) +11)
Ice Shards: Ranged Attack +10 (DC 26, 110', lethal, ice, autofire)

SKILLS 40 SP (10 PP)
Bluff +10 (5 ranks + 5 Cha)
Concentration +5 (5 ranks + 0 Wis)
Intimidate +10 (5 ranks + 5 Cha)
Knowledge (current events) +5 (4 ranks + 1 Int)
Medicine +4 (4 ranks + 0 Wis)
Notice +5 (5 ranks + 0 Wis)
Profession:Fishing +2 (2 ranks + 0 Wis)
Swim +10 (10 ranks + 0 Str)

LANGUAGES (0 Ranks)
English

MOVEMENT
SPEED 30/60/120
SWIM MPH: 25/50/100

FEATS 10
Attractive 1
All Out Attack 1
Defensive Attack 1
Evasion 2
Favored Environment (water) 1
Environmental Adaptation (water) 1
Rage 3

POWERS 88
Water Control +11 (28pp)
- AP Create Object (Movable, Medium:water, PF Tether, PF Progression) +10
- AP Nonlethal Blast (Medium: Water, Link to Trip) +11
- - Trip (Knockback, Medium: Water, Link to Blast) +11
- AP Lethal Blast (Medium: Water, Autofire) +11
- AP Snare (Medium: Water, PF Reversible) +10
- AP Strike (Medium: Water, PF Extended 2) +11
- AP Suffocate (Medium: Water, Sustained) +11

Rain/Sleet storm: Environment Control (distract DC 10/hamper movement 1/2) +5 (15pp)
Fog Cloud: Obscure (all sight) +5 (5pp)

Deflect (All Ranged, Free, Medium: Water) +10 (30pp)
Super Move: Water Walk (2pp)
Super Sense: Detect Water (mental, range, radius, acute) +4 (4pp)
Swimming +4 (4pp)

COST
Abilities [25]
Combat [36]
Saves [11]
Skills [10]
Feats [10]
Powers [88]
Drawbacks [0]
Total [180]
Unspent [0]

NOTES
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 120lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue
Nationality: American (northeasterner)
Ethnicity: White
Tradeoffs: None

Description: Astrid is a hauntingly pretty girl with long straight hair that she often puts up and wears under a baseball cap, or down in a tail, and clear eyes colored like the ocean under an open sky. She has the athletic tone of a lifetime swimmer and a gentle patter of adorable freckles lightly peppering her cheeks and nose. Not the made-up posed beauty of a magazine cover, but rather the earthy girl-next-door loveliness that has neighborhood boys peeking out windows hopefully to get a glimpse. She typically wears baggy cargo shorts that go down to her knees, sandals and tank tops, or blousy summer dresses...unless it's winter and she has to wear her coat and pants.

Background: Unusually for troubled children, Astrid's childhood was quite happy. Her parents, formerly high finance in New York, had bought land in Maine to settle down on and semi-retire. Her father bought a small fishing boat and found to his surprise that not only could he turn some profit selling his catch, but he enjoyed doing it as well. Her mother in turn handled the family finances.

It was clear early on that there was something different about Astrid. Even as a baby, her parents noticed that there were more problems with the water pipes when she was upset. By the time she could ask for 'wa wa,' she could bend streams of water from the sink so that it spilled over the side. They themselves had had positive experiences with mutants while in New York, and viewed their daughter's abilities with excitement. At the same time, they recognized that such cosmopolitan views were unusual, so they strictly forbade her to use her powers around anyone but them. In the meantime, she took to going out on the boat with her father, using her abilities to help him fish and catch things.

In her teenage years, Astrid grew less and less satisfied with the restrictions on her though. More than one night was spent arguing over why she couldn't do anything even around her friends. One such night she left in a huff. When she returned, Astrid's life was turned upside down.

She saw the glow in the night sky, saw the flashing lights long before she got to the house. The house was on fire. Not just 'had fire in it.' The whole thing was ablaze, as if some mad god had touched a vast match to it and used it as a campfire. Firemen were pumping water from the duck pond nearby with a hose connected to their engine. Astrid had a much more efficient idea. She simply caused the whole pond to sluice up, over, and down onto the house...dousing the entire thing at once. As the firemen stared at her, completely floored, Astrid yelled her parents names and ran for the house...not caring about what she'd done, or the consequences, or anything but making sure her loved ones were okay.

Tragically, they were not. The search of the premises turned up two human remains, male and female. The temperature of the fire made dental records difficult, but it was close enough to make any other conclusion wildly speculative. The Moores were dead. Her mother's brother, Thomas Renwick, became her legal guardian...but by then, there were other complications. The fire fighting team was composed of local volunteers, and none of them were quiet about how the blaze had been extinguished. By the time the red tape was unstuck, Astrid's mutant nature was officially outed.

She would never forget, nor forgive, how friends turned away when she needed them most. How people she'd only met in passing before now either scowled at her or hurried away as she went by. Other people, strangers, started making trouble, and that made people blame Astrid all the more. Thomas, who still lived in New York, made a quick decision.

She obviously couldn't stay in the lazy, small...but very conservative...Maine fishing town she still owned the family land in. And she -definitely- couldn't stay with Thomas, who was living a comfortable bachelor's life and simply had no room for (mutant) little girl. So he sent her to Xavier's after doing some discrete poking around in "mutant circles."

Despite the fact that Astrid feels more at home at Xavier's than she had at home (at least after her parent's death), she still feels that her uncle sent her there just to get rid of her, and it's therefore still a betrayal...again, just when she was most hurt, and needed comfort the most. She has become an angry, lonely child...desperate for companionship, but unable to trust anyone enough to let them get close. This anger is especially apparent when confronted by anti-mutant prejudice, as she's started to see that as the reason why her friends and uncle abandoned her.

Astrid has taken the 'mutant name' of Calypso, which her father used to call her, in reference to the sea nymph from The Odyssey.[/sblock]

Insight

Adventurer
Shayuri said:
Also, would being a legal minor be considered a drawback, or a complication? :)

I'd like to know Jemal's position on this question as well. My belief is that it would be a complication, as it doesn't come up all the time (it doesn't prevent you from using your powers, for example).

Shayuri

First Post
I tend to agree, though there's Drawback mitigators for things that aren't constantly limiting too.

And there -are- a lot of things minors are not legally able to do. The key term being -legally-. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases