The creature behind the Bag of Devouring
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The creature behind the Bag of Devouring

What is this thing?

All we get are references to the Bag of Devouring being its feeding orifices, but that's it. Perhaps this thing as the ability to penetrate non-dimensional spaces? Perhaps this creature itself is non-dimensional?

I've the feeling that this creature could spice campaigns up, where Bags of Holding are now risky ventures, since you'll never know when the Horror will come to feed; where Rope Trick resting spaces are risky, and the only benefit is being able to see what is eating you before you're devoured; where entering a Portable Hole hangs you out to feed upon; where combining a Bag of Holding and a Portable Hole creates a portal to Non-dimension, the space between realities where this thing lives.

Who has done what with the Bag of Devouring Monster? Has anyone ever worked in plotlines centering around the Non-dimensional Horror?

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 3 Reviews

° Block The_Gneech

° Friend+
    Azathoth?

-The Gneech

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Block HellHound

° Friend+
    Me.

"Get. In. Mah. Belly!"

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    Who has done what with the Bag of Devouring Monster? Has anyone ever worked in plotlines centering around the Non-dimensional Horror?
    I've had PCs use it for body disposal (like mobsters and pig farms...).

I've also had an illithid city, the City of Devourings, based in the gut of the creature's main body deep within the Astral (I don't immediately recall if I got the idea from canon or a really inspired idea from RoE or Planewalker).

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Dwarven ForgeReaper MinisD&DI Defended The Walls!

° Block Halivar

° Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Gneech
    Azathoth?
    La! La! Ftagn!

Ihagnim

Interestingly, I'm seeing a reference to the creature as having been written up for 1E AD&D in Dragon issue #89, Creature Catalog I, as the "Ihagnim".

Unfortunately, my Dragon magazine CD archive is missing that article -- it was a feature in the center that wasn't paginated with the rest of the magazine (first time I ever noticed that). Maybe someone has issue #89 kicking around, with the article still attached.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Block zen_hydra

° Friend+
    Dragon #271 (pages 82-87) has an Ecology of the Bag of Devouring article that discusses the nature of the Devourer.

Quote Originally Posted by zen_hydra
    Dragon #271 (pages 82-87) has an Ecology of the Bag of Devouring article that discusses the nature of the Devourer.
    What was that nature?

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

° Block zen_hydra

° Friend+
    The article discusses how Bags of Devouring are the "mouths" of creatures known as Devourers. The number of bags/mouths that a devourer has developed determines its level of sentience.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    What was that nature?
    Wimpy. It felt like the article wanted to make a trip through the bag survivable, which it should not be.

nterestingly, I'm seeing a reference to the creature as having been written up for 1E AD&D in Dragon issue #89, Creature Catalog I, as the "Ihagnim".

Unfortunately, my Dragon magazine CD archive is missing that article -- it was a feature in the center that wasn't paginated with the rest of the magazine (first time I ever noticed that). Maybe someone has issue #89 kicking around, with the article still attached.
    http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/1955/ihagnim0iv.gif

Quick Reply Quick Reply