Alvar Thorne & Associates, Part 1 - orsal judging





+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 295
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Boddynock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,323

    Ignore Boddynock

    Alvar Thorne & Associates, Part 1 - orsal judging

    Dawn in Orussus is never really silent. No sooner has the rumble of the night carts ceased than the drays and wains of merchants and wagoners appear on the roads. The Night Watch calls the hours, and the catcalls of revellers on their way home disturb the honest citizens as they seek desperately to cling to one more hour of sleep.

    Even before first light, the warehouses of Alvar Thorne & Associates are a-bustle with sounds of shifting and loading, the curses of labourers and the fretful whinny of horses led too soon from warm stalls to cold traces.

    As the adventurers Thorne has recruited make their appearance at the loading bay, they see a tall, slender woman organizing the workers, chivvying them to work harder and load faster, dashing all around the warehouse, attending to a hundred and one different details.

    They see Jendral Thay, the fleet of foot young man who led them such a merry chase the day before. When he notices the group he grins and nods in cheery greeting, before turning back to the business of coaxing the horses into the wagon traces.

    His wagon is one of two which is being loaded this day. The other is in the care of a grubby dwarf who curses the workers for being so slow, and grumbles continually at the twitchiness of the horses, the chill of the dawn and the thumping of his head after too much ale and not enough sleep.

    Guidelines
    Despite the delay in posting this first entry, I know how frustrating it is if a game bogs down. So, while I'm not going to demand that everyone post daily (although if you do, that's fine by me ), I'll try to move things along on a daily basis.

    As a player, I appreciate the simplicity of having the DM make all the rolls. I'm happy to do that if you want to just indicate your actions - but I'm also happy for players to make their own rolls (on Invisible Castle, please), so please decide. One thing though - we'll use just one system or the other, not a mix of both.

    To chat out of character, please use sblocks. If you don't know how to use them, just ask and I'll show you.

    Using coloured text for speech is helpful. I've already used Teal for Alvar Thorne and Purple for Jendral Thay, so please avoid those colours. Be aware that some of the more 'out-there' colours may be difficult to read - and I may request a change if I'm struggling to read your text (dark red is a real pain ). (Actually, having said that, Drerek, I can read your posts without too much trouble. )

    To express thoughts, use quotation marks and italics. Don't forget to use your colour. "I really hope they can remember all this," Jendral thinks to himself.

    I'll give you XP awards at appropriate points in the adventure, and I'll assign time awards by the month.

    I think that's all for now. Let me know if you have any questions.

    'Nock
    The Party
    Ciprinus Leth'los, Half-Elf Druid 1
    Ruud von Nistelrooy, Gnome Illusionist 1
    Taelythenihel Nimmilemar, Grey Elf Necromancer 1
    Valdaris Roth, Human Fighter 1
    Last edited by Boddynock; Thursday, 16th August, 2007 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Acknowledging the judge
    ..

    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

    "Run, my pretty little chunks of XP, run!" (Belkar, OOTS 115)

    My characters: Father Eusebius; Peladus Bralc; Ragnok Drakeforge; Tarag of Clan Durvinn

 

  • #2
    Ruud approaches the woman, and gives a short bow, "Good morning, madam. Ruud von Nistelrooy at your service. Mr. Thorne said I should assemble here this morning to help in the escort of the caravan."

    Stats
    Ruud, Gnome Illusionist 1, HP 6, AC 14.
    Spells Prepared:
    0--Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Ghost Sound
    1--Shield, Color Spray, Reduce Person

  • #3

    Taelythenihel, Necromancer 1, AC 13, HP 4/4

    Taelythenihel approaches, looking pale in the dawn light. Ossa is a step behind her, dressed as always from head to toe in heavy dark green winter clothing, and with a shield on her arm. "My name is Taelythenihel. This is Ossa, my serving woman and bodyguard," she says.

  • #4

    Valdaris Roth [AC 18, HP 13/13, Init +2]

    As always, Valdaris grumbles at the hour of day. He rubs his hands together to warm them as he makes his way from the Red Dragon Inn to loading bay at Thornes warehouse. When he reaches the others, he surveys the scene and makes a quick mental note of those who are most likely to be accompanying the caravan on their journey, paying particular attention to the tall slender woman amongst them who seems busy with other affairs. Thays cheery greeting is met with contemptuous sneer, though fortunately, the young man is already busy with other things by the time Valdaris was able to respond. Waaaay too early to be in a good mood.

    After hearing the gnome and the elf announce themselves, Valdaris grunts to signal his own arrival to no-one in particular, though loud enough for those in the immediate vicinity to hear. I am Valdaris... Who heres in charge of this outfit?

    OOC
    Ill have no problem keeping up with the pace. It would be great if everyone is posting quite regularly if possible and we can really keep the momentum up.

    Since youre asking for opinions

    I think its better if each player includes any rolls that may apply whenever posting. Then, the DM can use the ones that are appropriate and ignore the rest. Players know their own stats best, are less likely to miss anything and can RP the results more accurately. Plus, it would make it easier on the DM.

    However, I think the DM should make any silent spot/listen rolls and anything else deemed appropriate.

  • #5
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voda Vosa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bahia Blanca, Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    10,840

    Ignore Voda Vosa
    Ciprinus walks next to the others, not introducing himself. This kind of things, city issues, dislikes him, all the mess, the shouts, the so called 'goods' been packed on the shoulders of the horses just to make their owner get profit. He looked at Felmin, his old donkey friend, who have carried out his stuff all the way. It was different, he didn't force Felmin to do so, he was the one who wanted to follow the druid. After all, Felmin life was much more pleasant than other donkeys. As Ciprinus looked at his donkey, Carpio sprout out of one of the saddle packs. The druid smiled
    "What's next? Do we have to wait for the cart to be loaded? I'm anxious to leave this town. Need some fresh air." says Ciprinus to his fellows guards.

    Spoiler:



    Spells ready:
    Level 0:
    Cure Minor Wounds x2
    Flare

    Level 1: (I do have spontaneous nature ally cast, don't I?)
    Entangle
    Cure light wounds
    Visit The Link Village of Voda Vosa in the RG for complete game links, and stuff!

  • #6

    Taelythenihel, Necromancer 1, AC 13, HP 4/4

    "Friends," Taelythenihel says, "I regret that when we met in the tavern, the sum total of my coinage was... this." She holds out her cupped hand, which is empty. "As a result, I am not prepared for this journey to my complete satisfaction. If any of you has a spare weapon with which to equip Ossa, I would be grateful for its loan. I believe she is adept with many weapons, though due to my poverty, she has only a dagger to go with her shield. Valdaris, while you fight with your sword, will you allow me the use of your longbow? Though I am not strong, I have practised with the bow in the past, of course. If we face a situation that does not require the expenditure of spells, I would much prefer to fight with bow than staff."

  • #7
    Valdaris looks over the mage with a weary eye, wondering what the hell hed got himself into. The longbow was a well-worn piece of equipment that had served him well many-a-time, though only him, and he was reluctant to part with his only ranged weapon. He weighs up the situation for a moment, before deciding to give her the weapon.

    Hrmph. You make me question what we are doing on this quest, Elf. Dont let me regret my decision.

    Valdaris gives Taelythanihel the bow and a quiver of twenty arrows, making sure that she knows how to use it [which is not a problem, since all elves are proficient with the longbow].

  • #8
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voda Vosa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bahia Blanca, Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    10,840

    Ignore Voda Vosa
    Ciprinus was looking over in Felmin bag when Valdaris gave the mage the bow.
    "Well, she could wear my sword, I have a spear too, but don't hope to see me in the front he he." said Ciprinus addressing Ossa, scimitar in hand. "Are you proficient with this kind of weapon?" he asks to her
    Visit The Link Village of Voda Vosa in the RG for complete game links, and stuff!

  • #9
    "Don't all volunteer to let me do all the hard work at once!" Valdaris says with disdain.

    "Some of you may actually need to get your hands dirty and fight if the need arises. You don't expect me to take the whole front-line single-handedly... do you?!"

  • #10
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voda Vosa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bahia Blanca, Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    10,840

    Ignore Voda Vosa
    "I'll be there with you Valdaris" Ciprinus clap the warriors back. "But just some feets bhind, remember I'm using a spear" the druid smiles.
    Visit The Link Village of Voda Vosa in the RG for complete game links, and stuff!

  • #11
    "Just as long as you're there." Valdaris replies, somewhat more reassured.

  • #12
    LEW Judge
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    orsal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,309

    Ignore orsal
    I can judge this one.

  • #13
    "I shall endeavour not to disappoint you," says Taelythenihel, bowing formally to Valdaris as she accepts the longbow. "However, I too have questioned our decision to escort these wagons for a mere 5 crowns apiece. I would suggest either that Alvar Thorne's thriftiness overwhelms his good sense, or that his wagons contain goods of small value, or that he is not overly concerned with their safety or the safety of his employees." She says this openly, unconcerned whether Thorne's employees are listening. "If any of these are the case, then nor should we be overly concerned, at least not to the point of dire threat to our lives. A week's free victuals and 5 crowns, the price a spellcaster would charge for a single cantrip - am I not correct, Ruud? - should purchase little more than that in defence of the wagons. Any more that I do, I do to defend myself, my servant, and you my companions."
    Taelythenihel notices Ciprinus standing with his scimitar outstretched towards Ossa. "She does very little without my express consent, Ciprinus," she says. "Ossa, please take the scimitar. Our thanks. That eases my concern. Now I think we have maximised our effectiveness."

    OOC: longbow +3 (+4 within 30'), 1d8-2, baby

  • #14
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Boddynock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,323

    Ignore Boddynock
    The woman looks up distractedly when the adventurers start to appear, but doesn't respond to their questions straight away. However, once she has given final instructions to the labourers, she moves towards the group, dusting her hands on the legs of her trews.

    Up close you can see that, although you wouldn't call her beautiful, she has a face which is pleasing, and eyes which look with bright intelligence at the newcomers.

    "My name is Allistra Thorne, and I'm the caravan marshall. I take it you're the adventurers my brother recruited last night."

    She pushes a stray wisp of dark hair from her cheek with the back of one hand as she looks over the prospective guards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drerek
    "Good morning, madam. Ruud von Nistelrooy at your service. Mr. Thorne said I should assemble here this morning to help in the escort of the caravan."
    Allistra essays a bow and says, "Good morning, Messir Ruud. You are welcome."

    Quote Originally Posted by Trouvere
    "My name is Taelythenihel. This is Ossa, my serving woman and bodyguard."
    The marshall narrows her eyes, and stares at the wizard for a moment before replying. Her gaze takes in the borrowed weapons and the silent Ossa behind her. "Ah yes, my brother mentioned you. You are the elf who accosted him outside the inn - the one who thinks she's worth 400 gold a week. His reply to your ultimatum was, 'If you are not prepared to cast your spells, I hope you can use a bow. Otherwise, you are not needed.' Although I see you have managed to borrow one from your comrades, so perhaps you are prepared to earn your keep."

    Then she turns to the others and greets them. "Valdaris. I'm glad to have a warrior along. And you must be Ciprinus. Good - a druid is always helpful in the wild. We'll endeavour to spend only such time as is necessary to turn a profit in the towns along our route."
    ..

    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

    "Run, my pretty little chunks of XP, run!" (Belkar, OOTS 115)

    My characters: Father Eusebius; Peladus Bralc; Ragnok Drakeforge; Tarag of Clan Durvinn

  • #15
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Boddynock's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,323

    Ignore Boddynock
    Quote Originally Posted by orsal
    I can judge this one.
    Thanks, orsal.
    ..

    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

    "Run, my pretty little chunks of XP, run!" (Belkar, OOTS 115)

    My characters: Father Eusebius; Peladus Bralc; Ragnok Drakeforge; Tarag of Clan Durvinn

  • #16
    "Four hundred crowns is a fair assessment, for myself and the other spellcasters," says Taelythenihel tightly. "Five crowns and trail rations equates to the casting of two cantrips or one spell apiece. Beyond that, we shall see whether shared companionship has a value of its own. But I shall accompany the wagons regardless. I am interested in visiting Ravensdale, which I have never seen, for my father had human business associates there a short while ago. I suppose their grandchildren might still be alive."

  • #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouvere
    ""If any of these are the case, then nor should we be overly concerned, at least not to the point of dire threat to our lives. A week's free victuals and 5 crowns, the price a spellcaster would charge for a single cantrip - am I not correct, Ruud?"
    Ruud nods, "Yep, but it's paying more than I was getting just sitting there at the Inn."

  • #18
    "Ah well. Each flake of snow makes the drift deeper, I suppose. Allistra Thorne, we are ready to depart."

  • #19
    Ahhh, so you are to lead this group? Then we are at your service, mlady.

    Valdaris replies as he takes a few steps closer to the woman with one hand on the hilt of his sword and the other across his abdomen, before he gives Allistra a modest bow. He pauses for a moment before continuing.

    Before we depart, I should like to know what resources we will have in our care. How many caravans and how many men (and women). And if I am to protect you effectively, I would know how many of them are capable of bearing arms, should the situation require?

    His eyes linger on her for a long moment, as he awaits Allistras response.

    As you have already seen, my comrade here came without weapon. Should you have an additional bow or crossbow that we could make use of for this journey, then it would no doubt aid us in ensuring no harm comes to this caravan, or yourself.

  • #20
    "Levethix othokent zara caex sthyr, shar arcaniss versvesh vyth," remarks Taelythenihel, in Draconic. "'The smart wizard stands behind the swordsman, but magic is stronger than steel.' I am not defenceless. Speaking of which, what languages do we have in common, for private speech may be of advantage in the presence of enemies?"

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. IVV1: The Forgotten Map [orsal judging]
      By InVinoVeritas in forum Living EN World
      Replies: 485
      Last Post: Friday, 12th June, 2009, 01:06 PM
    2. Slaves of the Dragon (orsal judging)
      By Knight Otu in forum Living EN World
      Replies: 869
      Last Post: Friday, 28th December, 2007, 12:59 AM
    3. Replies: 385
      Last Post: Tuesday, 1st August, 2006, 08:19 AM
    4. Short and Sweet [Orsal judging]
      By ajanders in forum Living EN World
      Replies: 83
      Last Post: Saturday, 24th December, 2005, 12:23 PM
    5. Festival of Halina (Orsal Judging)
      By Bront in forum Living EN World
      Replies: 1215
      Last Post: Friday, 7th October, 2005, 07:16 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •