Alvar Thorne & Associates, Part 1 - orsal judging

Trouvere

Explorer
"Your concern is appreciated," says Taelythenihel. "You may not have studied necromancy, Ruud, but you know much of the school of illusion. My thought is to risk upsetting our brave fighter and generous employer by once again withdrawing a distance from the group, ideally when encamped in the open in the evening, when I shall create a Silent Image of my servant, with her hood down to show her disfigured but very human face, and allow her to be seen by one or two of our company. I did something of the kind in the Red Dragon main gathering room with, I must admit, mixed results." [OOC: though, lacking a DM, those present were rather generous in their definition of 'interacted with' when it came to granting their characters Will saves!]

Voda Vosa

First Post
Ciprinus rides along the side of the wagons, with a serious expression on his face. He reminds of the proud eagle, as he looks the terrain ahead, like the rapace bird, looking for a prey.

Boddynock

First Post
After their eventful lunchtime stop, the whole party is happy to get underway again. Allistra frowns at the tensions apparent between members of the party but, as yet, says nothing.

Throughout the afternoon, the only sound is the clop of horses hooves and the creak of the wagons. They pass no-one, and there are no threats to their passage. Despite this - or, perhaps, because of it - the rest of the day drags interminably.

The time finally arrives, however, when Allistra signals a halt. This time they pull off the road a little, onto the flat plain through which they are travelling, and set up for the night. The weather is warm and the sky is clear but the party members still welcome the sight of the fire which Milak lights to cook the evening meal. After the tensions of the day, a good, hot meal will be very welcome.

Unfortunately, a good, hot meal is not forthcoming. Well, it is hot …

After a couple of mouthfulls, Allistra screws up her face, throws down her plate and says, “Milak, you promised me you were going to have some more lessons.”

“This stuff is terrible.”

She’s right.

Milak indignantly proclaims, “Ah don’t need onie lessons! Ah keep tellin' ye, Ah learnt frae th' Master Chef ay mah Clan - an' he said he’d ne'er tasted cookin' loch mine. Sae gonnae-no yer girnin'!”

He then spoons a huge dollop of the … stew? … into his mouth and chews loudly and defiantly.

Allistra snorts in disgust and says to the four guards, “Can any of you cook? I don’t know why we keep paying Milak as camp cook. His meals are always inedible. Jendral, remind me to take it up with that stubborn brother of mine when we get back!”

Jendral just rolls his eyes, and picks despondently at what’s in his plate.

“Look, if anyone can cook better than Milak - and let’s face it, it wouldn’t be hard - I’ll … I’ll double your pay. I don’t care about the profits. I’m sick of eating this swill.”

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
"I have no especial skill in the preparation of food. I can, however, make adjustments to the flavour and perhaps the consistency. I shall do so for myself and for any who make the request. You may describe to me a favourite dish, and I shall make the attempt." Taelythenihel spellcasts, and peers intently at her bowl. "Ah, venison, shallots, a dash of wine, I think."

OOC: T casts Prestidigitation and modifies the taste of her stew to... something more palatable. While the hour remains, she will use the spell freely, removing the stains of travel from her person, and providing any small service requested of her.[sblock=Spells prepared: ](0) Acid Splash; Acid Splash; Touch of Fatigue (DC 15); Prestidigitation
(1) Mage Armor; Color Spray (DC 16); Cause Fear (DC 16); Expeditious Retreat[/sblock]

Boddynock

First Post
"Venison, shallots and wine? Oh, that will do very nicely indeed!"

Allistra picks up her plate again, holds it out for magical enhancement, then sniffs appreciatively. Taking a mouthful, she groans in pleasure and says, "Taelythenihel, that is superb. Thank you very much. Consider yourself appointed cook for the trip - and if you keep this up, and the trading's good, I'll not only double the pay for you and your colleagues, I'll triple it!"

Trouvere

Explorer
Taelythenihel raises her eyebrows, but cannot keep from smiling. "Very well. I had intended to prepare this cantrip daily, so I shall use it at one meal time each day, when necessary. But your praise is too high. Although any alteration to flavour and aroma is real, in a sense the result is still fraudulent. Stale root bread made to taste of fresh lemon cake yet remains bread, and if it were kept for later would swiftly revert. And I must have starting material from which to work.
"Milak, shall we use my modifications to add the savour of herbs and spices which, perhaps, you do not have to hand, and to adjust your dishes for those who lack the... singularly discerning dwarven palate?" She blinks twice rapidly.

Boddynock

First Post
Milak looks suspiciously at the elf, then harumphs and nods grudgingly. He mutters to himself from time to time throughout the evening.

Deus Ex Machina

First Post
Before stopping to rest for the evening, Valdaris lays down his bedroll and gear somewhere between the fireplace and one of the caravans before going off to gather enough wood to keep the fire burning through the night and conduct a perimeter search of the campsite – taking only his bastard sword with him. If anything happened during the night, he wanted to know how far they were from the road, which direction any problem was likely to come from and what kind of distance there was to the caravans. He speaks with Allistra as he leaves.

“I’m going to check the site… an’ gather some wood. Won’t be long.”

He enjoys the opportunity to be alone for a while and takes his time. When he returns, he dumps a large pile of wood next to the fire and sits down to rest near the fire. He remains in his well-worn gear and lays his sword by his side as he unwinds from the days travel. Valdaris watches the exchange in silence, musing over the idea of using the talents of the wizard to ‘spice up’ the dish. He wasn’t a fussy eater, but anything that could improve the taste would be better, after all. He passes his dish forward.

“That is a neat little trick you have there. It may well find some use with us over the next few days!”

Voda Vosa

First Post
Ciprinus stand, a few steps away from the fireplace, with a serious expression in his face. Not that the incident with the elven mage get him upset, its just that he never liked fire very much.
When Valdaris went to gather wood, he went over to the wagons, and took Felmin with him. The donkey was happy to be at his master side once again, after a long day. Ciprinus took the saddle packs off his donkey and opened them. The druid took his bedroll and opened it a meter or so away from the bonefire. Next he played with both, Felmin and Carpio, as only a druid can, for a few minutes, and ate the dwarf potage, without complaining. Ciprinus knew the wizard could make some use of her cantrips if anything was to happen that night.
Before going to sleep, he speaks to Carpio:
"Well my friend, take good care of us, if anything is to happen, try to wake me up" he said. It was a very complex order for his animal, but he hoped Carpio could at least catch something.

Trouvere

Explorer
"I have no objection to taking first watch," says Taelythenihel. "Ossa can watch with me or take her own turn after mine. She is mute, of course, but if the need arises, she will beat her scimitar upon her shield to rouse you."

Remove ads